Sal Malva

Default Wallpaper removal

What's the best to remove wallpaper? Thanks

Reed

Sal Malva wrote:

What's the best to remove wallpaper? Thanks

2 Zinsser products....

stripper gel
Zinsser DIF
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=18
about $12 a gallon, used half gallon on 8' x 13' wall, single
layer heavy paper over painted dry wall.

Paper Tiger scoring tool
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=20
about $6

score the paper, more the better. Brush the gel on, let soak 15-20
min, paper slides off with a putty knife.

--reed
montana

In article , Reed wrote:

Sal Malva wrote:

What's the best to remove wallpaper? Thanks

2 Zinsser products....

stripper gel
Zinsser DIF
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=18
about $12 a gallon, used half gallon on 8' x 13' wall, single
layer heavy paper over painted dry wall.

Paper Tiger scoring tool
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=20
about $6

score the paper, more the better. Brush the gel on, let soak 15-20
min, paper slides off with a putty knife.

--reed

I'd add that you don't need to lean into the Paper Tiger; it works fine
with very little pressure. Don't ask me how I know...

Don't use a steamer or the paper on the drywall will come up. We also
used vinegar & water in a spray bottle.
SteveB

"Greg-EE" wrote in message

"Tom Cavanagh" wrote in message
New guy on group looking for an effective way to remove wallpaper w/o

using
the rental steam type remover which is rather heavy and cumbersome. TIA

Tom

Use Dif wallpaper remover and a paper tiger to break the surface of the
paper prior to applying the DIF. Works great. Steamer does not work as

well
as the DIF. You can pick it up at Home Depot.

Save your money. Use hot water and vinegar in a common spray bottle. You
can even use an empty Windex bottle.

THE KEY IS PATIENCE.

Once you spray, let the water do its work. Some wallpapers will immediately
take on the hue of wet brown paper sacks. Give it about 3 minutes. Respray
the dry spots you can see. Wait. Start at an edge or corner, and pull
slightly. If it starts peeling off, go slowly. Work on a 3 ft x 3 ft area
at a time so it doesn't dry out on you, or you don't get it soggy.
Different wallpapers will release differently due to the surface. If they
are a plastic/vinyl surface, the hot water won't sink in as fast as plain
paper. Sometimes you have to peel the plastic layer off so that the water
can soften the paper layer. Get a plastic putty knife to help you but don't
make work by scraping hard or you will have retexturing work to do later on.

Remember, the key is go slow. I removed wallpaper from a 1800 sf house that
had wallpaper on everything but the ceiling and floor. I learned a lot, but
the most important tip I can give you is to go slow.

Paper tigers help, but again, be careful not to make marks. They make the
nonporous types come off better by getting the water through the nonporous
layer.

Steve

PS: I have two gallons of DIF in the garage I have to take back. Plain hot
water worked better.

TOM KAN PA

Be careful using water on wall paper that's on dry wall.

TOM KAN PA

Be careful using water on wall paper that's on dry wall.

rosie read and post

i just had this done!
first he removed the vinyl part of the paper (just stripped it right
off) the backing (paper) stuck to the wall, as it had been improperly
prepped.

then he sprayed on DIF wallpaper remover mixed with hot water.
let it sit for 15 minutes and then gently scraped the paper away. (it
really DID peel right off)
BE SURE TO WASH THE WALLS AFTERWARDS!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"deficit spending is an unconscionable form of fiscal child abuse."
...............................stephen moore

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Greg-EE" wrote in message

[...]

montana

In article iIWib.69159$Ms2.7311@fed1read03,
"SteveB" wrote:

Paper tigers help, but again, be careful not to make marks. They make the
nonporous types come off better by getting the water through the nonporous
layer.

I'm piggybacking to echo what this poster has said. I removed a ton of
wallpaper this summer. When DH used the Paper Tiger, he leaned into it
and I had a lot of marks to fix. Used very lightly, there were no marks
and it worked like a charm.

We also used a garden sprayer for the DIF wallpaper remover.

And when you wash your walls when you've finished, use a floor sponge
mop. It's just so much easier & faster than anything else.

Be sure you get *all* the paste off or you'll be very unhappy when
you're painting.