ari

Default wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer?

My husband and I recently bought an old house just outside of
Philadelphia, and are currently learning the joys of such things as
wallpaper removal. After two treacherous weekends removing wallpaper
in the hall bathroom, we had a thought, that we thought we'd run by
online forums, before giving a whirl next weekend...

We KNOW that wallpaper removal steamers are completely different from
Scunci Steamers. However, my mother gave us a Scunci Steamer (two
actually, we're still trying to figure out why), for the holidays,
which are still boxed up. Since the bathroom wallpaper is removed, and
the only wallpaper requiring removal left are strips around the ceiling
in two rooms (roughly 9" tall, running the circumference of each of
the rooms, a border...quite hideous), we thought perhaps it would be
easier than the DIF process we just completed in the hall bathroom.

Our walls are plaster. There is paint under the border, which
doesn't appear to have been applied so expertly, by the previous
homeowner.

Any thoughts?

AlanBown

"ari" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

A sponge and bucket of water. Dampen a section of the wall paper and let sit
for awhile. Do not let it dry out. Scrape and pull. Repeat. A 4-6 inch
putty knife works when you need a little extra convincing

I used a wallpaper steamer on the parents home. Some areas had 8 layers of
paper. Steamer worked well for that application. If there is only one layer
I would do as I described.

Have fun. I am ripping out carpet this week on my home.

William W. Plummer

ari wrote:

[...]

I'm using an old windex spray bottle filled with mostly water, a squirt
of dish soap and a few ounces of rubbing alcohol. The soap eliminates
surface tension that prevents the water from getting soaked up by the
wallpaper backing. Alcohol may do the same [somebody told me to include
it and it seems to help].

I use a roller scraper tool that puts little gouges in the surface of
the wallpaper to the spray can soak in over a large area. Patience is
critical because it take awhile to soak in.
Bill Waller

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:09:03 -0400, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

ari wrote:

[...]

I removed some wallpaper last night using straight vinegar in a spray bottle.
Let it soak in. Scrape with a razor edge wallpaper scraper and rinse Thoroughly
with clear water. I used a Scotch Bright pad for that. It helped get off any
residue.

If you use a razor scrapper, be sure to keep a low angle with the wall to avoid
digging in.
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

John

My advice is to forget everything except the wallpaper steamer.
We bought an old house (1795) in NH with lots of wallpaper. After lots of
research, we tried vinigar, glue removal solution, fabric softener,
spraying, sponging, covering the damp wall with plastic, wallpaper tiger.
Everything. Then out of frustration we bought a $50 wagner steamer and it
changed everything. Much faster, less messy, and less destructive to walls
so less patching later on.

The soaking solutions work to some degree, but why spend all that time? I
find it very tedious and unrewarding.

-jeff

"ari" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer? ari Home Ownership 0 April 11th 05 05:36 PM
wallpaper removal al UK diy 10 December 31st 04 03:44 PM
Wallpaper Removal Tool Mark Stiegel Home Repair 8 December 29th 04 06:38 PM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
Wallpaper removal question Grendel Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 05:27 PM