Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Kitchen faucets: how do different brands rank?

As I mention in another thread, we are looking for a kitchen faucet. We
have short-listed Moen (which is what we have), Delta (a neighbor has
it), American Standard and Kohler (Both recommended by a Home Depot
worker).

I am wondering what you think of the relative quality of these brands
in the $100-150 range (for chrome models)?

The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".

A wild card here is a Danze model in steel finish that lists for $181
and some place is clearing them out for $40. But, to be honest, that's
my only reason for considering it.

I would appreciate all comments based on your experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Ajanta" wrote in message
As I mention in another thread, we are looking for a kitchen faucet. We
have short-listed Moen (which is what we have), Delta (a neighbor has
it), American Standard and Kohler (Both recommended by a Home Depot
worker).

I'm curious as to how he came up with the rankings. I've had Delta in my
houses for years and a Moen in the kitchen for the past 20 years. Since
they are virtually trouble free, I can't see how they can be bottom ranked.
One of the Deltas did have the seals replaced about 15 years ago. Ten
minutes and about $3 for the parts.

I have no experience with the other brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , on Sun, 12 Nov 2006
10:04:27 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".

In this newsgroup, I'd say people have historically rated Moen #1 and
Delta #2. Personally, I have used Delta for many years, and have had
very few problems with them. Parts are very easy to get, but rarely
required. Newer Delta and Moen faucets have lifetime warranties.
Furthermore, a quick check of the Moen web site shows that numerous
models *do* have ceramic disk valves.

I'd guess the salesman was pushing you towards the brands with the
highest margins.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt the HD "guy" was pushing for higher margians. More likely was
pushing for anything to show off his supposed knowledge to impress a
customer. Don't know how HD works in your part of the planet, but here
they've gone from hiring ex-tradesmen to hiring ex-
cons, or their equivelent. IN addition, the coporation has fprced
managers to slash hours and budgets to such a degree, no one is working
full time anymore. Methinks they're the next WalMart.

I'd seriously look into Grohe. Put it in once. Anything available at HD
or Lowes has to meet their price point. So even if it's a top of the
line model, you're buying a cheaper version the manufacturer had to
produce just for the box store shelves.

Same holds true for toilets and tubs which are shortchanged on the
glazing and quality control department, and power tools which will have
plastic, instead of metal gears and cogs.

On Nov 12, 8:13*am, Seth Goodman wrote:
In article , on Sun, 12 Nov 2006

10:04:27 GMT, Ajanta wrote:
The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".In this newsgroup, I'd say people have historically rated Moen #1 and

Delta #2. *Personally, I have used Delta for many years, and have had
very few problems with them. *Parts are very easy to get, but rarely
required. Newer Delta and Moen faucets have lifetime warranties.
Furthermore, a quick check of the Moen web site shows that numerous
models *do* have ceramic disk valves.

I'd guess the salesman was pushing you towards the brands with the
highest margins.

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Faucets need service from time to time. How much do replacement parts cost
is the question! (These can be quite expensive.)

Same thing with vacuum cleaners. How much are replacement bags/filters?

The initial cost may be low, but they will make it up on replacement parts.
Beware!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Try http://www.brickmansinc.com/index/faucets/faucets.html for some
good faucets. I'm still very pleased with my Chicago faucet in the
kitchen but it was pricey. The unit doesn't drip, the chrome-on-brass
is still in perfect shape with no chipping, etc.

Seth Goodman wrote:
In article , on Sun, 12 Nov 2006
10:04:27 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".

In this newsgroup, I'd say people have historically rated Moen #1 and
Delta #2. Personally, I have used Delta for many years, and have had
very few problems with them. Parts are very easy to get, but rarely
required. Newer Delta and Moen faucets have lifetime warranties.
Furthermore, a quick check of the Moen web site shows that numerous
models *do* have ceramic disk valves.

I'd guess the salesman was pushing you towards the brands with the
highest margins.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RPS RPS is offline

wrote:

: I doubt the HD "guy" was pushing for higher margians. More likely was
: pushing for anything to show off his supposed knowledge to impress a
: customer...

This seems more likely as I don't think HD employees get commissions.
Also, let's not forget the possibility that it could have been his
honest opinion, whether it agrees with ours or not.

