Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To the nice people in this ng

I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those
who thrives on attacking others.

Just want to let you know that I appreciate the help I got from nice
people.

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

You can ask it here. Not a bad looking heater, the same power as most space
heaters, but with a small fan and small size. If price is a concern, you
can find heaters with the same output for half that price. They may or may
not fit your needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Feb 2007 12:11:14 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those
who thrives on attacking others.

Just want to let you know that I appreciate the help I got from nice
people.

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

Ask your question here. I don't believe you'll find a better forum for
that heater than right here. I believe the below link is the manual
for the unit.

http://www.holmesproducts.com/pdfs/HFH2985.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:29 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

You can ask it here. Not a bad looking heater, the same power as most space
heaters, but with a small fan and small size. If price is a concern, you
can find heaters with the same output for half that price. They may or may
not fit your needs.

I got it for $25 at Walmart 3 years ago. Until recently, I didn't use
it much - I used to only to take the chill out of the bed sheet for
like a VERY short period in winter. I just sleep w/o heater, using
many layers of blankets with one being handquilted wool.

But recently, I got creative and got silly I migth add. I placed the
unit under the sheet next to me under to give an enclosed environment
cus my bedroom is really big, actully, because the room connects to
the area where there are closets and basins, preventing em to use any
heater ffectively.

(I have recently sealed that connection by putting a styrofaom at
night so that I can use oil-filled radiant heater and have the room
not cold when I get out of bed in the morning. Also, by keeping the
bedroom to the hallway closed and using oil-filled radiant heater, I
find that the central heater (via the thermostat from downstairs) can
warm the hallway area of upstairs better. This hallway is open to
downstairs since the upstairs of the house not for the whole house. I
don't know the right words to explain. )

Anyway, I was abusive of this small heater, not waiting for 10 mins
before trying to start again when it stops partly because I didn't
remember about the tiny print on the back that says to wait for 10
mins when ti stops. (I just saw it when broguth next to my PC for no
apparent reason.)

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the
wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an
Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am
thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit
has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged
instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
"Amanda" wrote in message

[...]

You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Cheers,
Paul

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 20:58:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter
if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.

I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Cheers,
Paul

Seen last week on a box of frozen chicken substance from Banquet:

- Bake 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

- Remove from oven carefully. Product will be hot.

No ****?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Feb 2007 12:55:33 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:30 pm, wrote:
On 5 Feb 2007 12:11:14 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those
who thrives on attacking others.

Just want to let you know that I appreciate the help I got from nice
people.

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

Ask your question here. I don't believe you'll find a better forum for
that heater than right here. I believe the below link is the manual
for the unit.

http://www.holmesproducts.com/pdfs/HFH2985.pdf

Thanks.

The reset instructions say...

Unplug the unit for ten minutes. The unit should reset itself.

Press the mode/off switch until the unit starts

Make sure the thermostat is not set to low
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:11 pm, "Amanda" wrote:
I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those
who thrives on attacking others.

Just want to let you know that I appreciate the help I got from nice
people.

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on

" Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

use a digital multimeter to test for continuity when heater is
unplugged. put the meter probes to each other to check for beep in the
ohms or continuity mode. holding the probe handles, touch each probe
to a plug prong. you may have to stand the heater rightside up for it
to test ok when the switch is on and the thermostat is set to cal;l
for heat.
some devices like new window fans have a permanent safety fuse built
in to the plug. this fuse is not intended to be replaced.
"If your heater fails to operate:
· Make sure the electrical outlet or circuit breaker is working.
· Check for obstructions. If you find an obstruction turn the heater
OFF, and UNPLUG THE UNIT. Carefully remove the obstruction and
follow the reset instructions.
· The thermostat might be set too low. Press the MODE/OFF button
until the heater restarts.
Please DO NOT attempt to open or repair the heater."

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Seen last week on a box of frozen chicken substance from Banquet:

- Bake 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

- Remove from oven carefully. Product will be hot.

No ****?

Better.

A Far Side cartoon showing Vikings attacking a castle. There's arrows, axes,
and boiling oil, and catapaults, and fire, and stones. Bodies flying through
the air, corpses littering the ground, dead horses. Total mayhem.

On the top run of the foreground scaling ladders, in small type: "Not a
Step."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:54 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

snipped

Anyway, I was abusive of this small heater, not waiting for 10 mins
before trying to start again when it stops partly because I didn't
remember about the tiny print on the back that says to wait for 10
mins when ti stops. (I just saw it when broguth next to my PC for no
apparent reason.)

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the
wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an
Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am
thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit
has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged
instead.

Just a thought, but did you try the unit on another outlet? You may
have just tripped a breaker in your breaker box.
-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 1:15 pm, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

wrote:
You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message

[...]

