Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replace a closer for a storm door

On 15 Dec 2006 22:09:05 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.

I'd suggest you get a hydraulic closer instead of a pneumatic one. Any
good hardware store will carry both. The hydraulic is slimmer in
profile, which means you can open the door a couple more degrees and
it's less obtrusive, plus they close much better. They don't have any
of that annoying pneumatic bounce. Price is about the same - needn't
spend more than $20 max.

There are both? I would have thought, if anything, when she said
pneumatic, she meant hydraulic. The ones with the adjusting screw at
one end. Now I'm going to have to go to the store.