Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Dip tube question

"Charlie Bress" wrote:

I suspect the dip tube in my water heater has failed. Is it practical to
replace the tube? After years in various houses this is the first time this
has happened.
The tank in question is eight years old. Repair or replace? I don't know the
make off hand. The tank is in an inconvenient place.

Theoretically, yes. You disconnect the supply line at the tank, then try to
remove the nylon dip tube or what's left of it. Practically, I've never seen it
done. Unless the tank is brand new, the fitting is usually corroded enough that
it isn't possible to remove the tube. You'd probably have to get a replacement
tube direct from the manufacturer as well.

While 8 years is on the lower side of the expected life of a water heater, I'd
just replace the whole thing. If you did it yourself it shouldn't cost more than
$400 or so, depending on size and how skilled you are. Electric is simpler than
gas to deal with, as with gas you need to make sure you don't have any gas leaks
afterwards and that you haven't screwed up the venting.