Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace a closer for a storm door

I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Yeah, but i've been doing some web searching and the prices vary..some
as high as 300 to 10. How do i know which to go by? IS the cheaper one
good enough for the door to close normally? Does the closer go by the
weight of the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
Yeah, but i've been doing some web searching and the prices vary..some
as high as 300 to 10. How do i know which to go by? IS the cheaper one
good enough for the door to close normally? Does the closer go by the
weight of the door?

The $300 ones are for heavy commercial grade doors. Most at the local home
center or hardware store are fine for a typical residential door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Having replaced a few closers in my day, I'm going to wager that it is
going to take more than just a screwdriver to replace. I'll be very
surprised if the holes on either the jamb bracket or door bracket match
the holes on the existing unit. At a minimum, you're going to need a
drill. If you are lucky, the location of the holes will be different
enough that you won't end up overlapping half a hole. I hate when that
happens!

I would take the old one with me just to be safe..maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that lines up perfectly. Depending on the type of
door you have, you might be able to relocate the closer to the top or
the middle of the door if the old holes become an issue.

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Yeah, but i've been doing some web searching and the prices vary..some
as high as 300 to 10. How do i know which to go by? IS the cheaper one
good enough for the door to close normally? Does the closer go by the
weight of the door?

The $10 ones are what you need. You might take along your old one and
try to get one about the same size. Some are just a bit stronger than
others. I usually have two or three of them laying around from previous
doors. WalMart probably has them too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

I'd suggest you get a hydraulic closer instead of a pneumatic one. Any
good hardware store will carry both. The hydraulic is slimmer in
profile, which means you can open the door a couple more degrees and
it's less obtrusive, plus they close much better. They don't have any
of that annoying pneumatic bounce. Price is about the same - needn't
spend more than $20 max.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Lawrence wrote:

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Having replaced a few closers in my day, I'm going to wager that it is
going to take more than just a screwdriver to replace. I'll be very
surprised if the holes on either the jamb bracket or door bracket match
the holes on the existing unit. At a minimum, you're going to need a
drill. If you are lucky, the location of the holes will be different
enough that you won't end up overlapping half a hole. I hate when that
happens!

I would take the old one with me just to be safe..maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that lines up perfectly. Depending on the type of
door you have, you might be able to relocate the closer to the top or
the middle of the door if the old holes become an issue.

It may be possible to reuse both brackets without removing. Many times
the closer is wasted but the brackets are still in place. You are right
to say a drill may be needed, especially if the old brackets aren't
usable.

The door jamb sometimes needs a bit of repair if the new bracket is to
be installed in the old location. Toothpicks and glue shoved into the
old holes will make it possible to drill new holes. Easier to use the
old brackets if you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Dec 2006 20:01:14 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Having replaced a few closers in my day, I'm going to wager that it is
going to take more than just a screwdriver to replace. I'll be very
surprised if the holes on either the jamb bracket or door bracket match
the holes on the existing unit.

She might go from one store to another until she finds ones that have
the same holes. That way no extra holes. I went to five places to
find a water heater that had its pipes where my original AOSmith pipes
were. And that was just because I didn't want bends it my pipe. Bad
fung shway (just kidding. It's because I'm picky.) And I found one
at Sears.

At a minimum, you're going to need a
drill. If you are lucky, the location of the holes will be different
enough that you won't end up overlapping half a hole. I hate when that
happens!

I would take the old one with me just to be safe..maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that lines up perfectly. Depending on the type of
door you have, you might be able to relocate the closer to the top or
the middle of the door if the old holes become an issue.

But good advice. Not everyone will traipse from store to store to get
the same holes, like I would.

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Dec 2006 22:09:05 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

I'd suggest you get a hydraulic closer instead of a pneumatic one. Any
good hardware store will carry both. The hydraulic is slimmer in
profile, which means you can open the door a couple more degrees and
it's less obtrusive, plus they close much better. They don't have any
of that annoying pneumatic bounce. Price is about the same - needn't
spend more than $20 max.

There are both? I would have thought, if anything, when she said
pneumatic, she meant hydraulic. The ones with the adjusting screw at
one end. Now I'm going to have to go to the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Dec 2006 15:53:13 -0800, "Anthona" wrote:

I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews.

It confused me too, but Loews is the movie chain, or as they pronounce
it in Brooklyn, Lowy's, although they spell it the same.

Lowes is the hardware store.

Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

Someone was putting a storm door on today. Not much difference in 50
years, but definitely take your old one with you. (Any difference is
likely from one brand to another, and not because of age.) Look at
the door before you leave, also, and remember how the thing went on.
Make a sketch if necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

I'm curious, MM, what gave u the impression that I am a "she"? The last
time I looked between my legs, show the male genital..to put it
lightly. How does that saying go? He who assumes, continues to
blunder." You are a he aren't you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

I'm curious, MM, what gave u the impression that I am a "she"? The last

Your name ends in "a".

time I looked between my legs, show the male genital..to put it

It's not just you but you are here to ask a question to. Do you think
this is less vulgar because you don't use a word that's known as
vulgar? Your first question was fully adequate. There is no point to
bringing up physiology.

You remind of the sitcoms and comedy talk shows which, in the past 4
years, have decided to discuss topics that used to be and actually
still are too private for television, and think if they use "genitals"
or "penis" that makes everything ok, even if it's part of a vulgar
joke, or an unnecessary reference to physiology that is properly not
discussed in public unless there is real reason.

lightly. How does that saying go? He who assumes, continues to
blunder."

It's not much of a blunder if I guess wrong at your sex. It doesn't
hurt me at all, or you. And other than two uses of "she" instead of
the gender-indeterminate "he", did I write any differently than I
would have had I thought you were a man? So what difference does it
make?

Oh, yeah, I might have written differently. You know, now that I
think about it more, I probably did and there was a second reason I
thought you were a woman that confirmed my impression of your name.
Namely, I thought your post was pretty elementary. OF COURSE, you
should bring the old one with you. It's like you don't buy much
hardware, as women stereotypically and likely do. (of course, even if
it isn't hardware, even if it is something women are thought to buy,
like kitchen appliances, one should bring the old one with him/her.
And you're the one who said they probably don't look alike. I think
they do, but if you rely on someone who replies to your post and don't
bring the old one, and I'm wrong, you're the one who loses out.

You are a he aren't you?

Why do you say that? You're only a half step, istm, from assuming,
like I did.

BTW, you might have thanked me for the 1 1/2 posts I wrote trying to
help you find what you wanted at the store. Instead of carping about
a triviality.

Storm Door Closer Herb S Home Repair 3 October 2nd 06 05:11 AM
help: repair or replace a hydraulic storm door opener? cowpoke Home Repair 7 May 17th 06 09:04 PM
Replace Door, Storm Door, or just add weather stripping? Aaron Home Repair 0 February 20th 06 04:15 AM
Door closer noise JoeJoe UK diy 15 June 18th 05 04:36 PM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM