Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wallpaper removal question

On Mar 26, 3:32 pm, Norminn wrote:
clipped

The drywall is primed and the wall paper backing seems to be coming
out easily when i applied water but it is taking time.

These are the steps I will be following to paint my bathroom. I will
not be texturing the wall. Please let me know if i am on the right
track

- Remove wall paper along with brown paper backing i plan on using a
plastic scrapper with vinegar and water.

Water is fine. When you have had the wall pretty wet from spraying and
soaking off the paper, it is a good idea to let it dry out for a day so
you don't soften the paper covering of the wallboard.

Be sure, when all done, to use a light across surface of the wall to
help spot left-over paste, as it can retain texture and show that
through paint. Generally, if the wall no longer feels slippery when
washing it down, the paste is gone.

- Apply shellac and use joint compound to correct any blemishes will
removing paper.

Shellac?

Shellac doesn't make any sense to me either.

- Prime with an oil primer tainted with color I will be painting the
wall with

I don't see any real advantage to using an oil based primer, rather
than latex.

If you use an oil primer, be sure to let the patching compound cure
thoroughly. Spot prime, then prime all over.

- Apply two coats of paint.

Thanks

thanks- Hide quoted text -