Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default emergency heating of home with hot water tank

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

If your furnace is 40 years old and in a basement, it may run without
electric. Open the filter door and see if there are emergency instructions.
I assumed it's forced hot air?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your furnace is 40 years old and in a basement, it may run without
electric. Open the filter door and see if there are emergency instructions.
I assumed it's forced hot air?

Al

yeahforced air but no way to do this safely with this model, valves
cant be opened manually and a good friend says it would crack the heat
exchanger. besides were talking of getting a new furnace since we
recently paid off the home.

i am mst curious about the garden hose heater or me its a brand new idea

Posted to alt.home.repair

How much heat is a garden hose going to give off?

thats what I wonder/

with not much pressure they will tolerate hot water, have used them to
melt ice and snow once.

he bigger the difference between room and water the more heat they
would likely liberate.

its a novel idea

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Someone did this in NY during a power failure. It was reported on the
radio. There are some companies who make tubes, to install hot water
into the floor. Wirsbo comes to mind. You'll have to experement to see
what works for you.

My guess is that this will not keep your home comfortably warm -- just
barely warm maybe.

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

wrote in message
ups.com...
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?

A neighbor tried it and found it to be a waste of water.
A kerosene heater is a good idea. They also provide heat if your furnace
breaks! My wife doesn't care for the smell, but I don't notice it.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 16 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?

Gonna be a really big hot water bill...

Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That
can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.

Never try to warm the entire house..aint gonna be any easy way to do it
without some seriously bit BTUs

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

in buffalo ny: we had 9 days no power in october 2006 wet 24"
snowstorm. i never played with garden hose heating; i think your
bathtubs and washtubs and gas stove will prove more powerful. we have
our 50 gallon natural gas water heater at 175 degrees F. [but don't
burn your little kids]. arrange your hot showers with the bathroom door
open to warm and humidify the house. when you run out of squeaky clean
occupants use the shower to fill the tub with HOT water, turning it
into a big radiator. oven won't operate? start boiling spaghetti pots
full of water for heat and humidity [and food]. [gee, that microwave
popcorn will suddenly become less poppable.] electric coffee maker will
also be at rest, like the can opener.
use the natural gas stove [but not when sleeping or away from home] as
if it is roasting a turkey, with a nearby window opened for oxygen
replacement.
is your gas stove is too new-fangled? right now check it out:
electrically unplug it: then light the oven pilot manually [may take 45
seconds] to stay lit and relight the main burner to cycle the turkey's
400 degree oven. or install a millivolt gas direct vented wall heater
to be a safe secondary source of 24-hour heat. [never an unvented one
because in practical occasional use nobody wants to open a window in
winter for proper combustion as they require.]
find the snowsuits. find extra blankets. you will run out of working
flashlights within the first day like we did, and be surprised to find
out that C and D batteries have vanished from store shelves along with
most flashlights in town. put the food ouside the house if it's below
40F there. use ziploc bags of packed fresh snow for your indoor coolers
and refrigerators. now: buy more blankets.

wrote:
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 16 Dec 2006 21:53:27 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

[...]

Spring and summer are the good times to score snowmobile and decent
insulated ski suits from the Goodwill etc, along with mummy bags and
x-country skis. If ya get snowed in..you can be quite mobile with a pair
of used Cross Country skis and "shoes", picked up at the second hand
store for $5 (dont forget the ski poles of a proper length). Even if
you havent used x-country skis before..they are simple enough when on
the flat.

Coleman stoves and lanterns are also found regularly at secondhand
stores and swap meets/yard sales. Test em and be sure to replace the
generators on them if they show any sign of acting up, and keep a couple
dozen mantles on hand with some stick matches. WHile Coleman type fuel
is prefered..any gasoline lantern will actually work ok with automotive
fuel Just dont store them with automotive gas in them, else it turns to
goo and plugs up everything over time..and not a long time either.

