Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I don't know if it is a law, but gas cans are red, kero cans are blue. This
avoids potential problems from mix-ups. Putting gas in a kerosene heater
can be a disaster. It is legal to use a plastic can. If a slight residue
is left, it will easily mix with gas and you'll never see a problem in a
mower or car once diluted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

When you say the opposite is illegal, surely you don't mean putting plastic
gasoline cans in kerosene?

I don't see why it would be illegal, I think it would be a very dumb idea
for a dealer to do this - the two are NOT interchangible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

I stenciled "kerosene" on a plastic gas can and have been using it for 20
years.
I don't recommend it because it is too easy to make a mistake. I did it in
an emergency, and now am too cheap to do otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

If you have no room for a kero can you just plain have too much ****.

Don't swap them Period

There are a bizillion different plastics/properties. Different liquids
will eat or not eat away at plastics at a very fast or very slow rate.
I'm sure you want gallons of fuel leaking out of a can that "I dunno wha
happen. I've been using that can for months. Must be a can defect.".

But why are gas cans red and kero cans blue? Think fireman. So when they
go to put out a fire they will know what's in the can from far away
without having to go up and sniff your can (no pun intended) or pull out
binoculars to read makeshift labels. Then they know what to put on it so
they put it out and not spread the flammable.

Sell $10 worth of that useless **** you have on ebay and buy a can.
Solves the space problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy writes:

Different liquids
will eat or not eat away at plastics at a very fast or very slow rate.

Don't be silly. If it holds gasoline it will hold kerosene. They're both
just petroleum distillates, with gasoline the lighter, more solvent
fraction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Al Bundy writes:

Different liquids
will eat or not eat away at plastics at a very fast or very slow
rate.

Don't be silly. If it holds gasoline it will hold kerosene. They're
both just petroleum distillates, with gasoline the lighter, more
solvent fraction.

I'm confident it would. Just a general statement not to develop a bad
habit that could be nasty.

I've seen xylene melt "plastic" on contact before my eyes. I've seen it
clean other "plastics" like ammonia on glass. Obviously they were two
very different plastics. Long ago but I think one may have been Lexan?

The main point was the firefighter issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:24:00 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

I stenciled "kerosene" on a plastic gas can and have been using it for 20
years.
I don't recommend it because it is too easy to make a mistake. I did it in
an emergency, and now am too cheap to do otherwise.

Are you my long lost brother? I've been searching for you for 20
years!

Maybe I'll take a marker with me, and write kerosene if the guy
insists. Later I can change it to skerosene, so as not to confuse
anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy writes:

I've seen xylene melt "plastic" on contact before my eyes.

Know your solvents vs plastics:

http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/tech...al_chart_5.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:24:00 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Again, Red Green comes to the rescue...

Remember those things when you (me anyway) were a kid where you wrote on
the film over the silver/grey backing? You pulled the film up and it
erased the writing for a clean slate. Can't remember what it was called.

Just duct tape one of those to the can and change at will at the station.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:54:39 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

I stenciled "kerosene" on a plastic gas can and have been using it for
20 years.
I don't recommend it because it is too easy to make a mistake. I did
it in an emergency, and now am too cheap to do otherwise.

Are you my long lost brother? I've been searching for you for 20
years!

Maybe I'll take a marker with me, and write kerosene if the guy
insists. Later I can change it to skerosene, so as not to confuse
anyone.

Again, Red Green comes to the rescue...

Remember those things when you (me anyway) were a kid where you wrote on
the film over the silver/grey backing? You pulled the film up and it
erased the writing for a clean slate. Can't remember what it was called.

I had that and I liked it. I don't remember the name.

Just duct tape one of those to the can and change at will at the station.

Great idea. I should have though of that. When in college I had keys
that were stamped on them Do Not Duplicate, I would put some paper
tape around the head of the key and write "Back Door" on the paper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Traces of kero won't hurt a gasoline engine. Half or a third kero
might not start the mower.

Years ago, they used to use kerosene and gasoline for remote location
pump houses. Start the engine on gas, and then switch over to kero.
Because kero stores longer without going stale.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
mm wrote in
:

[...]

Gas and Kero are basically the same. The only difference in the cans
is the color.
Firemen don't care what is in the can. If it is red or blue they will
be treating it as highly flammable.

I have three different gas cans. Regular, premium, chainsaw - all are
identified with magic marker. I also have my decoy 5 gal. I pity the
thief who grabs the first "gas" can he sees. He will get about 4
gallons of diesel, used paint thinner, gas that was used for cleaning
parts and some other stuff I forgot. That is my brush pile fire
starter.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Harry K :

Gas and Kero are basically the same. The only difference in the cans
is the color.
Firemen don't care what is in the can. If it is red or blue they will
be treating it as highly flammable.

Firemen do care. I was one for a bit. ;-)

Gasoline is far more of a fire hazard than kerosene or diesel, and
depending on the circumstances will be treated differently.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Traces of kero won't hurt a gasoline engine. Half or a third kero
might not start the mower.

Years ago, they used to use kerosene and gasoline for remote location
pump houses. Start the engine on gas, and then switch over to kero.
Because kero stores longer without going stale.

And I remember that during WWII one of the DIY magazines like Pop
Science ran an article on how to adapt your car to start on gasoline and
then switch it over to kero or even #2 fuel oil which was easier to come
by during the war than rationed gasoline was.

IIRC they had you wrap a couple of feet of copper tubing loosely around
the exhaust manifold and ran the alternate fuel through it before it got
to the carb to make it easier to vaporize.

You had to switch back to gasoline for a short while before shutting
down, so the carb bowl was filled with gasoline for the next start.

You prolly would have a hell of a time trying to do that with one of
today's computerized fuel injected cars, but back then when all you
needed to make a car engine run was "fire and gas" and you could play
with thinkgs like ignition timing just by rotating the distributor,
stuff was a lot easier to tinker with. Hell, I swear my 2004 Lincoln
throws on its "Check Engine" light if I fart with the windows closed.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I don't know if it is a law, but gas cans are red, kero cans are blue. This
avoids potential problems from mix-ups. Putting gas in a kerosene heater
can be a disaster. It is legal to use a plastic can. If a slight residue
is left, it will easily mix with gas and you'll never see a problem in a
mower or car once diluted.

Absolutely. Only one other thought. Kerosene is
sold in plastic containers. Personally, I prefer
to keep it a gallon glass bottle on the floor, but
some may consider that dangerous.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:46:33 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Traces of kero won't hurt a gasoline engine. Half or a third kero
might not start the mower.

Years ago, they used to use kerosene and gasoline for remote location
pump houses. Start the engine on gas, and then switch over to kero.
Because kero stores longer without going stale.

And I remember that during WWII one of the DIY magazines like Pop
Science ran an article on how to adapt your car to start on gasoline and
then switch it over to kero or even #2 fuel oil which was easier to come
by during the war than rationed gasoline was.

IIRC they had you wrap a couple of feet of copper tubing loosely around
the exhaust manifold and ran the alternate fuel through it before it got
to the carb to make it easier to vaporize.

You had to switch back to gasoline for a short while before shutting
down, so the carb bowl was filled with gasoline for the next start.

Sounds very high tech, and I'm not kidding.

You prolly would have a hell of a time trying to do that with one of
today's computerized fuel injected cars, but back then when all you

You couldn't do it yourself, but they could make the computer handle
the switchover and the switch back. Would make it pretty easy.

Of course, this war isn't like WWII. No one is asking anyone to cut
back on gasoline use. High prices may discourage some, but we were
told to buy things, to spend money. This is supposed to be a painless
war on the home front. Well, home is not a front, except for those
with family members in the war.

needed to make a car engine run was "fire and gas" and you could play
with thinkgs like ignition timing just by rotating the distributor,
stuff was a lot easier to tinker with. Hell, I swear my 2004 Lincoln
throws on its "Check Engine" light if I fart with the windows closed.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm writes:

Did they have gasoline in the second half of the 19th century\? If
they did, I think it would be wicked up by the lantern wick and
evaporate. Wouldn't be nearly as practical as kerosene for that
reason, and I don't think one could safely burn it in a lantern.

Correct.

In the 19th century petroleum was distilled for kerosene lamp oil. They
threw out the gasoline (!) from the process, as there was no use for it
prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
mm writes:

Did they have gasoline in the second half of the 19th century\? If
they did, I think it would be wicked up by the lantern wick and
evaporate. Wouldn't be nearly as practical as kerosene for that
reason, and I don't think one could safely burn it in a lantern.

Correct.

In the 19th century petroleum was distilled for kerosene lamp oil. They
threw out the gasoline (!) from the process, as there was no use for it
prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine

Except that gasoline was used for the pump up lanterns. They had
mantles instead of wicks and you had to buy white gas as lead would
contaminate the mantle. Put out a harsh, bright light.

Using it in an 'oil' lamp would be very dangerous.

Gas was also used in the old blow torches.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Harry K :
Except that gasoline was used for the pump up lanterns. They had
mantles instead of wicks and you had to buy white gas as lead would
contaminate the mantle. Put out a harsh, bright light.

Heh, back in those days, you just bought "gas".

TEL wasn't added to gasoline until _much_ later - first they
had to invent cars.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K writes:

In the 19th century petroleum was distilled for kerosene lamp oil. They
threw out the gasoline (!) from the process, as there was no use for it
prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine

Except that gasoline was used for the pump up lanterns.

Except they weren't invented until close to the 20th century:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/munwai/history.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

I stenciled "kerosene" on a plastic gas can and have been using it for
20 years.
I don't recommend it because it is too easy to make a mistake. I did
it in an emergency, and now am too cheap to do otherwise.

Are you my long lost brother? I've been searching for you for 20
years!

Maybe I'll take a marker with me, and write kerosene if the guy
insists. Later I can change it to skerosene, so as not to confuse
anyone.

Again, Red Green comes to the rescue...

Remember those things when you (me anyway) were a kid where you wrote on
the film over the silver/grey backing? You pulled the film up and it
erased the writing for a clean slate. Can't remember what it was called.

I had that and I liked it. I don't remember the name.

Some old memory bubbles have popped out saying Magic Slate" maybe. I think
I used a Magic Marker on it eventually. Figured they were both magic and I
wanted to see magically how this marker that won't come off anything came
off my Magic Slate. "Waaaaaahhhhh! Mommy, my Magic Slate is broke.
Wahhhhhhh!".

So mom tries to fix it by using fingernail polish remover and the film
melts big time.

Guess mom didn't "Know your solvents vs plastics:" and check the the MDS
sheet first, ehhh Richard :-)

Just duct tape one of those to the can and change at will at the station.

Great idea. I should have though of that. When in college I had keys
that were stamped on them Do Not Duplicate, I would put some paper
tape around the head of the key and write "Back Door" on the paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:17:00 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

Remember those things when you (me anyway) were a kid where you wrote on
the film over the silver/grey backing? You pulled the film up and it
erased the writing for a clean slate. Can't remember what it was called.

I had that and I liked it. I don't remember the name.

Some old memory bubbles have popped out saying Magic Slate" maybe. I think
I used a Magic Marker on it eventually. Figured they were both magic and I
wanted to see magically how this marker that won't come off anything came
off my Magic Slate. "Waaaaaahhhhh! Mommy, my Magic Slate is broke.
Wahhhhhhh!".

LOL.

We didn't have Magic Markers when I was that age. I don't think
anyone did.

So mom tries to fix it by using fingernail polish remover and the film
melts big time.

Guess mom didn't "Know your solvents vs plastics:" and check the the MDS
sheet first, ehhh Richard :-)

Definitely, mom didn't know that chart.

Just duct tape one of those to the can and change at will at the station.

Great idea. I should have though of that. ...

So I decided I should fill the other container too, but I only
labelled one. The guy didn't care at all and he filled both of them.

I ended up at a tool rental place. They sell the kerosene for
heaters, and it was 2.89 a gallon from a big tank. And they'll sell
as little as the customer wants.

Not 7 dollars a gallon in a pretty plastic bottle.

But it turns our there aren't many places around that sell it. Later
I thought I shoudl have gone to my favorite hardware store, and I was
there today and they don't sell it. The closest place he could think
of was 15 or 20 miles from here, almost in Pennsylvania. So I wasn't
a fool for not knowing where to go.

Years ago, I bought a quart can, just to spur the wood fire in the
fireplace (using an iron pan with a porous brick in it.) No one seems
to sell the quart can anymore, but I also refilled that, again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch ) said...

In the 19th century petroleum was distilled for kerosene lamp oil. They
threw out the gasoline (!) from the process, as there was no use for it
prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine.

useless trivia mode
1911 was the first year that the petroleum industry sold more gasoline
than kerosene.
/useless trivia mode

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yellow is for diesel fuel.

Of course, ideally, the proper color container for the
proper fuel. As you said, it's wise to label the container
if used in emergency for some other fuel.

A trace of kerosene won't hurt gasoline, if kerosene must be
hauled in a red container.

I've heard more than one person say they mixed gasoline & kerosene 50-50
back during WWII when there was gasoline rationing. Smoked a bit but no
damage. In todays cars... who knows? I wouldn't want to risk it
killing a bunch of sensors. But like you say, a trace amount won't hurt
anything
Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe yellow is for DIESEL FUEL

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you were trying to escape a hurricane, it's worth a try.
Kerosene used to run in some gas enginese, after the motor
was warmed up. They did that at remote pump houses, years
ago. Might still do. Kerosene does go stale, but more slowly
than gasoline.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message

I've heard more than one person say they mixed gasoline &
kerosene 50-50
back during WWII when there was gasoline rationing. Smoked
a bit but no
damage. In todays cars... who knows? I wouldn't want to
risk it
killing a bunch of sensors. But like you say, a trace
amount won't hurt
anything

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:24:00 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

I stenciled "kerosene" on a plastic gas can and have been using it for 20
years.
I don't recommend it because it is too easy to make a mistake. I did it in
an emergency, and now am too cheap to do otherwise.

Yep, easy to mistake:

I heat with wood, cut my own. Went out to burn my brush piles one day, stopped filled up two cans, gas (for lawn mower) and diesel (to start fires) both in red cans but one with big yellow spout.

Fire piles were a bit stubborn starting so I was going back and forth adding diesel. Toss a bit WHOOSH!. About the third time I looked down and I was using the gas can and it had a flame flickering at the spout. Slapped my glove on it, retired to the truck for a cup of coffee while my nerves recovered.

Diesel is now in a yellow can (as it should have been then).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 14, 2006 8:07:18 AM UTC-7, Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Harry K

Gas and Kero are basically the same. The only difference in the cans
is the color.
Firemen don't care what is in the can. If it is red or blue they will
be treating it as highly flammable.

Firemen do care. I was one for a bit. ;-)

Gasoline is far more of a fire hazard than kerosene or diesel, and
depending on the circumstances will be treated differently.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Actually the part you quoted was by Bundy. I did a poor job of editing.
Yes firemen care greatly!!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Years ago we laughed at my uncle that had painted "garbage" on his
garbage can.

I guess we would laugh today if he painted "gas" on his gas can
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Harry K, Cheryl Grosso wrote:
Ok so how do I clean out an old gas can to transport kerosene as a temporary
solution. Cold snap hit, and I dire need of heat, kerosene heaters and one
fire place are all I have and the fire place alone is not sufficient. I plan
to purchase proper container when I can but now I need the money to pay for
the kerosene to heat my house.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-137544-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/09/2017 05:14 AM, Cheryl Grosso wrote:
replying to Harry K, Cheryl Grosso wrote:
Ok so how do I clean out an old gas can to transport kerosene as a
temporary
solution. Cold snap hit, and I dire need of heat, kerosene heaters
and one
fire place are all I have and the fire place alone is not sufficient. I
plan
to purchase proper container when I can but now I need the money to pay for
the kerosene to heat my house.

Pour out the gas and fill it with kerosene. They are miscible. You may
have to find a colorblind supplier if they're picky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is spooky to read "Stormin's" old posts...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I read one yesterday and wanted to reply i hope the light is everlasting based on his beliefs so there would be no more dead batteries.

suitable sticky flammable fluids? williamhenry Metalworking 26 September 21st 05 07:12 PM
Are push fit plumbing fittings any good? Steve UK diy 75 September 3rd 05 01:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM
Plastic Pipes in central heating Zetor UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 12:18 PM