Blackbeard

Default Water heater dip tube replacement

You can make your own dip tube using 1/2" pipe. Use a flaring tool and
flare one end. The unflared end goes into the tank. The flared end is
what prevents the whole piece from dropping into your tank. This will
work for replacing a dip tube. However, the folks at A.O. Smith
discourage the use of homemade dip tubes. If you're in a pinch, you
can make your own. If you can spare a few days, visit your plumbing
supply house and have them order a new dip tube (make sure you have
the make/model of the water heater so they order the right one.)

On 1 Mar 2004 05:49:15 -0800, (Don) wrote:

i have a 50 gallon a0 smith tank that I think has a dip tube problem.
I have read somewhere about replacing the dip tube with 3/4 inch
copper pipe. Is this hard to do and how does the pipe attach to the
top of the tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

( By the way I missed that lawsuit so I cant get any help from that.)
I think my tank was manufactured in 96 or 97.)