A Coleman lantern will do a fair job of heating a single average sized
room for at least 6 hours on a few ounces of fuel. Same with the
Coleman 2 and 3 burner liguid fuel stoves, which hold about 8 ounces of
liquid fuel at a time, and allow you to cook as well as warm up a room.

They do generate some CO..so keep some ventelation going.

Gunner

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 16 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and

Why would the water be cool? Unless the WH is broken it will be hot.

But a hose won't radiate much heat. Better to stop the tub and run
the shower until the tub is 3/4 full. The steam will humidify the air
in the house and give a much greater feeling of comfort than the heat
from the same amount of water.

You should be there while the shower runs, because the overflow is
totally insufficient to actually drain overfllowing water. It will
run over your tub and through the floor to the stuff below. Many
overflows seem to do almost nothing at all.

I say 3/4 to allow room for you to make a mistake of a minute or two.

After youturn off the water, let the hot water sit in the tub until it
is cold. That will release heat and humidity also.

You can also boil water on your stove, gas or electric. It takes an
hour a gallon or something like that to evaporate water, once it is
boiling. I forget, but you can figure it out. If you let the pot
boil dry, you may well damage the pot, but you probably won't start a
fire unless there is some othe factor I can't foresee.

running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work?

It won't work well at all. But I have on numerous occaions heated my
apartment in Brooklyn, NY, and later my two story 1400 sq. ft. home in
Maryland that way. It can make a 50 degree house feel like at least
60 degrees. And that is only one bathtub of water per night. And
almost never the stove and bathtub on the same night. I didn't do more
because I figure there is a limit to what humidity can do, but I'm not
sure the limit isn't higher than what I did.

Also wear a lot of clothes, a t-shirt, shirt, sweater, and jacket if
necessary. Sleep with your clothes on including socks, and get an
electric blanket. Every blanket I've had was warm on a setting of 1
out of 10 and hot at 2 out of ten. I don't know what 7 or 8 would be
like. If you can't tell if the blanket is heating, fold it a few
times and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then you wiilll be able to feel
the heat. Don't leave it folded liek that.

An electric or kerosen space heaters if necessary, but I've been too
cheap to use those. I figure when I'm cold, I'm losing weight.

my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

Of course.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

An emergency generator won't help if the furnace is broken. I've only
once lost heat because I lost electricity. But I've lost heat because
the furnace, either the landlord's or mine, was broken on several
occaiosns.

any thoughts on this idea?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:55:58 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That
can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.

To give my house a bigger look, they put no doors on any first floor
room or on any part of the stairs, so the basment club room, the
living room, dining room, kitchen, hall, and upstairs hall are all
connected. I could retreat to one room, but it hasn't been necessary
yet. It would also cut me off from the bathtub steam.

There was one time when we had no electricity for I think 3 or 4 days,
and I was starting to call peopel for a place to stay. Unfortunately
most of my friends didn't have electricity either. Just when I was
really feeling cold, the power came back on.

You have to have a source of fresh air if you are burning kerosene or
propane, and I'mnot sure how big a source. Once for a friend,
Icouldn't decide and I was afraid she'd lose more heat out the window
than the propane heater would make. Any advice on that?

Never try to warm the entire house..aint gonna be any easy way to do it
without some seriously bit BTUs

Gunner

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 16 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?

This is stupid. You wont get enough heat out of a hose.

Here's a better plan. Drive your car thru the front of your house, so
only the front of the car is inside the house. Liberally apply duct
tape between the vehicles body and the remains of your house walls to
seal any gaps. Leave the car run. The cars radiator and cooling fan
will divert the engines heat into your home keeping you comfortably
warm.

Note: (Even if you are a republican, you must apply the duct tape
LIBERALLY).

Professor Master Mind
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:24:45 -0500, mm wrote:

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and

Why would the water be cool? Unless the WH is broken it will be hot.

Unless you are using a "flash heater", once the hot water is used
up..the "make up time"..the time the hot water heater needs to reheat
the 25-60 gallons in it..is rather long.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That
can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.

