Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Replace a closer for a storm door

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Lawrence wrote:

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Having replaced a few closers in my day, I'm going to wager that it is
going to take more than just a screwdriver to replace. I'll be very
surprised if the holes on either the jamb bracket or door bracket match
the holes on the existing unit. At a minimum, you're going to need a
drill. If you are lucky, the location of the holes will be different
enough that you won't end up overlapping half a hole. I hate when that
happens!

I would take the old one with me just to be safe..maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that lines up perfectly. Depending on the type of
door you have, you might be able to relocate the closer to the top or
the middle of the door if the old holes become an issue.

It may be possible to reuse both brackets without removing. Many times
the closer is wasted but the brackets are still in place. You are right
to say a drill may be needed, especially if the old brackets aren't
usable.

The door jamb sometimes needs a bit of repair if the new bracket is to
be installed in the old location. Toothpicks and glue shoved into the
old holes will make it possible to drill new holes. Easier to use the
old brackets if you can.