Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's up with this group?

Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Patience patience PATIENCE!! LOL,,jus kiddin...
Try this group,,They specialize..
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/forums.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Kyle,

Sorry, I wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with this product
line (nor am I all that knowledgeable about the inner workings of gas
and oil furnaces in general). Hopefully someone who is can offer you
a hand.

For those who may have missed it, it might be helpful to repost your
original message in its entirety.

Good luck!
Paul

On 25 Jan 2007 20:21:41 -0800, wrote:

Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

You don't pay us enough. Why not try asking on alt.hvac ? More pros over
there likely to have the right answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is probably sensing that the gas flow is insufficient to support the
flame, so it shuts down the main valve.
I had one lately do exactly this behavior, and it turned out that there was
large amounts of water condensing inside the gas line and settling in a low
spot. The gas flow was reduced by bubbling through what was effectively a
liquid trap. Drained the water, had to shut the power off and back on so
the computer gadget would reset, and then everything was back to normal.
There could be other reasons, though, for reduced gas flow.

Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

You don't pay us enough. Why not try asking on alt.hvac ? More pros over
there likely to have the right answer.

You are a very wicked man Edwin. Telling the poor girl to go swimming in
shark infested waters. Shoosh!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Patience patience PATIENCE!! LOL,,jus kiddin...
Try this group,,They specialize..
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/forums.htm

Careful though...............they can be a mean bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They must be related to Edwin and Greg over here, then. Whatever, I
appreciate all the suggestions and directions. Nothing like getting
cranky and whiney to garner some attention.
Thanks! Kayle
tom wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Patience patience PATIENCE!! LOL,,jus kiddin...
Try this group,,They specialize..
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/forums.htm

Careful though...............they can be a mean bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 9:04 pm, wrote:
They must be related to Edwin and Greg over here, then. Whatever, I
appreciate all the suggestions and directions. Nothing like getting
cranky and whiney to garner some attention.
Thanks! Kayle

tom wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Patience patience PATIENCE!! LOL,,jus kiddin...
Try this group,,They specialize..
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/forums.htm

Careful though...............they can be a mean bunch.

Kayle-

Check Edwin's posting history before you jump to conclusions........

You've got a fair number of replies (to the 2nd post) but realize the
"silence" can come from all sorts of reasons.

I didn't reply to your first post because I'm not a furnace fixer &
had nothing constructive to offer.

btw 24 hours is not all that long to get an answer

you can have it:

fast, cheap or good......pick two

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy
reading all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or
suggestions for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it
over 24 hours ago. If any one might be interested yet, I'd be
interested in hearing from you. The post is on the 24th with
subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

You don't pay us enough. Why not try asking on alt.hvac ? More pros
over there likely to have the right answer.

Nasty.... :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:56 pm, "tom" wrote:
"Dean" wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Patience patience PATIENCE!! LOL,,jus kiddin...
Try this group,,They specialize..
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/forums.htmCareful though...............they can be a mean bunch.

Also I did'nt think about the possibility that this time of
year,,posting a furnace question,,,Kayle might have ice hanging from
the old boo boo wich could cause a bit of impatience!
Mean bunch? How's that? Do they give people crap for working on their
own furnaces? I posted a ? there months ago and got a possible answer..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 11:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Maybe some folks prefer a vintage _wine_. Note absence of "h". No
reason to get puckered-up about people not living up to your
expectations.

At least you'll get much better than you paid for, and you will make
meaningful contribution(s) going forward, won't you?

Your dumping on Ed is an indicator. Sense of humor is a +.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Jan 26, 6:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy
reading all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or
suggestions for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over
24 hours ago. If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested
in hearing from you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain
Furnace, er I mean Payne. Thanks, I hope! KayleOne problem is you're posting via Google Groups - that's a no-no.

GG can take over three days to propagate posts and responses.

Use a real (i.e., not web-based) news reader. Outlook Express, which you
already have, will work quite well. (Posted via Google Groups) Let's see how long this takes, HeyBub. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, I'm rather amused by how so many undies got bunched up once I
whined. I'm also impressed by the sense of community in the group. A
direct diagnosis would have been wonderful, of course. Short of that,
a link like Dean posted or even a suggestion like Edwin gave would have
helped initially. All in all, for a first timer on this or any group
list, it's been educational, entertaining and fair warning . . . 'I'll
be back'! Thanks all! Kayle
wrote:
On Jan 25, 11:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

Maybe some folks prefer a vintage _wine_. Note absence of "h". No
reason to get puckered-up about people not living up to your
expectations.

At least you'll get much better than you paid for, and you will make
meaningful contribution(s) going forward, won't you?

Your dumping on Ed is an indicator. Sense of humor is a +.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 10:30 am, "kayle" wrote:
Actually, I'm rather amused by how so many undies got bunched up once I
whined. I'm also impressed by the sense of community in the group. A
direct diagnosis would have been wonderful, of course. Short of that,
a link like Dean posted or even a suggestion like Edwin gave would have
helped initially. All in all, for a first timer on this or any group
list, it's been educational, entertaining and fair warning . . . 'I'll
be back'! Thanks all! Kayle

Welcome to usenet. You have absolutely no guarantees of getting an
answer at all, let alone a quality answer. Considering what you pay for
the service, any reasonable sort would find that perfectly
understandable. Coming here with demands for a particular level of
"customer service" will generally be met with hostility due to the
aforementioned cost of this service.