To give my house a bigger look, they put no doors on any first floor
room or on any part of the stairs, so the basment club room, the
living room, dining room, kitchen, hall, and upstairs hall are all
connected. I could retreat to one room, but it hasn't been necessary
yet. It would also cut me off from the bathtub steam.

Humidity is highly overrated. A bedroom is a good place to lager up,
particularly one with a bathroom G Heat rises..second story is good,
though a case can be made for basement, with its natural surrounding
heat sump.

There was one time when we had no electricity for I think 3 or 4 days,
and I was starting to call peopel for a place to stay. Unfortunately
most of my friends didn't have electricity either. Just when I was
really feeling cold, the power came back on.

You have to have a source of fresh air if you are burning kerosene or
propane, and I'mnot sure how big a source. Once for a friend,
Icouldn't decide and I was afraid she'd lose more heat out the window
than the propane heater would make. Any advice on that?

Sure. Open a window about 1/2" or so...this of course only if your
window opens vertically. The sliders need less of a gap than that. If
you notice a headache coming on..open it a bit more.

On the other hand...a very GOOD investment is one of those First Alert
CO detectors that can run off batteries when the power is off. I have
one in each area of my house. It comes in handy no matter what, in the
winter time. One can have a leak in the firebox or heat exchanger during
normal times and get monoxided without knowing about it. Smoke detectors
and CO detectors are part of the Normal preparations a survivalist
needs.

I should mention..I grew up in the Copper Country of northern
Michigan..up in the way upper part of the upper peninsula..that little
finger of land sticking up with Lake Superior on both sides of it.
Average snow fall being 144"...12 feet and the average mid winter temps
around -20F on a warm day.

Been there, done that.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 05:57:42 -0600, wrote:

On 16 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Actually..a very bad idea. Cooling fans on cars are designed to pull air
IN from the front of the car..and exhaust it out the back via the
underside. So you would be sucking all the warm air from inside the
house and using it to cool the engine, then exhausting it outside.

You would be better served to Back it onto the wall, to the front
support posts, then taping all your vacuum cleaner hoses together and
stucking them on the exhaust pipe and routing the end of the hose
outside.

But remember when wrapping the hoses and the car with duct tape..only
wrap to the Right.

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

Default generators sold cheaply

My prediction is that in about half a year, we'll see used generators
going cheaply. Buy up, and be ready for the next storm.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Gunner" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

Since the water flow is very slow, the WH has plenty of time to
recover.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:24:45 -0500, mm
Why would the water be cool? Unless the WH is broken it will be hot.

Unless you are using a "flash heater", once the hot water is used
up..the "make up time"..the time the hot water heater needs to reheat
the 25-60 gallons in it..is rather long.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

The theory being that by the time the water gets to the end of the
hose, it's lost its heat. I don't know how effective this is, but I
did hear it mentioned on the AM radio one time when there was a power
cut near me.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
On 16 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their

hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and

Why would the water be cool? Unless the WH is broken it will be hot.

But a hose won't radiate much heat. Better to stop the tub and run
the shower until the tub is 3/4 full. The steam will humidify the air
in the house and give a much greater feeling of comfort than the heat
from the same amount of water.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That
can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.

Yup. I nailed blankets over a wide doorway in the early 1980's to cut down
my heat bill in eastern SoDak. It helped a lot.

-- Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My prediction is that in about half a year, we'll see used generators
going cheaply. Buy up, and be ready for the next storm.

From where?
If you needed it once, you'll probably need it again. I still have mine,
and check that it still works, since hurricane Floyd of 1997.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 16 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and

Why would the water be cool? Unless the WH is broken it will be hot.

But a hose won't radiate much heat. Better to stop the tub and run
the shower until the tub is 3/4 full. The steam will humidify the air
in the house and give a much greater feeling of comfort than the heat
from the same amount of water.

Of course, if you're indoors, have food, and wearing appropiate
clothes, it would have to be well below zero before you're actually
in any danger, or even particular discomfort. Put on a hat that
covers your ears, a scarf, light gloves, and better socks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:27:27 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The theory being that by the time the water gets to the end of the
hose, it's lost its heat. I don't know how effective this is, but I
did hear it mentioned on the AM radio one time when there was a power
cut near me.

