Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wallpaper removal question

Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 10:29 am, "david" wrote:
Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

Not sure but it sounds like you tore off most of the drywall paper
when you removed the wallpaper. Brand new, the paper itself is more
white than brown in my mind. What you are seeing is probably the
remnants of the drywall paper still clinging to the wall.

Hard to say without seeing it but I'm guessing that it is best to
remove it if you are planning to paint. Using a sharp scraper to get
under the edge and then try to get it off in big strips. After that
you can use sand paper to remove what's left. I like to use an oil
based primer on drywall with that kind of damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 10:29 am, "david" wrote:
[...]

By "drywall paper", are you talking about what's part of the drywall when
you buy it, or some second thing that might've been applied before the
wallpaper?

If the former, and he removes it all, isn't he going to run into the gypsum?
Can that be painted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

.....and fed to hungry wolves.

The previous owners of this house left some extra wallpaper in the basement.
The package says it's suitable for moist environments. Bull****. The stuff's
peeling 1/4 inch a week, and I have a monster bathroom fan that everyone
uses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 10:46 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 26, 10:29 am, "david" wrote:
[...]

Can that be painted?- Hide quoted text -

It can be painted. A skim coat can be used if it is really rough.
Oil base primer will help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

??? My bathrooms have ALWAYS had wallpaper and they've never peeled. We
rarely run the exhaust fans when taking showers, either. I put wallpaper in
my mother's bathroom 10 years ago, and it still looks great today, with no
peeling. What's the big deal? I can't understand how anyone can put up with
flat, painted walls. No pattern, no texture. Yuck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume that you just pull the wallpaper off without wetting it. If
so, the brown paper left on the wall is the backing of the wallpaper.
Spray it with water and let the water soak in. With luck, the brown
backing will then be easly removed with a scraper (a putty knife works
well). After removal, make sure all the glue from the wallpaper has
been removed. Use DIF (a solution made to soften the glue) if
necessary. The wallpaper backing must be removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 10:29 am, "david" wrote:
[...]

I have stripped a wallpaper that was thick and had a brown paper backing.
These were in kitchens and bathrooms where there was a surface coating of a
water resistant type, and the backing is just for protection. I have
stripped about two thousand sf of wallpaper. There are lots of it, some
foil thin, and other as thick as posterboard.

It is difficult to tell without looking at this whether it is backing or
drywall. Spray some plain water on it, and let it sit for about five
minutes. Rub lightly or scrape lightly and see if the backing comes off
down to the paper surface layer of the drywall.

Soaking and slow peeling and scraping are the secret to removing wallpaper.
Use plain water, and allow it to set long enough to soften the layer you
want to remove. Don't overwet, as you want it to soak in rather than run
down. Use any old spray bottle. Use the plastic yellow scrapers that they
sell cheap for drywall mud.

Good luck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 10:47 am, wrote:
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

The house was built in 97. Yes I did dry pull it. So i should be
ripping out the brown paper as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

What you are seeing is the backing of the wall paper.
the wallpaper has separated and the glue is still on the wall, leaving you
with the vinyl/whaterever in your hand,
that brown stuff has to come off, usually with lots of hard work.
if you paint over it you will forever see bumps and rough patches.
I found using a lot of water, to soften the glue and a good scrapper to be
the best method of removing.
however, in one room it was so bad that it was easier to just put a coat
of mud over the entire room to clean up the bumps.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 11:24 am, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

hi
Please click this link.
http://www.zinsser.com/ProjectDetails.asp?ProjectID=36

First of all i can't tell from the link whether the brown paper is the
drywall paper or the wall paper covering?
Secondly the talk about leaving it in place/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 10:47 am, wrote:
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

The house was built in 97. Yes I did dry pull it. So i should be
ripping out the brown paper as well?

Yes, you should be removing the brown paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW:

I remember the tv ads when vinyl wallpaper came out, and I am sure they used
to show that the idea of the backing was especially to allow you to pull off
the top layer without wetting and then the lower layer gave you a nice easy
surface to paste on the new.

Also, painting bathroom walls then makes it very difficult to change your
mind later and go for paper, and if you have made the mistake of putting
gloss straight on the wall you can kiss goodbye to ever getting it off again
or getting any paper to stay stuck. (See other threads on this topic).

