Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default Wallpaper removal question

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

What you are seeing is the backing of the wall paper.
the wallpaper has separated and the glue is still on the wall, leaving you
with the vinyl/whaterever in your hand,
that brown stuff has to come off, usually with lots of hard work.
if you paint over it you will forever see bumps and rough patches.
I found using a lot of water, to soften the glue and a good scrapper to be
the best method of removing.
however, in one room it was so bad that it was easier to just put a coat
of mud over the entire room to clean up the bumps.

Dave