Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dip tube question (replumbed, but how to drain the tank?)

On Apr 1, 5:29?pm, Grandpa wrote:
Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
How do you drain sediment? Did you put a second valve down there?
No, come to think of it, that wouldn't help. Unless you turned
off the shutoff to the house. Gravity drain it.

Instructions are hehttp://waterheaterrescue.com/

Yes, those instructions work great, but if you plumbed it the way
Nick said he did (reminder: cold water inlet to the drain valve
fitting, which is the post he's referring to) then Stormin's
question makes more sense. Just how does he drain the sediment? Or
does he worry about it at all?

BTW, I've installed one the Randy's curved dip tubes (from the
referenced site) and drain valve and it does seem to improve the
efficiency and the ability to flush the tank is way easier.
--
Grandpa

Many years ago I removed the anodes, dip tube and drain valve,
converting a HW tank to a water storage tank I put on hill for my mom,
it supplied garden water from a natural spring. ended up getting some
fittings welded back on.

it worked great till she moved, and there was enough pressure to run a
oscillating sprinkler or wash cars, stuff like that.