Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Wallpaper removal question

david wrote:
Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

You can't rip off the suface of the drywall very easily, so I would
think it is just the remains of the wallpaper. Wallpaper paste just
isn't that strong. Spray some water of the brown stuff, saturate and
let soak about 15 min. You will probably find nice, intact drywall when
you scrape away the brown paper. If you scrape too hard .. and
wallpaper paste doesn't require force .. you will gouge the wallboard.
That takes effort )