After spending an age chipping and caustic sodaing the gloss paint off my
bathroom walls many yeras ago, I treated the plaster with (Zinc sulphate)
fungicide, then lining paper, and only then gloss, and it stayed stuck and
bug free ever since. (Much nicer than all the black moldy grout I can never
seem to beat in tiles!)

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 11:24 am, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

david wrote:
Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

You can't rip off the suface of the drywall very easily, so I would
think it is just the remains of the wallpaper. Wallpaper paste just
isn't that strong. Spray some water of the brown stuff, saturate and
let soak about 15 min. You will probably find nice, intact drywall when
you scrape away the brown paper. If you scrape too hard .. and
wallpaper paste doesn't require force .. you will gouge the wallboard.
That takes effort )

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

....and fed to hungry wolves.

The previous owners of this house left some extra wallpaper in the basement.
The package says it's suitable for moist environments. Bull****. The stuff's
peeling 1/4 inch a week, and I have a monster bathroom fan that everyone
uses.

Stays up just fine in my baths and kitchens. Gotta put it up right,
prep right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

david wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:47 am, wrote:

In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

The house was built in 97. Yes I did dry pull it. So i should be
ripping out the brown paper as well?

"Strippable" and vinyl coated papers usually have the brown paper
backing, I believe. I have taken down a good deal of wallpaper that was
put up by previous residents. My present vinyl coated wallpaper has
paper backing (of course) but it isn't brown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 11:24 am, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

well,

the color of the wallboard/drywall paper should be the same color as the
primer that was used to paint the house.
usually white ish. so if what you have is brown, its most likely the
backing paper.
try wetting it and scrapping it off, if there is a smooth white surface
below, thats your primed wall board.

worst possible scenario is that the wallpaper was put on without the drywall
being primed....
then you are in for a fight. it will be tough to separate the backing paper
from the drywall facing, again still often a light color, or maybe green
in wet locations.

as for that product, I don't know why I would pay for something else if I
can simply use drywall mud to cover any gouges/holes/mess points.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 1:33 pm, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 26, 11:24 am, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

The drywall is primed and the wall paper backing seems to be coming
out easily when i applied water but it is taking time.

These are the steps I will be following to paint my bathroom. I will
not be texturing the wall. Please let me know if i am on the right
track

- Remove wall paper along with brown paper backing i plan on using a
plastic scrapper with vinegar and water.
- Apply shellac and use joint compound to correct any blemishes will
removing paper.
- Prime with an oil primer tainted with color I will be painting the
wall with
- Apply two coats of paint.

Thanks

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" writes:

Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

The brown paper is part of the wallpaper.
I spray on soapy water, (dish detergent is ok)
let it soak then take it
off with a scraper. Stubborn little bits come off
easily with a plastic scrub pad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 1:33 pm, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 26, 11:24 am, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
"david" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

sounds good from here,
make sure you sand all your joint compound fixes really well,
you can thin the joint compound out by mixing in a bit more water if
necessary.

I don't know about oil primers vs other primers,

I've used Killz quite successfully in the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 10:47 am, wrote:
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

The house was built in 97. Yes I did dry pull it. So i should be
ripping out the brown paper as well?

NOT ripping it out. You'll never get it. You need to soak it enough to get
the glue wet. Brown paper backing is easier than regular wallpaper, as you
can tell from the darkness when the water has soaked in. Rub off lightly,
or scrape off lightly with a plastic scraper the stuff that is wet down to
the glue. Wipe with clean damp rags to get most of the glue. Rinse rags or
use different rags moist with clean water to get all the glue. Getting all
the glue is VERY important to the next step, painting.

It's slow. It's tedious. It's boring. Take your time so that you don't
have any drywall repairs of gouges in addition to the wallpaper removal.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

The drywall is primed and the wall paper backing seems to be coming
out easily when i applied water but it is taking time.

These are the steps I will be following to paint my bathroom. I will
not be texturing the wall. Please let me know if i am on the right
track

- Remove wall paper along with brown paper backing i plan on using a
plastic scrapper with vinegar and water.

Water is fine. When you have had the wall pretty wet from spraying and
soaking off the paper, it is a good idea to let it dry out for a day so
you don't soften the paper covering of the wallboard.

Be sure, when all done, to use a light across surface of the wall to
help spot left-over paste, as it can retain texture and show that
through paint. Generally, if the wall no longer feels slippery when
washing it down, the paste is gone.