Free speech and free will reigns supreme here; if someone wants to make
baseless accusations about the sexual preferences of your mother's
uncle's brother's best friend's lemur in response to a perfectly
innocent question, they will. If they want to ignore you completely,
they will. If they want to give you bad advice, they will. If they want
to give you a piece of advice that could kill you, they will. There is
nothing you can do about it. That is how usenet works. Complaining only
brings more stones and arrows. If you're lucky, people will just
"plonk" you, or put you on their ignore list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You don't pay us enough. Why not try asking on alt.hvac ? More pros

over
there likely to have the right answer.

You are a very wicked man Edwin. Telling the poor girl to go swimming

in
shark infested waters. Shoosh!

Jeff

LOL, that's the truth. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

kayle wrote in message

Here is the original post:

This ol' furnace has been acting up for a month or so. It's a
Payne,
but I can not find the model number, nor do I know how old it is.
The
red light is doing a 3/4 blink sequence and everything works up to the

burner staying on. The fan ends up blowing coolish air for a minute
or
so, then the whole thing starts over again and eventually after
several
attempts the burner stays on and warm air gets blown. Tonight this
went
on for over an hour without any heat being made, so I shut it all
down.
Any ideas? Should I try restarting it? There is no gas odor, but is
there still a risk? I have plenty of warm woolies to put on, but
their
kinda scratchy and company is due Saturday. Any help would be
greatly
appreciated! Thanks, Kayle

All of this was addressed about two weeks or so ago, sometimes heatedly
(no pun intended.)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure what 'all of this' was addressed 2 weeks ago, but that's ok.
I'm happy to report I now have consistent heat due to a right-on
suggestion from the link Dean offered. (hvac.mechanic.com) I'm
extremely grateful for lists/groups like this one (alt.home.repair) for
exactly the results I got. Even if I couldn't have fixed it, I would
have been more knowledgable when calling upon a technician to service
it. I hope I can return the favor at some point. Meanwhile, my humor
is warming up and I appreciate ALL the replies and thank you for them.
Kayle
Cheri wrote:
kayle wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 1:21 am, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

..
Well now. For FREE advice you expect instant answers from experts!
Also, for example; your original post appeared to me just after 2.00 AM
on the 25th. It is now about 3.00 PM on the 26th.
I was busy yesterday, and due to a bad cold/sore throat I didn't feel
like trolling through the several news groups that I normally follow.
In addition while I might feel competent to try fixing my own gas
furnace, if we had one, (being all-electric here) I would not feel
competent to give advice.
So no apologies from here.
If anyone has these appliances that involve combustion, chimneys,
gaseous or liquid fuels it is best to become knowledgeable about at
least analyzing the likely cause of certain problems. The fact that
your furnace (What was it? Wouldn't relight) might be the safest
situation possible until you call a competent repairer. You do have one
lined up for ongoing maintenance and repairs we presume?

Posted to alt.home.repair

And the hits keep coming. Fine, I can take 'em. I'm warm, informed
and dare I say. . .reformed. Nah. And by the way, Terry, my records
show initial post at 10:09pm on the 24th with first response at 2:45am
on the 26th. Apparently that's reasonable here. Sheesh, I ACCEPT that,
ok. Happy trolls to you!

.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

I don't have a clue what you are talking about, your problem, your unit, or
what to do. Shall I post anyway?

Lots here do in exactly that situation.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:21 pm, wrote:
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

A good many of us are recovering from Google Groups shock, the new
interface makes it so hard to read and post. Perhaps they are all over
at the google groups group complaining.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Either no one can help, no one wants to try or everyone is busy reading
all those paranoia posts. No one has offered any ideas or suggestions
for resolving my Payne furnace problem. I posted it over 24 hours ago.
If any one might be interested yet, I'd be interested in hearing from
you. The post is on the 24th with subject: Pain Furnace, er I mean
Payne. Thanks, I hope! Kayle

I don't have a clue what you are talking about, your problem, your unit, or
what to do. Shall I post anyway?

Lots here do in exactly that situation.

Steve

It's all good. I got a bit of a spanking for being impatient, but I
did get some excellent info!
Thank you, anyway!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
A good many of us are recovering from Google Groups shock, the new
interface makes it so hard to read and post. Perhaps they are all over
at the google groups group complaining.

Eric,

I'm curious of why you post through Google, is it because your ISP doesn't
carry NG's?

Maybe I'm simple minded, but using a newsreader is so much easier to follow
threads, or for posting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe" wrote in message

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
A good many of us are recovering from Google Groups shock, the new
interface makes it so hard to read and post. Perhaps they are all over
at the google groups group complaining.

Eric,

I'm curious of why you post through Google, is it because your ISP doesn't
carry NG's?

