Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replace a closer for a storm door

On 15 Dec 2006 20:01:14 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

Forget about it. that's an easy job and those closers haven't changed
much in that time. it requires no tools to replace but a screwdriver.

Having replaced a few closers in my day, I'm going to wager that it is
going to take more than just a screwdriver to replace. I'll be very
surprised if the holes on either the jamb bracket or door bracket match
the holes on the existing unit.

She might go from one store to another until she finds ones that have
the same holes. That way no extra holes. I went to five places to
find a water heater that had its pipes where my original AOSmith pipes
were. And that was just because I didn't want bends it my pipe. Bad
fung shway (just kidding. It's because I'm picky.) And I found one
at Sears.

At a minimum, you're going to need a
drill. If you are lucky, the location of the holes will be different
enough that you won't end up overlapping half a hole. I hate when that
happens!

I would take the old one with me just to be safe..maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that lines up perfectly. Depending on the type of
door you have, you might be able to relocate the closer to the top or
the middle of the door if the old holes become an issue.

But good advice. Not everyone will traipse from store to store to get
the same holes, like I would.

Anthona wrote:
I need to replace my old pneumatic closer ( over 25 years ) for my
storm door. Any suggestions? Would like to pick it up tomorrow am at
loews. Should I take the old one with me? I'm sure they have advanced
since and don't look exactly like mine does now.