You need an electric blanket. Or to convert your bed to a canopy
bed and bolt the heater to the headboard.

My suspicion is that there's
a fusible ling somewhere in the thing, and it melted, but it's
also possible that the heating element broke. No way to tell
without opening it up and testing for continuity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 2:15 pm, "Felder" wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:54 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

snipped

Anyway, I was abusive of this small heater, not waiting for 10 mins
before trying to start again when it stops partly because I didn't
remember about the tiny print on the back that says to wait for 10
mins when ti stops. (I just saw it when broguth next to my PC for no
apparent reason.)

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the
wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an
Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am
thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit
has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged
instead.

Just a thought, but did you try the unit on another outlet?

I just did before resplying here and ....

You may have just tripped a breaker in your breaker box.

You are a genius

I am a happy camper now. I meant to keep this unit in the closet to
warm up the closet for a few minutes so that in the morning after
getting up and when going to bed, I won't have to put on cold
clothes.

Good thing I posted here. I almost got rid of it. This prompt me to
wonder whether my paper shredder can be salvaged. It's not a cheap
kind. I did try different outlet on that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:30 pm, wrote:
On 5 Feb 2007 12:11:14 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those
who thrives on attacking others.

Just want to let you know that I appreciate the help I got from nice
people.

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

Ask your question here. I don't believe you'll find a better forum for
that heater than right here. I believe the below link is the manual
for the unit.

http://www.holmesproducts.com/pdfs/HFH2985.pdf

Thanks.

The reset instructions say...

Unplug the unit for ten minutes. The unit should reset itself.

Obviously, that must have what happened the first time around because
after it stopped working the first time, it worked when I tested the
next mornning. Then the after the second time, it didn't.

I never lived in a house before and it was easy to just call the
management though things like that never happened before. I wasn't
like this either though, doing things I wasn't supposed to do.

One thing about this house is that I don't think quality products are
used for breakers. A freind of mine - he's an Electrical Engineer
qand lives in another city as well - made that comment when the some
of the outlets in the kitchen stopped working - I checked the box
outside the house and reset things there to no avail. So I got
someone my boss referred me to looked at it but he couldn't fix it .
He gave me anme to call but the guy never calleed me back. Later, the
ceiling light and the rest of outlet in the kitchen went out too. I
reset the switch in the box outside the hosue but no diferrence. I
was about to get an electrician from Yellow Pages when that friend
visited me. When he reset the switch in the mainswitch box, everything
worked including one outlet that was not working before all this.

Press the mode/off switch until the unit starts

Make sure the thermostat is not set to low

Why does that matter to test whether the unit works or not?

Now that it works, this little thing might be another best investment
I have ever made, like my HP laser printer bought in 1995. I was told
that they don't make printer like that anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message

[...]

I thought about it but I don't have much problem with my bed setup. I
don't like much heat when I sleep.

Or to convert your bed to a canopy bed and bolt the heater to the headboard.

My suspicion is that there's a fusible ling somewhere in the thing, and it
melted, but it's also possible that the heating element broke.

Good to know what can go wrong inside.

No way to tell without opening it up and testing for continuity.

That's what I thought if the issue was was indeed the heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 1:49 pm, "buffalobill" wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:11 pm, "Amanda" wrote: I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those
[...]

Yes, I did fail to check the electrical outlet or circuit breaker.
Please DO NOT attempt to open or repair the heater."

Not even by an electrician?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 20:29:03 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Amanda" wrote in message

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on
Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a
question on the item I have (see pic below).

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...HFH2986U/07Q1/

You can ask it here. Not a bad looking heater, the same power as most space
heaters, but with a small fan and small size. If price is a concern, you
can find heaters with the same output for half that price. They may or may
not fit your needs.

I haven't got the energy to look for other prices, but might the price
be higher because it is sold at officeworld. This is not their area
of concentration, so people buying it here are buying sort of on
impulse, and for that people usually have to pay more. I'm not saying
it is not for their office, but if heaters were the first thing on a
buyer's mind, he would not go to an office site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

You can eliminate that problem with a setback thermostat, for twenty bucks or
so at Lowe's or Home Depot. Pays for itself within a month or so, too.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 5 Feb 2007 12:54:50 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the
wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an
Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am

One would think that any electical engineer would know how to fix such
things better than I do, or at least that all are interested in fixing
electrical things, but I'm pretty that not all do or are. So don't
give him a hard time if he begs off. I'm sure he knows electrical
engineering better than I do/

thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit
has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

OTOH, if he will be interested, you should either have a supply of
tools available somewhere or warn him before he leaves home. I keep
having to buy voltmeters when I visit my brother, because I don't
normally keep one in my suitcase, and more than once I"ve needed one
to fix something he has. At least I could get a different model each
time, and I was saving him money. I really have enough voltmeters
now, so I hope I remember to take one in my suitcase, but the TSA will
probably think it is a bomb.

