JoeJoe

Default Door closer noise

Just fitted a concealed door closer to my newly-created internal kitchen.
Used Screwfix quote 12108, and fitting was very easy.

Problem is: it makes a hell of a noise when door closes/opens. The door is a
30 min fire door (pretty heavy one).

Tried to re-adjust height (noticed that it was 1 milimiter out of line -
now perfectly aligned), but it didn't make any difference. Also tried WD40.

Any idea what can cure this?

BigWallop

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Just fitted a concealed door closer to my newly-created internal kitchen.
Used Screwfix quote 12108, and fitting was very easy.

Problem is: it makes a hell of a noise when door closes/opens. The door is

30 min fire door (pretty heavy one).

Tried to re-adjust height (noticed that it was 1 milimiter out of line -
now perfectly aligned), but it didn't make any difference. Also tried

WD40.

Any idea what can cure this?

You might first think this is a joke, but it isn't. Smear the whole thing
in vegetable oil. All the bits that move and the bits which sit against the
bits that move. Yes. I'm serious.

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Just fitted a concealed door closer to my newly-created internal kitchen.
Used Screwfix quote 12108, and fitting was very easy.

Problem is: it makes a hell of a noise when door closes/opens. The door
is

30 min fire door (pretty heavy one).

Tried to re-adjust height (noticed that it was 1 milimiter out of
line -
now perfectly aligned), but it didn't make any difference. Also tried

WD40.

Any idea what can cure this?

You might first think this is a joke, but it isn't. Smear the whole thing
in vegetable oil. All the bits that move and the bits which sit against
the
bits that move. Yes. I'm serious.

When we fitted one it wasn't the noise of the gear which was a problem but
the noise of the door shutting - the thing was too powerful. It had to come
off and I put up with having to shut the door myself.

Ah well, I neded the exercise :-)

Mary

My door closer makes a loud "click" as the nightlatch engages the
keeper.

Mary, you are aware that on some door closers you can alter the speed
of travel
over the last few inches before closing? There are two controls on the
door
closer to alter the swing speed and the latch speed.

Mungo

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
When we fitted one it wasn't the noise of the gear which was a problem
but the noise of the door shutting - the thing was too powerful. It had
to come off and I put up with having to shut the door myself.

Best way to help reduce the noise is those insert rubber strips in the
door frame to prevent smoke etc getting through. But they're not an easy
fit.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
My door closer makes a loud "click" as the nightlatch engages the
keeper.

Mary, you are aware that on some door closers you can alter the speed
of travel
over the last few inches before closing? There are two controls on the
door
closer to alter the swing speed and the latch speed.

Not on the one we had. It was a chain and some kind of spring which wasn't
visible unless you looked closely because it was inserted into the long door
member (sorry, my dysphasia's come into play) at the hinge side and attached
to the jamb at that side.

Mary

Mungo

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
My door closer makes a loud "click" as the nightlatch engages the
keeper.

Mary, you are aware that on some door closers you can alter the speed
of travel
over the last few inches before closing? There are two controls on the
door
closer to alter the swing speed and the latch speed.

Not on the one we had. It was a chain and some kind of spring which wasn't
visible unless you looked closely because it was inserted into the long

door
member (sorry, my dysphasia's come into play) at the hinge side and

attached
to the jamb at that side.

Mary

If it was made by "dysphasia" then it was probably a good one. :-) LOL

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
My door closer makes a loud "click" as the nightlatch engages the
keeper.

Mary, you are aware that on some door closers you can alter the speed
of travel
over the last few inches before closing? There are two controls on the
door
closer to alter the swing speed and the latch speed.

Not on the one we had. It was a chain and some kind of spring which
wasn't
visible unless you looked closely because it was inserted into the long

door
member (sorry, my dysphasia's come into play) at the hinge side and

attached
to the jamb at that side.

Mary

If it was made by "dysphasia" then it was probably a good one. :-) LOL

You have experience?

:-)

Mary

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Can't remember. :-)

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's more specific than general loss of memory so I think you haven't :-)

Mary

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's more a lack of command over the language. :-) LOL

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's forgetting words. I'm pretty articulate and have a good command of
language but occasionally I can't remember a particular word I want. It
happened after my brain surgery, it's not too much trouble because the only
time I NEED to remember a specific word is when I'm speaking in public and I
always takeSpouse with me. He knows what I want to say, a little look
towards him and he does the prompt.

If you can't diy you get a man in ... :-)

And the word has just come to me - the stile.

Mary

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

snipped
It's more a lack of command over the language. :-) LOL

It's forgetting words. I'm pretty articulate and have a good command of
language but occasionally I can't remember a particular word I want. It
happened after my brain surgery, it's not too much trouble because the

only
time I NEED to remember a specific word is when I'm speaking in public and

always takeSpouse with me. He knows what I want to say, a little look
towards him and he does the prompt.

If you can't diy you get a man in ... :-)

And the word has just come to me - the stile.

Mary

I knew you'd get it. :-) And gees, I'm like that without surgery. :-) LOL
In my case, it's a lack of command of the language, bad memory, and down
right stupidity. :-) Even with prompting. LOL

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

snipped
It's more a lack of command over the language. :-) LOL

It's forgetting words. I'm pretty articulate and have a good command of
language but occasionally I can't remember a particular word I want. It
happened after my brain surgery, it's not too much trouble because the

only
time I NEED to remember a specific word is when I'm speaking in public
and

always takeSpouse with me. He knows what I want to say, a little look
towards him and he does the prompt.

If you can't diy you get a man in ... :-)

And the word has just come to me - the stile.

Mary

I knew you'd get it.

Oh, it always comes eventually. And no, I didn't ask Spouse.

:-) And gees, I'm like that without surgery. :-) LOL
In my case, it's a lack of command of the language, bad memory, and down
right stupidity. :-) Even with prompting. LOL

No doubt you have other skills.

I was innumerate even before surgery ... 1955 GCE Maths Alternative exam:
Arithmetic Only - Failed.

Mary

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

snipped

I was innumerate even before surgery ... 1955 GCE Maths Alternative exam:
Arithmetic Only - Failed.

Mary

But that's weird Mrs F. Everyone "counts" on you now. :-)

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

snipped

I was innumerate even before surgery ... 1955 GCE Maths Alternative exam:
Arithmetic Only - Failed.

Mary

But that's weird Mrs F. Everyone "counts" on you now. :-)

Oh, many people have done for a long time.

I just don't count on them :-)

Mary

Expected Noise Level of Various Air Conditioners [email protected] Home Repair 15 June 16th 05 04:30 PM
help me figure out this noise Michael Dauria Home Repair 3 April 21st 05 02:02 PM
Artisan saw noise Dave W Woodworking 2 January 29th 05 02:11 PM
Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 10:09 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM