Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Liz

Default Wallpaper removal not going so well...

My boyfriend and I just moved into a house where the previous owner
apparently collected and loved horrendous wallpaper. We made removing
it and painting our very first priority. We've had no problem in most
of the rooms, some of it was even the peel-off kind. Then we got to
the kitchen...

After a few days of exploration (peeling away different levels,
experiementing with the DIF wallpaper gel stuff I bought) I think I've
figured out what's going on in there. The outer-most layer is your
basic kitchen wallpaper with the vinyl on the outside that you can
peel off by hand and then the paper layer under it. This stuff is
pretty easy to get off with the wallpaper removal tools that I bought,
no problems there. Under that, however, is where the nightmare begins.
Apparently rather than taking down the old, original wallpaper, the
previous owners decided that paining over it (!!) would be a good
idea, then they papered over that.

The only successful way that I've found to get this stuff off is to
pull it off in one big layer. I remove the outer layer of wallpaper
first and try to get down to the paint layer. I then soak it with the
DIF gel and pull off the paint and the original wallpaper off by hand,
which comes of it good-sized sheets. The result of this so far has
been only vaguely successful. On the one hand, the majority of the
walls look fine (I'm not sure if they were primed first or not, what
do I look for?) and just need the original paste washed off. In other
spots the paper backing on the drywall comes off with the wallpaper
and leaves brown gashes in my walls.

So questions a 1) Is there any better way to get the wallpaper off
than what I'm doing? The holes that I'm gouging in the paper are
relatively small so far, but I don't want to make it any worse. 2) How
do I fix these holes? I've heard that I can put some drywall tape over
them and spackle and sand and sand and it should be ok. Is that true?
Re-drywalling is not an option. 3) There is a convex corner where the
builders used the basic metal corner thing and applied the joint
compound right to that with no tape or paper or anything. Is that
normal? Either way, the joint compound behind the removed paper has
all fallen off and the bare metal is exposed. How do I fix that? 4)
We're planning on painting once we get all this wallpaper off. Are
there any special steps (aside from the obvious priming that needs to
be done over the bare drywall) that need to be done to make it either
viable at all or easier?

Thanks so much for any help, we definitely need it. I don't know how
much longer we can live with this horrible wallpaper!
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Liz wrote:
My boyfriend and I just moved into a house where the previous owner
apparently collected and loved horrendous wallpaper. We made removing
it and painting our very first priority. We've had no problem in most
of the rooms, some of it was even the peel-off kind. Then we got to
the kitchen...

Why must you remove it all? Simply remove what will easily come off,
and put your new paper over that.

--
Rich Greenberg Work: Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com + 1 770 563 6656
N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Andy Hill

Sounds like you've got one of those situations where you're just going to have
to bite the bullet and skim coat the drywall (with drywall mud) before texturing
and painting.
Mike

Hi Liz,

I feel your pain and the thought or sight of wallpaper now makes me cringe.
One of my bedrooms had this horrendous strip of tazmanian devil wallpaper
across the top. It resisted everything including the DIF gel.

I ended up renting a wallpaper steamer from Home Depot. It was the _only_
thing that worked. Maybe you should consider this.

8 hours later, and after cursing the tazmanian devil several times, the
wallpaper is gone. What remained is some spots where the layers of paint
were removed down to the bare, rough plaster. I used joint compound to
smooth out those large sections and sanded it smooth once dry. Primed and
painted. Total time spent for a small bedroom was probably 30 hours, but
well worth the effort.

Good luck,
Mike

"Liz" wrote in message
om...
[...]

David W.

(Liz) wrote in
om:

[...]

You can get a tool at most home centers, Wal-Mart, etc. (called the Paper
Tiger by Zinsser) that you roll over the wallpaper, and knives score the
paper (but not the wall). Rent a wallpaper steamer (or buy one... I think
Wagner has a small one for about $50), and once you've scored the paper,
use the steamer and a 4" or 6" putty knife to scrape the softened paper
away. If there are many layers, you may need to run the scoring tool over
an area again after removing the initial layers. Eventually, you'll get
down to bare wall. Be carefull if the the wall surface is drywall, it's
easy to scrape through the paper surface of it.

Liz

I just removed a 10" border. I used a wet towel and a steam iron. It came
off much easier than I thought it would.

Should the area where the border was, be thoroughly washed, to remove the
residue of clue? Also should it be primed?
thanks

You can get a tool at most home centers, Wal-Mart, etc. (called the Paper
Tiger by Zinsser) that you roll over the wallpaper, and knives score the
paper (but not the wall). Rent a wallpaper steamer (or buy one... I think
Wagner has a small one for about $50), and once you've scored the paper,
use the steamer and a 4" or 6" putty knife to scrape the softened paper
away. If there are many layers, you may need to run the scoring tool over
an area again after removing the initial layers. Eventually, you'll get
down to bare wall. Be carefull if the the wall surface is drywall, it's
easy to scrape through the paper surface of it.

Liz

Thanks for the info Sandra. Yes, it was painted under the border.
We will give it a good washing.

Liz

Sandra Loosemore wrote in message
I just removed a 10" border. I used a wet towel and a steam iron. It came
off much easier than I thought it would.

Should the area where the border was, be thoroughly washed, to remove the
residue of clue? Also should it be primed?

Yes to washing -- multiple times, if necessary, to get all the slime
off. Plain water is all you need. If you're going to prime, do the
entire wall and not just the part where the border was. If the wall
was already painted under the border, though, you shouldn't need to
prime before repainting unless you're making a drastic color change.

-Sandra