larry moe 'n curly

Default Water heater dip tube -- that little hole

The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

Joseph Meehan

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

I seem to remember something about that. As I recall it makes no
difference where it points.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

TURTLE

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
larry moe 'n curly wrote:
The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

I seem to remember something about that. As I recall it makes no
difference where it points.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.

You got me confussed here. I just can't picture a Dip Tube 1/8" Plastic ,
mounted on the side, and pointed in any direction. Can you explain to me what it
being talked about ?

TURTLE

Don Young

It is to prevent siphoning the water back out of the heater if the water
pressure is lost. It makes no difference which way it is turned.
Don Young
"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

Joseph Meehan

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

I seem to remember something about that. As I recall it makes no
difference where it points.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

This is Turtle.

You got me confussed here. I just can't picture a Dip Tube 1/8"
Plastic , mounted on the side, and pointed in any direction. Can you
explain to me what it being talked about ?

TURTLE

I believe the OP was referring to a standard dip tube and was talking
about a 1/8" hole in the side of the dip tube near the top of the dip tube.

I think Don explained the reason it is there.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

TURTLE

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
[...]

i sure never heard of that hole being there but now I don't install hot water
tanks for a living.

TURTLE

Bob Pietrangelo

Take that dip tube and drill that 1/8" hole with a 1/2" or larger
drill bit, or better yet, replace it entirely with a piece of real
pipe. While you are doing this, be sure to call your congressman and
cuss at the S.O.B.

PS. As far as toilets, they are not as easy to modify. I prefer
finding a decent older toilet, and rebuilding it.

Mark

On 6 Feb 2005 15:17:33 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

--

If you drill out the top of the dip tube, which is where that 1/8" hole is,
wouldn't that just recycle cold water at the top of the tank, therefore

Bob Pietrangelo

www.comfort-solution.biz

Joseph Meehan

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
[...]

I don't recall where I had heard of it myself. I have never replaced a
dip tube myself. I did have one done for free after the big plastic dip
tube recall. I did not even bother to watch the guy.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Harry K

And yet another useless piece of crap called a "water saver". In
reality it dont save any water, just wastes your time. It takes 2 or
3 times as long to fill the bathtub, wash machine, kitchen sink, etc.
Plumbers put in 1/2", 3/4" or larger pipes so some yahoo sitting in a
government office finds a way to defeat all the work the plumber did
to give you, the user some decent water pressure. It's about the

same
as these so called "water saver" toilets. Instead of using 5 gallons
to flush, they use 2 1/2 gals. But you got to flush the goddamn
things 3 times to get the **** to go down the hole, and half the time
use a plunger. So instead of getting a decent flush, using 5

gallons,
you got to fight with the damn toilet, and in the end you use 7 1/2
gallons to finally get the **** down the hole. Of course, the
government dont see it that way. They only rate the amount of water
needed PER FLUSH. So what if you have to flush it 3 times. Then
there are these stupid little "water savers" in shower heads, basin
faucet aerators, etc. So, you use less water per second, but you

have
to spend 3 or more times as long in the shower.

This is about the same as if you owe someone $100. Instead of paying
the $100 today, you decide to pay $5 a month for 20 months. After 20
months, you have paid the full $100, but add to that the interest,
postage stamps, envelopes, blank checks, and your time. Nothing is
free. You CAN NOT save water and accomplish the same goal by

reducing
pressure and efficiency. You CAN save water by your own efforts.
Thinks like not leaving the water run while you wash dishes, not
flushing everytime you drop a nose tissue in the toilet, washing full
loads of laundry instead of one item, etc. But you CAN NOT save

water
by reducing the flow.

When I see any of those water saving devices, which in most cases are
nothing more than a plastic disk with a tiny hole, I remove them,
drill them out, or do whatever it takes to eliminate them.

wrote:

The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

You seem to be a bit confused in your rant although I do agree with
most of it.

The hole being talked about is an "anti-siphon" hole per Don. It has
nothing at all to do with the volume of water delivered when you open a
fixture. It is also on the -inlet- pipe, not the outlet.

Harry K

Stormin Mormon

I believe the two of you are talking about different devices.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

Stormin Mormon

I think he jumped to a mistaken conclusion by skipping the OP's well worded
post.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
And yet another useless piece of crap called a "water saver". In
reality it dont save any water, just wastes your time. It takes 2 or

Could you have sent this to the wrong thread????

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Stormin Mormon

I used to know the answer to that one. I installed a dip tube a couple
months ago. It makes no differnce which direction.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8" hole a few
inches from the top. What's the purpose of this hole, and what
direction should it face?

Stormin Mormon

The AO Smith dip tube I installed last year had such a hole.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TURTLE" wrote in message
. ..

This is Turtle.

i sure never heard of that hole being there but now I don't install hot
water
tanks for a living.

TURTLE

larry moe 'n curly

Don Young wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...

The plastic dip tube in my heater was made with a 1/8"
hole a few inches from the top. What's the purpose of
this hole, and what direction should it face?

It is to prevent siphoning the water back out of the heater
if the water pressure is lost. It makes no difference which
way it is turned.

Thanks, Don. Now I don't have to worry if I installed the tube wrong
or not. I originally thought the hole was for stirring up the
water around the thermostat to prevent a hot spot next to it that would
turn it off at too low a temperature.

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM