Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Kitchen faucets: how do different brands rank?

Mike M. wrote:
replying to Ajanta, Mike M. wrote:
ajanta wrote:

As I mention in another thread, we are looking for a kitchen faucet. We
have short-listed Moen (which is what we have), Delta (a neighbor has
it), American Standard and Kohler (Both recommended by a Home Depot
worker).
I am wondering what you think of the relative quality of these brands
in the $100-150 range (for chrome models)?
The HD guy said Delta was the worst, Moen next up, and AS and Kohler
the best of the lot. He seemed to imply that AS would offer the best
value (he demonstrated how one of their models was heavier than other
brands), and that Moen's problem is that they don't use "ceramic disc
valves".
A wild card here is a Danze model in steel finish that lists for $181
and some place is clearing them out for $40. But, to be honest, that's
my only reason for considering it.
I would appreciate all comments based on your experience.

I am a custom home builder and have seen every kind of plumbing fixture
you can imagine. Expensive does NOT equate to high-quality. More than a
few absurdly wealthy clients want very specific brands/models because
they've seen them in a design center or had them recommended by
someone...and money is no object. While some of these high-end products
are just fine, more than a few present challenges from assembly and
installation to availability of parts. And some tend to like to change
models often. That would be okay except in cases where the "guts" of the
fixture change as well. Try finding a replacement part for a fixture that
was only manufactured for 2 years.
Here is your safe bet ... regardless of the Home Depot "expert's" opinion.
Delta, Moen and Kohler are tried and true. And they typically rank price
wise in that same order, i.e., Delta/Moen/Kohler. But here's the twist.
They are not all "created equal." Some (not all) of the models carried in
the DIY stores can be lower-end. They look similar to another Moen
faucets (for example), but they're built to the specs to meet cost demands
of the DIY big boxes. To avoid this, find a reputable fixture supplier
.. someone like Ferguson's Supply ... in your area. Take a picture
and/or model number of a faucet you've found at Home Depot/Lowes, etc.,
and have them compare it to what they supply. Chances are it may be a
little more expensive, but you'll be getting the quality you expect. Btw,
those supply places will also have ridiculously expensive fixtures as
well. Don't be intimidated or upsold. Stick to the "real" Delta, Moen,
Kohler brands and you likely won't be disappointed.

Hi,
Our 20 YO custom built home has all Delta products in the kitchen and 4
bathrooms. No trouble so far.