Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Wallpaper removal question

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 10:29 am, "david" wrote:
Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this
weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for
paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper
backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper?
or does it need to be removed as well?
What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

Not sure but it sounds like you tore off most of the drywall paper
when you removed the wallpaper. Brand new, the paper itself is more
white than brown in my mind. What you are seeing is probably the
remnants of the drywall paper still clinging to the wall.

Hard to say without seeing it but I'm guessing that it is best to
remove it if you are planning to paint. Using a sharp scraper to get
under the edge and then try to get it off in big strips. After that
you can use sand paper to remove what's left. I like to use an oil
based primer on drywall with that kind of damage.

I have stripped a wallpaper that was thick and had a brown paper backing.
These were in kitchens and bathrooms where there was a surface coating of a
water resistant type, and the backing is just for protection. I have
stripped about two thousand sf of wallpaper. There are lots of it, some
foil thin, and other as thick as posterboard.

It is difficult to tell without looking at this whether it is backing or
drywall. Spray some plain water on it, and let it sit for about five
minutes. Rub lightly or scrape lightly and see if the backing comes off
down to the paper surface layer of the drywall.

Soaking and slow peeling and scraping are the secret to removing wallpaper.
Use plain water, and allow it to set long enough to soften the layer you
want to remove. Don't overwet, as you want it to soak in rather than run
down. Use any old spray bottle. Use the plastic yellow scrapers that they
sell cheap for drywall mud.

Good luck.

Steve