Posted to alt.home.repair
cowpoke

Default help: repair or replace a hydraulic storm door opener?

I have a storm door with a hydraulic opener.

The opener hydraulics work fine (the door closes fully on its own), but
the little latch that you move to keep the door in the open position
just slides back with the hydraulics and doesn't keep the door open.

Is there anything to do to fix this? Or do I have to replace the part?

The part I'm talking about looks like this:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?productId=33395&catalogId= 10051&recN=0&R=8067&langId=-15&partNumber=925122&storeId=10051

thanks

in advance for your advice,
cowpoke

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

I think that if you were to bend it more, (it should have a slight bend to
it), it should hold tighter. I have not done this but in theory it will
work, as when the body of the pnuematic closer slides along the rod the stop
is pushed and since it is canted the top should "dig" in to the rod
slightly. Seems that yours is not doing this. So a bend is in order.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Make sure when you position the slider to hold the door open the tab
that is bent over is up. Don't know why this matters, but it does.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

cowpoke wrote:
I have a storm door with a hydraulic opener.

The opener hydraulics work fine (the door closes fully on its own), but
the little latch that you move to keep the door in the open position
just slides back with the hydraulics and doesn't keep the door open.

Is there anything to do to fix this? Or do I have to replace the part?

The part I'm talking about looks like this:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?productId=33395&catalogId= 10051&recN=0&R=8067&langId=-15&partNumber=925122&storeId=10051

You can't link to items on certain web sites, Home Depot is one of
them.

Make sure the rod (actuator piston connecting rod) is clean. Many
times a little oil is enough to prevent the sliding tab/latch from
biting into the rod. Also, as another poster mentioned, play around
with the orientation of the tab - sometimes it bites in one position
and not another.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cowpoke

Thanks for the replies & info (to all).

I will try cleaning the rod, and if that doesn't work try bending the
tab a bit. I'll let you know.
Also - I've tried it in all orientations (pointing up, etc.) didn't work.

Til later
cowpoke

Posted to alt.home.repair
cowpoke

So I tried cleaning the rod and bending the tab, but nothing worked.

I get the feeing its the surface of the "hole" of the tab that needs to
be cleaned. Does the tab slide off the rod? I am not sure of how to
disassemble this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stick a penny (sometimes needs a nickel) in between the body of the
mechanism (the large tube) and the tab when you want to prop the door.
In other words, let the tab "close" on the coin, pinching it between
tab and mechanism. Don't know why this works, but it almost always
does (maybe because it angles the tab so it "grabs onto" the rod more
-- ?)

Jo Ann