Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

On 1/2/2015 1:41 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:24:00 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
Is it legal for a vendor to put kerosene in a plastic gasoline can?
(I assume the opposite is illegal, but I don't know about this.)

Is there any other reason not to put in in one?

If after I've emptied all the kerosene and want to use it for
gasoline, if there's a little bit of kerosene still in it, will that
be a problem for a lawn mower or a car?

I have a spare platic can and no room for a kerosene can, and I would
only need it for a few months anyhow.

I stenciled "kerosene" on a plastic gas can and have been using it for 20
years.
I don't recommend it because it is too easy to make a mistake. I did it in
an emergency, and now am too cheap to do otherwise.

Yep, easy to mistake:

I heat with wood, cut my own. Went out to burn my brush piles one day, stopped filled up two cans, gas (for lawn mower) and diesel (to start fires) both in red cans but one with big yellow spout.

Fire piles were a bit stubborn starting so I was going back and forth adding diesel. Toss a bit WHOOSH!. About the third time I looked down and I was using the gas can and it had a flame flickering at the spout. Slapped my glove on it, retired to the truck for a cup of coffee while my nerves recovered.

Diesel is now in a yellow can (as it should have been then).

Harry K

Years ago we laughed at my uncle that had painted "garbage" on his
garbage can.

I guess we would laugh today if he painted "gas" on his gas can