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged
instead.

I have doubts about sleeping with the heater. Electric heating pads
warn against sleeping with the pad because, they say, you may end up
lying on the pad, and indeed my mother did once and got a burn that
did not heal quickly.

Not the same thing as a heater of course, but I wonder how hot the air
gets and if it could set fire to the sheets and blankets.

A heating blanket is the most efficient way to stay warm when in bed.
Anything made in the last 20 or 25 years has been redesigned in case
there was anything to the fears about low frequency radiation. WRT
high-tension lines, they finally decided it was not a problem, but I
think once they redesigned electric blankets, they stopped doing
research on the old ones. ??
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:15:48 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

My favorite I heard on Leno.

It was a Superman costume, and the label said, "Warning, cape does not
enable wearer to fly."

Some day they're going to find out that 6-year olds ignore words that
give them trouble, or that they think "enable" means "prevent".

wrote:

You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:17:15 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter
if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.

I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Cheers,
Paul

Seen last week on a box of frozen chicken substance from Banquet:

- Bake 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

- Remove from oven carefully. Product will be hot.

I think it will be about 350, and my normal body temp on the outside
is 98 or less.

And then there are the ones that tell you to let things cool for a
minute, or cookies for 45 minutes, when they are their best when warm.

You have to know what to ignore, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep.

My mother didn't plan to fall asleep either. Almost all those people
who start fires smoking don't plan to fall asleep.

I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold.

I have heard one can't get pregnant the first two nights, also.

I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

They make a remote thermostat that you can take anywhere,... but it's
100 dollars or more.

wrote:
You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 5 Feb 2007 14:54:53 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:15 pm, "Felder" wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:54 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

snipped

[...]

On really cold days, my mother would put my coat over the furnace hot
air vent in the hall -- I think the vent was in the hall -- so it
would be warm before I left for school.

She didn't warm my pajamas but I wasn't going out and the house was
still warm. There were no setback thermostats in those days, but she
set the thermostat down at night anyhow, of course. The problem was
that it *was* cold getting up in the morning, but we tolerated it
because we didnt' have much money. We were happy to have enough money
for 68 degrees when we weren't sleeping.

Good thing I posted here. I almost got rid of it. This prompt me to
wonder whether my paper shredder can be salvaged. It's not a cheap
kind. I did try different outlet on that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

People who won't fall asleep smoking in bed burn to death also.

Liek, no what i meen?
--
Steve Barker

oups.com...
wrote:
I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Amanda,

I'm no fan of cold sheets either. If you can find yourself an
electric blanket (either new or used), climbing into bed will be a
whole lot less traumatic and we'll all sleep better; they draw very
little power and within five or ten minutes, you're good to go.

An even better option is an electric mattress pad. They're
considerably more expensive, but ask anyone who has one and they'll
tell you there's nothing like it. Someone in another group recently
bought one at a local thrift store for I believe $5.00 and said it was
in like new condition.

Cheers,
Paul

On 5 Feb 2007 14:47:05 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Optimum night temperature is 64 degrees when you're
all snugged under the covers. A setback thermostat could do
that for you automatically, and it's usually just a matter of
putting the right colored wire to the right spot.

On Feb 5, 7:19 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, "Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

You can eliminate that problem with a setback thermostat, for twenty bucks or
so at Lowe's or Home Depot. Pays for itself within a month or so, too.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

That has to be the best one I've heard so far. I only wish I could
have been at the boardroom table when the company lawyers delivered
their pitch.

I also enjoyed the reference to Gary Larson "not of step" warning.
The man is a comic genuis. One of my favourite Far Side cartoons is
of a really excited dog calling a 1-900 sex line and what he hears on
the other end is "I'm just a poor helpless kitten with a broken leg
trapped on the front veranda with no place to hide..."

Cheers,
Paul

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 19:33:55 -0500, mm
wrote:

My favorite I heard on Leno.

It was a Superman costume, and the label said, "Warning, cape does not
enable wearer to fly."

Some day they're going to find out that 6-year olds ignore words that
give them trouble, or that they think "enable" means "prevent".

Posted to alt.home.repair

We used to have a cold house at night, we had "space blankets"
under the Mattress pad. No doubt about it, it's so much better
than having a cold mattress.

wrote:
You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word
of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if
it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every
word.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 5 Feb 2007 18:54:29 -0800, "Michael B"
wrote:

Optimum night temperature is 64 degrees when you're

Why shouldn't it be colder than that?

all snugged under the covers. A setback thermostat could do
that for you automatically, and it's usually just a matter of
putting the right colored wire to the right spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
wrote:
I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

I have a spece heater on a stand next to the bed. I turn it on, and
lift the covers so it blows under them. Hold that for a couple
minutes and the bed is nice and warm, then turn the fan off.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:54 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

Anyway, I was abusive of this small heater, not waiting for 10 mins
before trying to start again when it stops partly because I didn't
remember about the tiny print on the back that says to wait for 10
mins when ti stops. (I just saw it when broguth next to my PC for no
apparent reason.)