Maybe I'm simple minded, but using a newsreader is so much easier to
follow threads, or for posting.

Many, perhaps most, ISPs no longer have newsfeeds, or if they do, they do
not particularly advertise that fact to their new clients. Web sites and
blogs and such have made Usenet a dying world (other than the porn groups,
of course.) I'd bet most Google Groups users think Google owns and runs the
newsgroups, sorta like a gigantic BBS.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Moe" wrote in message

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
A good many of us are recovering from Google Groups shock, the new
interface makes it so hard to read and post. Perhaps they are all over
at the google groups group complaining.

Eric,

I'm curious of why you post through Google, is it because your ISP doesn't
carry NG's?

Maybe I'm simple minded, but using a newsreader is so much easier to
follow threads, or for posting.

Many, perhaps most, ISPs no longer have newsfeeds, or if they do, they do
not particularly advertise that fact to their new clients. Web sites and
blogs and such have made Usenet a dying world (other than the porn groups,
of course.) I'd bet most Google Groups users think Google owns and runs the
newsgroups, sorta like a gigantic BBS.

aem sends...

My ISP is Qwest. Before when it was USWest I had Outlook Express, I
think. As my ISP's kept changing fairly often, and I was using so
many other computers away from home, I found a Yahoo account to be
easiest. When I was searching for furnace info I Googled it and this
list came up. And, you're right, I did think Google ran it, or I
should say, I hadn't even thought about it until your comment. Since
this is my first experience with a group list, I have no grounds for
comparison like Eric apparently does. Sad to say but I'm not even sure
how to access this group except through Google.
Kayle

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

"kayle" wrote in message
My ISP is Qwest. Before when it was USWest I had Outlook Express, I
think. As my ISP's kept changing fairly often, and I was using so
many other computers away from home, I found a Yahoo account to be
easiest. When I was searching for furnace info I Googled it and this
list came up. And, you're right, I did think Google ran it, or I
should say, I hadn't even thought about it until your comment. Since
this is my first experience with a group list, I have no grounds for
comparison like Eric apparently does. Sad to say but I'm not even sure
how to access this group except through Google.

Kayle,

You may want to look into this, it tell you how to configure OE or Netscape
for newsgroups.
http://www.qwest.net/help/newsgroups.html

I like using OE for a newsreader, I have Thunderbird also, but am used to
OE and really like it, except for a couple flaws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try "the wall" for pros or try althvac for a hacks and a headache

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm curious of why you post through Google, is it because your ISP doesn't
carry NG's?

Maybe I'm simple minded, but using a newsreader is so much easier to follow
threads, or for posting.

Laziness I guess, I have Verizon, and they have a news server, but it
is hell to get it to hook up the first time. once initiated, it works.
The previous interface was great, instant access, since Google
personalized is my home page, just click more and groups and it when
right back to where I was, great stuff. They have since gone to a
bubble gum interface, much more ad friendly than read / post friendly.
I use T-bird for Email, I may try that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:39 am, "Eric in North TX" wrote:
I'm curious of why you post through Google, is it because your ISP doesn't
carry NG's?

Maybe I'm simple minded, but using a newsreader is so much easier to follow
threads, or for posting.Laziness I guess, I have Verizon, and they have a news server, but it

is hell to get it to hook up the first time. once initiated, it works.
The previous interface was great, instant access, since Google
personalized is my home page, just click more and groups and it when
right back to where I was, great stuff. They have since gone to a
bubble gum interface, much more ad friendly than read / post friendly.
I use T-bird for Email, I may try that.

In my case, I use Google Groups by choice. I have OE and another
excellent reader. I prefer Google as it is _simple_. I don't need,
and wouldn't use, all the bells and whistles that ocme with a real
reader.

I, too, hated the new google when it showed up the other day. I am
getting used to it and exept for the clunky posting (that will
probably be fixed) and that 1/3 of a page to the right that contains
nothing that needs to be there 100% of the time it isn't any worse
than the old one. Restricting the text portion to only 1/3 of the
page was stupid. Of course one can keep closing and opening message
tree but that is a nuisance.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can pretty well ignore the bubble gum, adblock takes care of the
ads, but have you opened a post with fewer than 3 replies? They end up
in a tiny scroll box at the top of that 1/3 page leaving the rest of
the real estate blank as you scroll through the message trying to make
sense of it. Laziness may keep me in GG as most newsreaders while more
versatile, require much more interaction. I am open to suggestion
however.

Posted to alt.home.repair

but have you opened a post with fewer than 3 replies? They end up
in a tiny scroll box at the top of that 1/3 page leaving the rest of
the real estate blank as you scroll through the message trying to make
sense of it.

Replying to my own post? I just tried that and apparently that has
been addressed.
Now if they will just add the older / newer buttons to the bottom of a

New to group Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 August 7th 06 06:18 AM
New to group Lew Hodgett Woodworking 1 August 7th 06 06:12 AM
New to group charlie b Woodworking 0 August 7th 06 06:08 AM
New Group alireza Woodworking 1 November 19th 05 03:00 AM
looking for group Joshuall Electronics 0 December 14th 04 09:29 PM