Best OP or any of us can do is to sample several opinions and go from
there. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Ajanta" wrote in message
As I mention in another thread, we are looking for a kitchen faucet. We
have short-listed Moen (which is what we have), Delta (a neighbor has
it), American Standard and Kohler (Both recommended by a Home Depot
worker).

I'm curious as to how he came up with the rankings. I've had Delta in my
houses for years and a Moen in the kitchen for the past 20 years. Since
they are virtually trouble free, I can't see how they can be bottom ranked.
One of the Deltas did have the seals replaced about 15 years ago. Ten
minutes and about $3 for the parts.

I have no experience with the other brands.

My experience with Moen is poor. Silt in my water supply means frequent
disassembly and repair/replacement. Delta has less trouble. YMMV

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Ajanta" wrote...

The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".

I just bought a Kohler for our newly remodeled kitchen. Frankly, it was
only because they had a "high rise" model that looked good, and none of the
others I saw had anything similar for a reasonable price. You can get them
for $100, but of course OUR sink required the $180 version (widely spaced
holes; required 4 separate units).

"Ceramic disk valves" may be good, but they are not the only point of
failure. I had a Price-Pfister faucet on the old sink; it had the combo
faucet/sprayer on an extendible hose. I had had to change the
faucet/sprayer assembly twice in 9 or 10 years because it would leak or
stick. Each time, it was over half the price of an entire new unit!

My new Kohler has a separate sprayer...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Each time I needed replacement parts for my Price Pfister kitchen faucet, I
got them for free from Price Pfister, using their "pforever" warranty,
including the diverter and faucet cartridges.

Bob

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in
message . ..
"Ajanta" wrote...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
GWB GWB is offline

A plumber, whom I trusted, once told me: "Don't buy anything, but
Delta."
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , "DIMwit" wrote:
Each time I needed replacement parts for my Price Pfister kitchen faucet, I
got them for free from Price Pfister, using their "pforever" warranty,
including the diverter and faucet cartridges.

Price Pfister are very serious about honoring their warranty
and some. I too have had a number of expensive parts sent
free of charge.

Grohe and Kohler seem to offer comparable service levels
although I have only called upon those manufacturers one
time each.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

John Weiss wrote:
"Ajanta" wrote...

[...]

Price-Pfister will send you new parts for free. I just got a new
cartridge for my kitchen faucet. Cost me $5.00 for shipping. They sent
me the wrong one cause the design had changed. My faucet was 10 years
old. I called and they sent the correct one. NO charge at all. Said I
had already paid the one time shipping charge. They even overnighted the
part. Good folks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I've bought a couple "Pegasus" brand in my house. Both lever
type...one in kitchen and one in bath. Kitchen was $80 (high rise,
beautiful faucet IMHO) and bathroom $40 (basic chrome).

Both have made it more than a year without any trouble, they hook up
easily as any other faucet and feel solid. I replaced a moen in my
kitchen...it felt cheap and flimsy...but I didn't buy it so it may have
been a bargain basement moen.

Jason Kelly
Valley Center, KS

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ajanta wrote:
[...]

I had a Moen faucet in the kitchen for about 20 years and it finally
broke, which is OK. I think 20 years of use is probably reasonable.

The big problem, however, came when I tried to buy something to replace
it. I couldn't find anything, including the new Moen faucets, that had
a large enough base to cover the footprint left by the old faucet. As
it turned out Moen had discontinued that particular model. So, now with
the new faucet, there is about 1/8" showing on my stainless steel sink
all around the faucet.

I did all of the scrubbing I could, but there is still discoloration
that shows where the old faucet was. It's really not to bad and you
have to look close to see it. Still, the situation did make me angry
with Moen and I haven't completely got over it yet. What kind of
company would design a faucet with a large foot print and then come out
with a line of new ones 20 years later that all have a smaller
footprint?

Maybe all faucet manufacturer's do that sort of thing. I dunno, but
I'll never buy another Moen again, if I can help it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ajanta, Mike M. wrote:
ajanta wrote:

[...]

I am a custom home builder and have seen every kind of plumbing fixture
you can imagine. Expensive does NOT equate to high-quality. More than a
few absurdly wealthy clients want very specific brands/models because
they've seen them in a design center or had them recommended by
someone...and money is no object. While some of these high-end products
are just fine, more than a few present challenges from assembly and
installation to availability of parts. And some tend to like to change
models often. That would be okay except in cases where the "guts" of the
fixture change as well. Try finding a replacement part for a fixture that
was only manufactured for 2 years.

