Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Dip tube question

-----

In article ,
Charlie Bress wrote:
I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Charlie

In my area water heaters typically last at least twice the age of yours.
It may be difficult to replace the tube, particularly if there is little
headroom over the water heater, but woukd be worth the cost savings if
you could get another 8 or more years out of the heater.
Why do you think it has "failed?" It is just a piece of tubing or pipe.
The only one I have ever seen was one unintentionally removed when
unscrewing a fitting from a heater I was replacing. It was made of plastic.
I can't imagine what would make one fail.