Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Wallpaper removal question

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 10:47 am, wrote:
In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made?
If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from
the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in
a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

The house was built in 97. Yes I did dry pull it. So i should be
ripping out the brown paper as well?

NOT ripping it out. You'll never get it. You need to soak it enough to get
the glue wet. Brown paper backing is easier than regular wallpaper, as you
can tell from the darkness when the water has soaked in. Rub off lightly,
or scrape off lightly with a plastic scraper the stuff that is wet down to
the glue. Wipe with clean damp rags to get most of the glue. Rinse rags or
use different rags moist with clean water to get all the glue. Getting all
the glue is VERY important to the next step, painting.

It's slow. It's tedious. It's boring. Take your time so that you don't
have any drywall repairs of gouges in addition to the wallpaper removal.

Steve