Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about my Maytag 8000BTU A/C

Good golly it is hot!!!!

Having said that, I am concerned that my 2-year-old Maytag 8000BTU A/C
should be doing a better job than it is.

I have it in my 12' X 18' so-called sun-room. The blinds are all
shut. We were away for several days, and of course the room was quite
hot when we returned.

I put the A/C on High Cool, but after some 3 hours the room temp is
still some 84 degrees. I put a reefer thermometer in the outlet of
the unit, and it reads about 65 degrees at the lowest. No wonder the
room stays hot. Shouldn't the 65 degree-reading be lower - say, 50-55
at least?

I do hear the compressor cycling.

What does anyone think?

Thanks

Jethro
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
Good golly it is hot!!!!

Having said that, I am concerned that my 2-year-old Maytag 8000BTU A/C
should be doing a better job than it is.

I have it in my 12' X 18' so-called sun-room. The blinds are all
shut. We were away for several days, and of course the room was quite
hot when we returned.

I put the A/C on High Cool, but after some 3 hours the room temp is
still some 84 degrees. I put a reefer thermometer in the outlet of
the unit, and it reads about 65 degrees at the lowest. No wonder the
room stays hot. Shouldn't the 65 degree-reading be lower - say, 50-55
at least?

I do hear the compressor cycling.

What does anyone think?

Thanks

Jethro

Hi,

JMO!

Give it 24 hours.
Approx 15-20 difference between the air temp in and the air temp out is
normal for the 8,000 BTU unit.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Aug 2006 11:21:29 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

Jethro wrote:
[...]

I feel better now - even if I am hot.

Thanks for reply

Jethro
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jethro" wrote in message .
Good golly it is hot!!!!

Having said that, I am concerned that my 2-year-old Maytag 8000BTU A/C
should be doing a better job than it is.

I put the A/C on High Cool, but after some 3 hours the room temp is
still some 84 degrees. I put a reefer thermometer in the outlet of
the unit, and it reads about 65 degrees at the lowest. No wonder the
room stays hot. Shouldn't the 65 degree-reading be lower - say, 50-55
at least?

I do hear the compressor cycling.

What is the outdoor temperature? A 20 degree drop over the coils is about
right. With the recent very high temperature we've been having in most of
hte US, you won't get the same cooking you got last year when the outdoor
temperature was 15 to 25 degree less.

My question though, is the compressor cycling. Do you mean it turns off
and on? Seems to me at 84 degrees, it should stay on for some time. Is
the filter clean? Coils clean?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:

Having said that, I am concerned that my 2-year-old Maytag 8000BTU A/C
should be doing a better job than it is.

I have it in my 12' X 18' so-called sun-room. The blinds are all
shut. We were away for several days, and of course the room was quite
hot when we returned.

I put the A/C on High Cool, but after some 3 hours the room temp is
still some 84 degrees. I put a reefer thermometer in the outlet of
the unit, and it reads about 65 degrees at the lowest. No wonder the
room stays hot. Shouldn't the 65 degree-reading be lower - say, 50-55
at least?

I do hear the compressor cycling. What does anyone think?
Thanks, Jethro

Room units usually have two or three fan speeds.
Does it feel humid in your home?
Try medium speed for several hours for a cooler cooling coil.
If you have acute humidity problems, try low speed for a umber of hours.

Buy a thermometer that also reads percent of humidity and try for 50% or
less!

After things cool down:
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Well, I measure temperatures a lot (retired engineer). Both of my cars' A/Cs
(R12 units) put out 42-45 degree air when they are recirculating on medium fan
speed, about 49-50 degrees when flowing through at 80 F outside.

My Hampton Bay (Home Depot) 5,000 btu window unit in the bedroom puts out 45-47
degree air with the temperature controller set at around 72 degrees and cycling
on and off.

My new 12,000 btu mini-split puts out about 50 degree air if the room is warmer
(76-77), and finally gets down to 46 degree output when it is controlling the
room at 74-75. I'm measuring it right now, as a matter of fact.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:43:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message .
[...]

Thanks for response.

It was 100 degrees here yesterday, which is quite high.
No, it was not cycling much if at all. I can set the threshold to
make it cycle. Yes the filter is clean as are the coils. I checked.

It just surprised me that the temp of the air coming from the thing
was as high as it was. My RV's roof A/C, for example, puts out air so
cold that it has a 'bite'. Much less than 65 degrees. Same is true
of both of my auto A/C's.

This AM, the ambient air outside is in the 80's. I want to see how it
behaves this morning (it was off overnight).

Jethro
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Dennis,
I'm finding that engineers may cease their day job, but they never
really retire. One (retired) engineer friend of mine came to my place
one time to help with the brakes on my truck. At one point we snapped
off a bolt. So, he pulls a multi function calculator out of his
pocket, and proceeds to calculate the size of the drill needed to tap
for threads.
A retirement home full of engineers would be an interesting
experience. Imagine the food service workers, being told that their
food wasn't hot enough, and a report with three signifigant figure
data to back it up?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"DT" wrote in message
Well, I measure temperatures a lot (retired engineer). Both of my
cars' A/Cs
(R12 units) put out 42-45 degree air when they are recirculating on
medium fan
speed, about 49-50 degrees when flowing through at 80 F outside.

My Hampton Bay (Home Depot) 5,000 btu window unit in the bedroom puts
out 45-47
degree air with the temperature controller set at around 72 degrees
and cycling
on and off.

My new 12,000 btu mini-split puts out about 50 degree air if the room
is warmer
(76-77), and finally gets down to 46 degree output when it is
controlling the
room at 74-75. I'm measuring it right now, as a matter of fact.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...

Dear Dennis,
I'm finding that engineers may cease their day job, but they never
really retire. One (retired) engineer friend of mine came to my place
one time to help with the brakes on my truck. At one point we snapped
off a bolt. So, he pulls a multi function calculator out of his
pocket, and proceeds to calculate the size of the drill needed to tap
for threads.
A retirement home full of engineers would be an interesting
experience. Imagine the food service workers, being told that their
food wasn't hot enough, and a report with three signifigant figure
data to back it up?

Hah! I think you are right, Stormin! Now, the question I ponder: do we think
that way because we are engineers, or do we become engineers because we think
that way to begin with?

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jethro" wrote in message

It just surprised me that the temp of the air coming from the thing
was as high as it was. My RV's roof A/C, for example, puts out air so
cold that it has a 'bite'. Much less than 65 degrees. Same is true
of both of my auto A/C's.

This AM, the ambient air outside is in the 80's. I want to see how it
behaves this morning (it was off overnight).

This shows what a central unit air temperature should be. I don't know about
a room unit.
http://www.baumbach.com/Plumbing/ACTips.htm

I do know that the auto AC is very high capacity and the leaving air
temperature is lower than a residential unit.

You may do better overall leaving hte AC on overnight too. The solar heat
gain may be more than the capacity so running at night reduces the sensible
heat to start out the next day.

Need help for Maytag Washer and Dryer (Model #MAV5920EWW, # MDE4806AZW) [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 December 16th 05 02:34 AM
Trivia question old Maytag washing machine MikeremlaP Home Repair 1 January 26th 05 06:04 AM
Maytag two-belt washer question Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 3 December 31st 04 12:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Maytag or Whirlpool front load washers Art Begun Home Repair 2 September 3rd 03 04:31 PM