The spray from a shower gives up heat a great deal faster than
a hose will. More surface area, for one thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

From the sheeple who try to return bottled water, plywood, fire
extinguishers, that kind of thing. Soon as the panic goes down a
little, they will be for sale, used.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Willshak" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
My prediction is that in about half a year, we'll see used

generators
going cheaply. Buy up, and be ready for the next storm.

From where?
If you needed it once, you'll probably need it again. I still have
mine,
and check that it still works, since hurricane Floyd of 1997.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, delete the double zeroes after @

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That
can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.

Yup. I nailed blankets over a wide doorway in the early 1980's to cut
down
my heat bill in eastern SoDak. It helped a lot.

Maybe more efficient to use "space blankets"?

Not if I had to buy 'em. In those days the wolf at the door frequently
barged in and ate our dinner. (He hated rice & lentils but he gobbeled them
anyway.) I'm now in the upper __% of income winners world-wide and
history-wide, but the hurt of those early, painful, poor days is aways
present. I *really* appreciate being able to go to the McDonalds drive
through whenever I want, and I recall about 15+ years ago when it first
became possible.

In the days I nailed blankets over the doorway, as the saying goes, "I was
too poor to pay attention."

-- Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My prediction is that in about half a year, we'll see used generators
going cheaply. Buy up, and be ready for the next storm.

--

When we had the grid fail in Ohio, gennys were at a premium and I assumed a
few good deals would percolate after the panic...it never happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

On the other hand, maybe not.

Since you were there for the grid failure, presumably, what was your
experience? Did you take your Ohio Brush Bag to town, and get some
action?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

When we had the grid fail in Ohio, gennys were at a premium and I
assumed a
few good deals would percolate after the panic...it never happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

Stormin Mormon wrote:

From the sheeple who try to return bottled water, plywood, fire
extinguishers, that kind of thing. Soon as the panic goes down a
little, they will be for sale, used.

snip

Used bottled water.

Interesting concept! g

Notan

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On the other hand, maybe not.

Since you were there for the grid failure, presumably, what was your
experience? Did you take your Ohio Brush Bag to town, and get some
action?

It was very hot and I'm an air conditioning kinda' guy. I closed the plant
and I headed for the family's cottage on Lake Erie eighty miles away. I ran
the AC and went swimming and watched DVDs. It was tough, I ran out of
coffee filters and had to drive up to the Wal-Mart 3 miles away. Those will
be in my scram-bag from now on! The other big problem was that it was
tourist season and all the bar and restaurant prices were up. I could see
on the news when the power was back on in Cleveland and headed back.

So, my survival strategy is to get out of town and head toward a secure
place that I know if fully stocked. I have access to places in three states
and four places in Ohio. I keep 20 gallons of gas at home which gives me an
additional 200 miles to find more. In addition to whatever in my 36 gal
tank. Off hand, I have most people beat in preparedness. I also have all
my fly-in fishing gear in 3 big waterproof tubs. Everything I need is in
there as everything is cleaned and repacked after every trip. But no
firearms are packed for Canadian trips. I can grab those with plenty of
ammo in a heartbeat, along with two 5 gallon water carriers. What are my
weak points?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:38:42 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Road closures. What are your plans for "bugging in"?

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The theory being that by the time the water gets to the end of the
hose, it's lost its heat. I don't know how effective this is, but I
did hear it mentioned on the AM radio one time when there was a power
cut near me.

Running the shower will cause it to snow in your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

When we had the grid fail in Ohio, gennys were at a premium and I
assumed a
few good deals would percolate after the panic...it never happened.

..
I once thought that too.

I have yet to find a "deal" on a good generator.

Take a look at Ebay and watch what the used generators go for...best to
buy it new and know what you have.

TMT

.

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.survivalism

Road closures. What are your plans for "bugging in"?

Gunner

..22 at work with a brick?