Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default emergency heating of home with hot water tank

in buffalo ny: we had 9 days no power in october 2006 wet 24"
snowstorm. i never played with garden hose heating; i think your
bathtubs and washtubs and gas stove will prove more powerful. we have
our 50 gallon natural gas water heater at 175 degrees F. [but don't
burn your little kids]. arrange your hot showers with the bathroom door
open to warm and humidify the house. when you run out of squeaky clean
occupants use the shower to fill the tub with HOT water, turning it
into a big radiator. oven won't operate? start boiling spaghetti pots
full of water for heat and humidity [and food]. [gee, that microwave
popcorn will suddenly become less poppable.] electric coffee maker will
also be at rest, like the can opener.
use the natural gas stove [but not when sleeping or away from home] as
if it is roasting a turkey, with a nearby window opened for oxygen
replacement.
is your gas stove is too new-fangled? right now check it out:
electrically unplug it: then light the oven pilot manually [may take 45
seconds] to stay lit and relight the main burner to cycle the turkey's
400 degree oven. or install a millivolt gas direct vented wall heater
to be a safe secondary source of 24-hour heat. [never an unvented one
because in practical occasional use nobody wants to open a window in
winter for proper combustion as they require.]
find the snowsuits. find extra blankets. you will run out of working
flashlights within the first day like we did, and be surprised to find
out that C and D batteries have vanished from store shelves along with
most flashlights in town. put the food ouside the house if it's below
40F there. use ziploc bags of packed fresh snow for your indoor coolers
and refrigerators. now: buy more blankets.

wrote:
Saw a post recently where somene tried heating their home during a
power outage by snaking a garden hose thru home connected to their hot
water tank, dumping the presumedly cool water in their bathtub and
running it slowly. kinda ingenious emergency raiant floor heating.

I wonder how well this would work? my furnace is a 40 year old lennox
130,000 BTU my curren hot water tank is 75,000 BTU.

live in pittsburgh, where it might be below 20 or even zero on
occasion

would it be better to spread the hose thruout the home or concentrate
in basement since heat rises? mine is 2 storys with basement.

probably best to close off most rooms and just keep some warm.

I have a emergency generator but believe in always be prepared

any thoughts on this idea?