Here is your safe bet ... regardless of the Home Depot "expert's" opinion.
Delta, Moen and Kohler are tried and true. And they typically rank price
wise in that same order, i.e., Delta/Moen/Kohler. But here's the twist.
They are not all "created equal." Some (not all) of the models carried in
the DIY stores can be lower-end. They look similar to another Moen
faucets (for example), but they're built to the specs to meet cost demands
of the DIY big boxes. To avoid this, find a reputable fixture supplier
... someone like Ferguson's Supply ... in your area. Take a picture
and/or model number of a faucet you've found at Home Depot/Lowes, etc.,
and have them compare it to what they supply. Chances are it may be a
little more expensive, but you'll be getting the quality you expect. Btw,
those supply places will also have ridiculously expensive fixtures as
well. Don't be intimidated or upsold. Stick to the "real" Delta, Moen,
Kohler brands and you likely won't be disappointed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ajanta wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Our 20 YO custom built home has all Delta products in the kitchen and 4
bathrooms. No trouble so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2015 1:44 PM, Mike M. wrote:

I am a custom home builder and have seen every kind of plumbing fixture
you can imagine.
Don't be intimidated or upsold. Stick to the "real" Delta, Moen,
Kohler brands and you likely won't be disappointed.

I'm not a pro, but a homeowner for 49 years. I've had all three of
those brands with excellent results.

I'd be more influenced by the features and style I want, brand name
second. The Moen in the kichen is about 28 years old. I recently
replaced the Delta in the bathrooms with Kohler after 34 years because
of a remodel, but they were still working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bough an $82 Delta single-handle kitchen faucet installed two years ago and for the last 3 months you have to turn it off 2-3x to get it to stop dripping. Highway robbery if you ask me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2015 4:10 PM, wrote:
I bough an $82 Delta single-handle kitchen faucet installed two years ago and for the last 3 months you have to turn it off 2-3x to get it to stop dripping. Highway robbery if you ask me!

Can be rebuilt for about 5 bucks and 5 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:04:27 AM UTC-7, Ajanta wrote:
As I mention in another thread, we are looking for a kitchen faucet. We
have short-listed Moen (which is what we have), Delta (a neighbor has
it), American Standard and Kohler (Both recommended by a Home Depot
worker).

I am wondering what you think of the relative quality of these brands
in the $100-150 range (for chrome models)?

The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".

A wild card here is a Danze model in steel finish that lists for $181
and some place is clearing them out for $40. But, to be honest, that's
my only reason for considering it.

I'd trust the HD guy if he can show you his plumber's license and
will give you a written guarantee to replace and install for free
any faucet he recommends that doesn't work out.

Stick with Delta/Peerless, Moen, Kohler, American Standard, and
Pfister because parts for them are available everywhere, they have
lifetime warranties, and their warranty service is very good, although
Pfister charges for shipping.

Stainless steel is the best material for faucet bodies, but any metal
body (brass, zinc) plated with chrome, nickel, gold, etc. should last
a long time. Try to avoid plastic bodies because they flex a lot
more and the plating doesn't stick nearly as well, making the plating
more prone to peeling off.

Faucet valves are usually either ceramic disks, Delta ball, or Moen
cartridge. They're all good and long-lasting, but I wouldn't use a
Moen where the whole faucet can't be removed easily, such as from a shower/bathtub, because Moen cartridges become very hard to remove
when they seize from mineral build-up or one of their rubber seals
wedges. Fortunately many newer Moens don't use that cartridge but
have ceramic disk cartridges (not interchangeable with the old
ones). Delta ball valves are easy and cheap to fix, but try to use
genuine Delta seals because they seem to last much longer. Delta
also uses ceramic disk cartridges for some models.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:44:01 +0000, Mike M.
wrote:

A wild card here is a Danze model in steel finish that lists for $181
and some place is clearing them out for $40. But, to be honest, that's
my only reason for considering it.

Danze is the "Designer" line for Delta. If you like the styles they
are clearing out that would be a real bargain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2015 10:44 AM, Mike M. wrote:
Stick to the "real" Delta, Moen,
Kohler brands and you likely won't be disappointed.

