Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] larrymoencurly@my-deja.com is offline

Default Kitchen faucets: how do different brands rank?

On Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:04:27 AM UTC-7, Ajanta wrote:
As I mention in another thread, we are looking for a kitchen faucet. We
have short-listed Moen (which is what we have), Delta (a neighbor has
it), American Standard and Kohler (Both recommended by a Home Depot
worker).

I am wondering what you think of the relative quality of these brands
in the $100-150 range (for chrome models)?

The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".

A wild card here is a Danze model in steel finish that lists for $181
and some place is clearing them out for $40. But, to be honest, that's
my only reason for considering it.

I'd trust the HD guy if he can show you his plumber's license and
will give you a written guarantee to replace and install for free
any faucet he recommends that doesn't work out.

Stick with Delta/Peerless, Moen, Kohler, American Standard, and
Pfister because parts for them are available everywhere, they have
lifetime warranties, and their warranty service is very good, although
Pfister charges for shipping.

Stainless steel is the best material for faucet bodies, but any metal
body (brass, zinc) plated with chrome, nickel, gold, etc. should last
a long time. Try to avoid plastic bodies because they flex a lot
more and the plating doesn't stick nearly as well, making the plating
more prone to peeling off.

Faucet valves are usually either ceramic disks, Delta ball, or Moen
cartridge. They're all good and long-lasting, but I wouldn't use a
Moen where the whole faucet can't be removed easily, such as from a shower/bathtub, because Moen cartridges become very hard to remove
when they seize from mineral build-up or one of their rubber seals
wedges. Fortunately many newer Moens don't use that cartridge but
have ceramic disk cartridges (not interchangeable with the old
ones). Delta ball valves are easy and cheap to fix, but try to use
genuine Delta seals because they seem to last much longer. Delta
also uses ceramic disk cartridges for some models.