Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Default Wallpaper removal

I have recently been doing some wallpaper stripping from a wall in my
home and I came across a valuable idea. When I dampened the wallpaper
with a sponge and let the water soak in, the paper seemed to peel of
rather easily. Maybe others have found that using water is a good idea?
I was thinking that maybe I could patent the idea of using a bucket and
sponge- any thoughts on that? A friend of mine had the answer of not
having to strip wallpaper anymore - he emulsions his walls instead
using an emulsion pad but that tends to leave streaks on his walls. I
suggested to him that he use an emulsion brush which I feel is a good
idea. The reason water makes wallpaper easily removable is that
wallpaper paste is mixed with water so therefore the water returns the
dried paste to its original paste form. Wallpaper paste can be quite
tricky to mix. I tend to mix it with a little water first to ensure a
good smootheness. If it is lumpy the paste will leave bumps beneath the
paper which is an unsightly sight if one stands at 45 degrees to the
wall. Therefore i suggest mixing it thoroughly before use. Bob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

bob wrote:
I have recently been doing some wallpaper stripping from a wall in my
home and I came across a valuable idea. When I dampened the wallpaper
with a sponge and let the water soak in, the paper seemed to peel of
rather easily.

Oh! gawd now- he tells me after all these years.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On 3 Jan 2006 14:12:01 -0800, "bob" wrote:

I have recently been doing some wallpaper stripping from a wall in my
home and I came across a valuable idea. When I dampened the wallpaper
with a sponge and let the water soak in, the paper seemed to peel of
rather easily. Maybe others have found that using water is a good idea?

I am indebted to you forever for this tip sir!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

bob wrote:

I have recently been doing some wallpaper stripping from a wall in my
home and I came across a valuable idea. When I dampened the wallpaper
with a sponge and let the water soak in, the paper seemed to peel of
rather easily. Maybe others have found that using water is a good
idea? I was thinking that maybe I could patent the idea of using a
bucket and sponge- any thoughts on that?

I think you're a bit late! Devices like http://tinyurl.com/bpjln - which
use steam rather than water - have been around since Adam was a lad!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

bob wrote:
I was thinking that maybe I could patent the idea of using a
bucket and sponge- any thoughts on that?

Wow! This time next year, you could be
a...............................................

.............................. complete ****.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Oh! Back to the drawing board then! Bob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was thinking that maybe I could patent the idea of using a
bucket and sponge- any thoughts on that?

The Romans used a system invented by Urinus Extractimus.

I had no idea that wallpaper paste was mixed using water. I thought it
was ready made by Shiphams of Chichester.

Regards Pastor O'Walls

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Urinus Extractimus - I like it! Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

I found that if you hold the wallpaper up with drawing pins,it
COMPLETELY eliminates any future 'water / sponge / brush / scraper'
unpleasantness. As an added advantage you can make little pictures out
of the drawing pin heads. I have a wall made completely of drawing
pins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Thats Kool. Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Looks like Bob has brought to an end these regular discussions on the
merits of sds drills. Water! Blimey! Don't half feel stupid now, ah do!

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

"bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thats Kool. Bob

Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting to
hammer and chisel?
TIA, you are obviously an expert and I bow to your brilliance.
Better yet, maybe you could come round and assess the situation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

fred wrote:

Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting to
hammer and chisel?

One of these actually makes it quite easy:

TIA, you are obviously an expert and I bow to your brilliance.
Better yet, maybe you could come round and assess the situation?

better still do it for you ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On 3 Jan 2006 14:12:01 -0800, "bob" wrote:

I was thinking that maybe I could patent the idea of using a bucket and
sponge- any thoughts on that?

You have made the fatal mistake of revealing your idea before
patenting it!

Sponix dashes off to patent office

Bwahahahahahaah!

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Oh darn it! bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

fred wrote:
Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting to
hammer and chisel?

Woodchip wallpaper comes off very easily with a sponge and a bucket of
water but the water must be wet enough to soak in for at least an hour.
Failing that, just sit there and question yourself as to why you hung
woodchip wallpaper in the first place. bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

fred wrote:
Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without
resorting to
hammer and chisel?

Woodchip wallpaper comes off very easily with a sponge and a bucket of
water but the water must be wet enough to soak in for at least an
hour.

... and what if your water isn't wet enough........................?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

then make it wetter... I say, must I tell you how to do everything!
lol bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. uk...

"bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

fred wrote:
Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting
hammer and chisel?

Woodchip wallpaper comes off very easily with a sponge and a bucket of
water but the water must be wet enough to soak in for at least an hour.

.. and what if your water isn't wet enough........................?

Theres a hole in your bucket, dear Ophelia.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com, bob
writes

fred wrote:
Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting to
hammer and chisel?