How about Chicago Faucets?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
People blame the faucet for other problem. When I moved to this house,
Delta rubber cups lasted 12 to 18 months. I put a water filter in the
main line and they lasted 25 years.

interesting, we have a water filter in the line
and the rubber cups wore out within a few years.

i tried to replace them and the faucet leaked
worse with the replacement parts than with the
old ones in so they are still in there. now i
can stop the drip by putting the faucet up to
the left a little, but it is gradually getting
worse again.

i also tried replacing the ball with a better
one while also replacing the springs and cups but
that didn't help at all and it was much worse.

either there is a trick to it all or my guaranteed
compatible replacement parts aren't ...

does coating any of these with a heavy grease
help?

i don't know what washers someone is speaking of.
there's no washers in the delta ball faucet we have.
it is just the ball and some springs, rubber cups
and the plastic cap with o-rings which holds down
the ball and presses it against the cups/springs
and then the outer screwed down ring which keeps
it all in place.

some day i will either be trying to get the leak
stopped again or replace the whole thing with another
device entirely. it is the main sink which gets used
20-100 times a day. the other sink which also gets a
lot of use was replaced at the same time and it has
never leaked or needed new cups or springs, but it is
not the same design. i think they may have just had
a bad batch or the person who did the initial install
made an error of some sort.

i'm not a plumber so i can't say much else.
(haha, not like that will stop me rattling on anyways
sometimes )

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2015 10:39 PM, Todd wrote:
On 01/01/2015 10:44 AM, Mike M. wrote:
Stick to the "real" Delta, Moen,
Kohler brands and you likely won't be disappointed.

How about Chicago Faucets?

Don't know much about them.. The styles they have are not what I'd use
so never looked into them. They have an industrial/commercial look to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

songbird wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Some times you can already damage the new parts during install. process.
If you look at the cup with magnifying glass, you may see why faucet
leaks. Only thing I replaced is plastic cheap diverter valve for vege.
spray with bronze one when house was new 20 years ago. Parts store clerk
told me about the weak valve ahead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote: "On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 13:10:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

"Frequently the debris can be dislodged by rapidly opening the faucet
to full open and then full closed several times. "

That is how we have been operating this thing for the past 13 months of the two years since installation! It also 'groans' briefly when moving the handle.

Do you think we got a knock-off Delta?

BTW to those who mentioned water hardness: we live in SW CT and our pool dealer confirmed ours is some of the SOFTest water east of the Mississippi.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd avoid Moen. They make quality faucets, but they're out to steal
your wallet when the day comes to repair a drip. Their replacement
cartridges cost almost as much as the initial cost of the faucet.

ALl faucets will eventually need repair. Some sooner than you'd
imagine, if your water is high in minerals or contains a little "grit",
which can originate from a well, or calcium deposits that break loose
from the pipes and get into the faucet, which damages O-rings, plastic
parts, end even metal parts.

I remember the days when any faucet could be repaired by buying two
10cent washers, and after 20 or 30 years you may need to buy two new
seats at $1 each. Those days are gone. Now you buy a whole cartridge,
which some are difficult to remove and assemble. Not only does it take
much more time to repair, but they cost damn near as much as a new
faucet. These companies know how to steal your money, and Moen seems to
be one of the worst.

Not too long ago, I had to replace a single handle bathtub unit (Moen).
Taking it apart was a nightmare, then they wanted almost as much as a
new faucet to buy their cartridge kit. (about $50). I removed it, and
tossed it in the metal recycling bin. Then I went shopping for a new
faucet. I found out no one even makes plain washer type faucets
anymore. Since I dont use the shower, I just bought two spigots
intended to be used outdoors for a garden hose, and installed them above
my tub. They work fine, and cost me around $5 each. If they start to
drip, I'll just need a pair of washers.

There is no reason that many of these new faucets need to be built so
complicated and costly. All a faucet does is turn water on or off. A
plain old washer has worked for centuries. All these new faucets are is
a glorified means to turn water on and off, with a fancy look to them.
For me, looks are not important, and I actually like the look of my
brass spigots, which I spray painted the red handle blue for the cold
water, since I could not find one with a blue handle in the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2015 4:38 PM, wrote:

I'd avoid Moen. They make quality faucets, but they're out to steal
your wallet when the day comes to repair a drip. Their replacement
cartridges cost almost as much as the initial cost of the faucet.