- Apply shellac and use joint compound to correct any blemishes will
removing paper.

Shellac?
- Prime with an oil primer tainted with color I will be painting the
wall with

If you use an oil primer, be sure to let the patching compound cure
thoroughly. Spot prime, then prime all over.
- Apply two coats of paint.

Thanks

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
link.net...
clipped

[...]

[snip]

Actually it's neither difficult or messy to remove wallpaper. Use a tool
which scores the paper to allow the liquid to get behind the paper and
attack the adhesive, and use a wall paper removal enzyme. Sherwin Williams
and other places that sell wallpaper should have both -- the scoring tool is
called "Paper Tiger" (one brand name) and you simply roll it around on the
wall paper. Then spray the wall paper with the enzyme ("Dif" wallpaper
remover from Zinnser is one brand), wait for a few minutes, and the paper
should come right off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote

Actually it's neither difficult or messy to remove wallpaper.

I can tell you haven't done much of this or any at all.

Use a tool
which scores the paper to allow the liquid to get behind the paper and
attack the adhesive, and use a wall paper removal enzyme.

Why pay for an enzyme when water is the best thing to use. It's a glue made
from plant matter. Add water, and it becomes soft. No need to buy
expensive enzymes.

Sherwin Williams
and other places that sell wallpaper should have both -- the scoring tool
is called "Paper Tiger" (one brand name) and you simply roll it around on
the wall paper. Then spray the wall paper with the enzyme ("Dif"
wallpaper remover from Zinnser is one brand), wait for a few minutes, and
the paper should come right off.

I hate that word "should". Truth is, yes, this works. Somewhat. In some
areas, and on some types of wall paper, it takes several rounds of doing
this to get it all. Then you have to remove the glue from the wall, and all
the time, trying not to get it so saturated that you rub off the paper next
to the drywall.

Is this rocket surgery? No.

Is it messy? Yes.

Is it easy? Yes. It is so easy that it will take only about a day to two
days to do a bathroom. I mean, it's not hard like digging fence holes or
pouring concrete.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in news:1174922995.373884.173610
@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

What you are doing is how I find it easiest to remove wallpaper. Remove
the surface by peeling, not ripping, off the wall. The brown paper
backing separates. Wet the paper backing left with rag and warm water.
Let it sit 5 min. Wet it again. Sit 5 min. Should scrape off very easily
with a putty knife. DOn;y let it dry before scraping. If not, try a 3rd
wetting. If still not, oh boy.

The drywall surface is grey but hopefully was painted when installed. If
you get below the grey surface, you will see brown drywall paper. Not
good to get to that point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

??? My bathrooms have ALWAYS had wallpaper and they've never peeled. We
rarely run the exhaust fans when taking showers, either. I put wallpaper
in my mother's bathroom 10 years ago, and it still looks great today, with
no peeling. What's the big deal? I can't understand how anyone can put up
with flat, painted walls. No pattern, no texture. Yuck.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess- I hate wallpaper- makes it
impossible to change anything mounted on the wall, patch holes, change
colors, etc. You want patterns, paint a mural or use stencils.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

h wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

??? My bathrooms have ALWAYS had wallpaper and they've never peeled. We
rarely run the exhaust fans when taking showers, either. I put wallpaper
in my mother's bathroom 10 years ago, and it still looks great today,
with no peeling. What's the big deal? I can't understand how anyone can
put up with flat, painted walls. No pattern, no texture. Yuck.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess- I hate wallpaper- makes it
impossible to change anything mounted on the wall, patch holes, change
colors, etc. You want patterns, paint a mural or use stencils.

aem sends....

Again ??? How does wallpaper versus paint affect anything mounted on the
wall or patching holes? Paint is MUCH more of a hassle. With paint you have
to fill the hole and then hope that your leftover paint is still good and
still matches the wall color. With wallpaper you don't even have to fill the
hole if you're lazy, you slap a small piece of wallpaper over the hole, use
a razor to cut a small, irregular circle through both the new piece and
what's on the wall, pull the cut out off the wall, and apply the new patch.
Takes about 5 minutes, and it will always match. For changing colors, you
just take down the old wallpaper and put up new, just like you'd have to
paint to change colors. As far as a mural (euwwww) or stencils, if I
stenciled an entire room it would take weeks, and look just like wallpaper
if I did it right. Why on earth would I do that when I can put up wallpaper
in one day? Also, I've never lived in a house built after 1900. Old houses
are supposed to have wallpaper. They just look "wrong", flat, boring, and
unfinished without it. Painted walls scream modern tract house. As always,
however, YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 8:26 am, h wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

h wrote in m...