Woodchip wallpaper comes off very easily with a sponge and a bucket of
water but the water must be wet enough to soak in for at least an hour.

Sorry, you can't use water - it's just been patented

Failing that, just sit there and question yourself as to why you hung
woodchip wallpaper in the first place. bob

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

"bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

fred wrote:
Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting
hammer and chisel?

snip
Failing that, just sit there and question yourself as to why you hung
woodchip wallpaper in the first place. bob

That's all very well, but it doesn't remove the wallpaper.
Also, Bob, remember those balls of lime (aka whitewash)? Often applied to
ceilings?
How do you attach wallpaper (sorry, ceiling paper) to that?
PS, do Screwfix supply your wet water?
PPS, how many beans make 5?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

bob wrote:
then make it wetter... I say, must I tell you how to do everything!

Water isn't actually that wet - which is why we use
detergents..................

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Of course water is wet Dave, it's very wet, when I have a bath I get
out wet. When it rains I get puddles outside - unless of course I get a
special type of rain. bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article .com, bob
wrote:

the water must be wet enough to soak in for at least an hour.

I have heard of dry ice and dry wine, but never dry water?

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

I have heard of dry ice and dry wine, but never dry water?

Powdered water, they invented it for the space program. It never really
caught on as they could never work out what to add when you mix it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

John Rumm wrote:
Powdered water, they invented it for the space program. It never
really caught on as they could never work out what to add when you
mix it ;-)

Dehydrated water is taken as a joke , but wouldn't the salts and
minerals to add to distilled water be dehydrated water? Can envisage
lots of processes where distilled (pure) water is obtained, drinking
this and only this would it eventually make you unhealthy (IANAD)? So
the salts and minerals could be added to it to make it the same as
drinking water. I realise it is a special case and it has a lot more
salts and minerals than normal but is something like Dioralyte not
dehydrated water.

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

On 3 Jan 2006 14:12:01 -0800
"bob" wrote:

I have recently been doing some wallpaper stripping from a wall in my
home and I came across a valuable idea. When I dampened the wallpaper
with a sponge and let the water soak in, the paper seemed to peel of
rather easily.

Isn't easier to remove the plaster from behind the wallpaper, then roll
the wallpaper up for reuse and put fresh plaster on the walls? It
remove the need to use all that polyfiller on the cracks too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

I have heard of dry ice and dry wine, but never dry water?

Powdered water, they invented it for the space program.

No they didn't

I distinctly remember in TV2000 that the daleks invented it to enable
them to take over the universe

I also distinctly remember wondering what daleks actually needed water
for

It never really caught on as they could never work out what to add when
you mix it ;-)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

bob wrote:
Of course water is wet Dave, it's very wet, when I have a bath I get
out wet. When it rains I get puddles outside - unless of course I get
a special type of rain. bob

Surely the wetness of water depends on it's moisture content?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...
bob wrote:
Of course water is wet Dave, it's very wet, when I have a bath I get
out wet. When it rains I get puddles outside - unless of course I get
a special type of rain. bob

Surely the wetness of water depends on it's moisture content?

You could carry it in a smaller container if you dehydrated it first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

You could carry it in a smaller container if you dehydrated it first.

I am working on using dehydrated water for wallpaper removal, it will
make the bucket lighter. bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

You could carry it in a smaller container if you dehydrated it first.

I am working on using dehydrated water for wallpaper removal, it will
make the bucket lighter. bob

It would be lighter still if you didn't use 5 buckets

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com, bob
writes

You could carry it in a smaller container if you dehydrated it first.

I am working on using dehydrated water for wallpaper removal, it will
make the bucket lighter. bob

So, how many buckets do you need ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

1 bucket of dehydrated water should suffice. The bucket needs to have a
hole in the bottom so any build up of condensation can drip away. bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

bob wrote:
1 bucket of dehydrated water should suffice. The bucket needs to have
a hole in the bottom so any build up of condensation can drip away.

Not going to work Bob. Water is H2O. The O bit, being round, will fall
through the hole. This will leave you with a bucket full of H2, which will
float upwards, so you won't be able to reach it.

I do wish you would think about these things in a logical manner.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

david lang wrote:

Not going to work Bob. Water is H2O. The O bit, being round, will fall
through the hole. This will leave you with a bucket full of H2, which will
float upwards, so you won't be able to reach it.

That would be ideal for stripping ceiling paper though!

--
Cheers,

John.

wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer? ari Home Repair 4 April 13th 05 04:27 AM
wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer? ari Home Ownership 0 April 11th 05 05:36 PM
wallpaper removal al UK diy 10 December 31st 04 03:44 PM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
Wallpaper removal question Grendel Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 05:27 PM