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the
wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an
Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am
thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit
has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged
instead.

I would not use the heater. It sounds like the thermal protection was
working properly. It sounds to me like there are problems other than
the protection, and it is a good thing that the protection was
working.

You can get a new one at Walmart for 20$ I just did, and it came with
a 3 year warranty.

Why risk a fire? Toss it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 4:19 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, "Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

You can eliminate that problem with a setback thermostat, for twenty bucks or
so at Lowe's or Home Depot. Pays for itself within a month or so, too.

Not my house and I am moving out soon.
And you are plonked.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 6:54 pm, "Michael B" wrote:
Optimum night temperature is 64 degrees when you're
all snugged under the covers. A setback thermostat could do
that for you automatically, and it's usually just a matter of
putting the right colored wire to the right spot.

You guys are talking as if you know w/o asking me how the air
distribtuion through the air ducts in this house works. You have NO
clue what I had to do to get air (hot or cold) where I need during the
day w/o having to do a lot more work.

Of course, you can tell me to get a professional look into fixing ...
but like I said, this is not my house and I limit what I would do and
how much I will allow myself to be subjected to be cheated by so
called A/C person or electrician or plumber or lawn care person or
pest control or carpet cleaning people or ...need I say more?.

I deal with it the way I see fit. If I need any suggestion, I will ask
*SPECIFICALLY* like I always do.

In article .com, "Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

You can eliminate that problem with a setback thermostat, for twenty bucks or
so at Lowe's or Home Depot. Pays for itself within a month or so, too.

--
Regards,

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
"Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

You can eliminate that problem with a setback thermostat, for twenty
bucks or
so at Lowe's or Home Depot. Pays for itself within a month or so, too.

Not my house and I am moving out soon.
And you are plonked.

Somebody recommends a thermostat and you get bent out of shape?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good rule of thumb for life: Never forget how little you really know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 6:28 pm, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
Hi Amanda,

I'm no fan of cold sheets either. If you can find yourself an
electric blanket (either new or used), climbing into bed will be a
whole lot less traumatic and we'll all sleep better; they draw very
little power and within five or ten minutes, you're good to go.

Actually, my sleeping arrangement is perfect. I was putting
underneath not to warm the bed. I don't like warm bed, I just take the
chiil out. I sleep better when it is cold because of my rhinistis
condition. But my feet gets cold easily and I usually wear leg warmer
but that night, I was just tesing. So I aimed the heat toward that
direction. Of course, I didn''t really need it badly. What I was
doing really was ... playing.

I know it was dangerous but as much as an obedient child, I was I did
something extrmely dangerous when I was 9. I was bought a set of
pots, made of aluminun and I wanted to cook in the biggest one which
was about the size of two palms. So when all the adults were really
busy (in the kitchen), I went up to what would be like the balcony
here, and made a fire using charcoal, pouring some gas. I cooked some
rice - I watched it attentively - and killed the fire afterward. The
rice was edible. The next time I would cook rice or anything would be
after I turned 21. No one knew about it. This is the first time I tell
anyone about it. Of course, it's not that I like playing with fire.
If I did dangerous thing, I am very careful with it.

An even better option is an electric mattress pad.

I have that. It gets too hot.

They're considerably more expensive, but ask anyone who has one and they'll
tell you there's nothing like it. Someone in another group recently
bought one at a local thrift store for I believe $5.00 and said it was
in like new condition.

Coldness or hotness is not a problem in my bed setup.

Cheers,
Paul

On 5 Feb 2007 14:47:05 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

wrote:
I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you
not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the
top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall
asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except
for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use
central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I
don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

I have a spece heater on a stand next to the bed. I turn it on, and
lift the covers so it blows under them. Hold that for a couple
minutes and the bed is nice and warm, then turn the fan off.

Noooooooooooo..I wasn't using it like that for that prupose.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 4:43 pm, mm wrote:
On 5 Feb 2007 14:54:53 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:15 pm, "Felder" wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:54 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

snipped

[...]

If I leave the central heater on at night ( the lowest setting I could
program is 45 degree) and it would get turned on. If so, it would
get too hot for me and I get woken up in the middle of the night. I
sleep well when cold. It doesn't snow where I live.

Good thing I posted here. I almost got rid of it. This prompt me to
wonder whether my paper shredder can be salvaged. It's not a cheap
kind. I did try different outlet on that one.- Hide quoted text -