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

If you were the one that papered the room, and if you thought to keep
a spare roll of the same pattern, that may be true. Ever try matching
20 year old wallpaper, on a house that had paper when you bought it?
To make it look right, I'm gonna have to strip entire room (including
pulling the vanity and WC for access), and either repaper, or skim-
coat and paint, all to patch a hole where a duct was removed.

Seriously thinking of cheating and mounting a mirror over the spot.

Yeah, I have good reason to dislike wallpaper.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 27, 8:26 am, h wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

h wrote in m...

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Ok, THAT must be a total bummer. I always keep a spare roll or two when I
paper, and with my current house, I was fortunate to find a closet full of
wallpaper rolls which had been saved for at least 100 years. There was some
for every paper on the walls, and a TON of rolls which were no longer in
use. When I re-did the living room I found 6 layers of paper before I got to
the plaster (how lazy do you have to be to paper over paper?), and I had a
spare roll for each of those layers! I donated the stuff from the 1800s to
the local historical society. There was enough of one of the papers for them
to put it up in a hallway of their Victorian display house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote in message ...

Ok, THAT must be a total bummer. I always keep a spare roll or two when I
paper, and with my current house, I was fortunate to find a closet full of
wallpaper rolls which had been saved for at least 100 years. There was
some for every paper on the walls, and a TON of rolls which were no longer
in use.

You bought your house from the most considerate seller in the entire history
of the planet.

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 7:44 pm, wrote:
I cant standwallpaper- looks incredibly cheap to me. I took thewallpaperof my house first thing.

Umm, no, wallpaper is MUCH more expensive than paint, looks much more
polished, finished, and complete. You're just poor, misinformed, have
no taste, or, most likely, all of the above.

Oh, and did you mean that your took the wallpaper "off" your house or
"of" your house? Right, wallpaper looks "cheap"...only to trailer
trash, "Big" jim...snicker...as if

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 3:32 pm, Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

Shellac doesn't make any sense to me either.

- Prime with an oil primer tainted with color I will be painting the
wall with

I don't see any real advantage to using an oil based primer, rather
than latex.

If you use an oil primer, be sure to let the patching compound cure
thoroughly. Spot prime, then prime all over.

- Apply two coats of paint.

Thanks

thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna wrote:
h wrote in message ...

Ok, THAT must be a total bummer. I always keep a spare roll or two
when I paper, and with my current house, I was fortunate to find a
closet full of wallpaper rolls which had been saved for at least
100 years. There was some for every paper on the walls, and a TON
of rolls which were no longer in use.

You bought your house from the most considerate seller in the entire
history of the planet.

Donna

Yup, same here! There were several rolls of wallpaper in a closet in the
basement the previous owner left when we bought this old house almost 20
years ago. Still there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , krw wrote:

The thing I really appreciated from the previous owners of this house
was a folder with all the manuals and warranty information for the
appliances. They've come in very handy over the years.

Oh man, that really helps. I was similarly fortunate when I
purchased my current home. The seller was a realtor and she
did an outstanding job with those documents including receipts
for some earlier minor repairs plus extra paint, tiles and
other assorted paraphernalia.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , krw wrote:

The thing I really appreciated from the previous owners of this house
was a folder with all the manuals and warranty information for the
appliances. They've come in very handy over the years.

Oh man, that really helps. I was similarly fortunate when I
purchased my current home. The seller was a realtor and she
did an outstanding job with those documents including receipts
for some earlier minor repairs plus extra paint, tiles and
other assorted paraphernalia.

When I sold my last home, I left manuals for the appliances in a kitchen
drawer, along with schematic for the sprinkler system.

Wallpaper removal bob UK diy 42 January 11th 06 03:11 PM
wallpaper removal al UK diy 10 December 31st 04 03:44 PM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
Wallpaper removal question Grendel Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 05:27 PM
Wallpaper removal Sal Malva Home Repair 9 October 19th 03 01:16 AM