Get them for free with lifetime warranty.
http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

If this faucet should ever develop a leak or drip during the Warranty
Period, Moen will FREE OF CHARGE provide the parts necessary to put the
faucet back in good working condition and will replace FREE OF CHARGE
any part or finish that proves defective in material and manufacturing
workmanship, under normal installation, use and service. Replacement
parts may be obtained by calling 1-800-289-6636 (Canada 1-800-465-6130),
or by writing to Moen Incorporated, 25300 Al Moen Drive, North OImsted,
OH 44070-8022.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:

Goos show with those outdoor faucets inside the house, LOL! I get your frustration.

Speaking of K.I.S.S., I'm in the icecream case at the supermarket last week looking for a half-gallon of plain vanilla or vanilla-half-chocolate. I says to the frozen clerk: Remember back when you could have any flavor of ice cream as long as it was choc, strawberry, or vanilla? Yuppie soccer mom lady next to me gave me a snobby look as she retrieved a "Rocky Road" blocking my view of the plain vanilla I was looking for. LOL Even ice cream is over complicated today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 9:06:41 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:

i tried to replace them and the faucet leaked
worse with the replacement parts than with the
old ones in so they are still in there. now i
can stop the drip by putting the faucet up to
the left a little, but it is gradually getting
worse again.

i also tried replacing the ball with a better
one while also replacing the springs and cups but
that didn't help at all and it was much worse.

does coating any of these with a heavy grease
help?

Grease won't help it seal better and will wash away in
a few days, even if it's waterproof plumber's grease.

Delta has made their balls out of brass, plastic, and stainless
steel, and the latter seem to be troublefree, at least if they're
genuine Delta.

Did you install the springs correctly, with the narrower
end going into the cup? Because if the wider end goes
into the cup, it won't be able to slide freely inside its
bore.

Did you overtighten the cups with the big threaded ring on top?
That will make the cups will wear much faster and even make them
shed tiny chips. It's best to tighten the ring just barely so
the faucet spout doesn't drip, opening and closing the faucet
each time. Then tighten the ring another 1/16 turn at a time
until the leaks around the ball stem stop when you move the
stem. However when you move the stem it's perfectly normal for
a thin film of water to appear at the top of the ball, but it
will completely evaporate in less than a second.

It's best to use only genuine Delta sealing cups, or at least cups
made of the same Delrin plastic instead of rubber. I had Walmart
brand cups wear out in months, while Delta cups almost always last
5+ years, except when I inserted a coil spring backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 16:53:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/4/2015 4:38 PM, wrote:

I'd avoid Moen. They make quality faucets, but they're out to steal
your wallet when the day comes to repair a drip. Their replacement
cartridges cost almost as much as the initial cost of the faucet.

Get them for free with lifetime warranty.
http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

If this faucet should ever develop a leak or drip during the Warranty
Period, Moen will FREE OF CHARGE provide the parts necessary to put the
faucet back in good working condition and will replace FREE OF CHARGE
any part or finish that proves defective in material and manufacturing
workmanship, under normal installation, use and service. Replacement
parts may be obtained by calling 1-800-289-6636 (Canada 1-800-465-6130),
or by writing to Moen Incorporated, 25300 Al Moen Drive, North OImsted,
OH 44070-8022.

I was not aware of this. Thanks!

Kind of makes me wonder why they sell the cartridges in the stores
then??? But I suppose most people dont know about the warranty. My
Moen came with the house. I dont have a warranty card. I wonder if
they would still honor it? I dont intend to replace my spigots, they
work fine, and I kind of like being able to hook a garden hose to them
if I want hot water to wash my car in summer. But I'll dig the thing
out of the recycle bin if I can get a free cartridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2015 4:38 PM, wrote:

[...]

Faucets installed when the house is built often don't have the same
warranty as faucets bought in retail stores, and at our old house,
the Moens put in by the builder were covered for only 2 years, as
I learned from Moen when I phoned them about a bathtub faucet that
was over 20 years old, but they sent a free cartridge anyway, maybe
because I had a @!&/*# of a time trying to remove the stuck
cartridge. Moen said that if the customer didn't have a receipt,
they normally went by a letter and number date code stamped near
the end of the metal stem. Last year, I simply filled out a
"contact us" form at Moen's website and included a photo of the
old cartridge (o-ring broke) but admitted I didn't have proof of
purchase, but they gave me a new cartridge anyway. Moen doesn't
have warranty cards, but you can register purchases at their
website.