Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Wallpaper removal question

"JimR" wrote

Actually it's neither difficult or messy to remove wallpaper.

I can tell you haven't done much of this or any at all.

Use a tool
which scores the paper to allow the liquid to get behind the paper and
attack the adhesive, and use a wall paper removal enzyme.

Why pay for an enzyme when water is the best thing to use. It's a glue made
from plant matter. Add water, and it becomes soft. No need to buy
expensive enzymes.

Sherwin Williams
and other places that sell wallpaper should have both -- the scoring tool
is called "Paper Tiger" (one brand name) and you simply roll it around on
the wall paper. Then spray the wall paper with the enzyme ("Dif"
wallpaper remover from Zinnser is one brand), wait for a few minutes, and
the paper should come right off.

I hate that word "should". Truth is, yes, this works. Somewhat. In some
areas, and on some types of wall paper, it takes several rounds of doing
this to get it all. Then you have to remove the glue from the wall, and all
the time, trying not to get it so saturated that you rub off the paper next
to the drywall.

Is this rocket surgery? No.

Is it messy? Yes.

Is it easy? Yes. It is so easy that it will take only about a day to two
days to do a bathroom. I mean, it's not hard like digging fence holes or
pouring concrete.

Steve