Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
Gunner Gunner is offline

Default emergency heating of home with hot water tank

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:28:57 -0500, mm wrote:

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:55:58 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Seriously though..best to close off the house and heat one room. That
can be done easily enough in a myriad of ways.

To give my house a bigger look, they put no doors on any first floor
room or on any part of the stairs, so the basment club room, the
living room, dining room, kitchen, hall, and upstairs hall are all
connected. I could retreat to one room, but it hasn't been necessary
yet. It would also cut me off from the bathtub steam.

Humidity is highly overrated. A bedroom is a good place to lager up,
particularly one with a bathroom G Heat rises..second story is good,
though a case can be made for basement, with its natural surrounding
heat sump.

There was one time when we had no electricity for I think 3 or 4 days,
and I was starting to call peopel for a place to stay. Unfortunately
most of my friends didn't have electricity either. Just when I was
really feeling cold, the power came back on.

You have to have a source of fresh air if you are burning kerosene or
propane, and I'mnot sure how big a source. Once for a friend,
Icouldn't decide and I was afraid she'd lose more heat out the window
than the propane heater would make. Any advice on that?

Sure. Open a window about 1/2" or so...this of course only if your
window opens vertically. The sliders need less of a gap than that. If
you notice a headache coming on..open it a bit more.

On the other hand...a very GOOD investment is one of those First Alert
CO detectors that can run off batteries when the power is off. I have
one in each area of my house. It comes in handy no matter what, in the
winter time. One can have a leak in the firebox or heat exchanger during
normal times and get monoxided without knowing about it. Smoke detectors
and CO detectors are part of the Normal preparations a survivalist
needs.

I should mention..I grew up in the Copper Country of northern
Michigan..up in the way upper part of the upper peninsula..that little
finger of land sticking up with Lake Superior on both sides of it.
Average snow fall being 144"...12 feet and the average mid winter temps
around -20F on a warm day.

Been there, done that.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.