Edwin Pawlowski

Default Maytag two-belt washer question

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
Almost done getting my LA512 shipshape and installed. Just a question
about
belts now. I'm going to replace them, but I noticed a place that said to
only
use genuine Maytag belts. Any particular reason besides company profits?
Unless
they have some kind of special formulation (a la Kevlar-jacketed like some
variable transmissions use), a Gates or KS of the same length, width, and
profile depth should be just fine.

GTO(John)

Any good brand of belt should work. If it was a power take off from a
turbine on a Boeing 747, I'd take the precaution. The Maytag pump is not a
particularly critical application.

Appliance Repair Aid

GTO69RA4 wrote:
Almost done getting my LA512 shipshape and installed. Just a question

about
belts now. I'm going to replace them, but I noticed a place that said

to only
use genuine Maytag belts. Any particular reason besides company

profits? Unless
they have some kind of special formulation (a la Kevlar-jacketed like

some
variable transmissions use), a Gates or KS of the same length, width,

and
profile depth should be just fine.

GTO(John)

Hi,

a Gates or KS of the same length, width, and
profile depth should be just fine.

Not unless you enjoy replacing the motor!!

The Maytag belts are cloth and they slip and act like a clutch when the
washer is running....esp in the spin/drain mode! Regular rubber belts
will grab too quickly and kill the motor.

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...gpumpbelt.html
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...aydrivbel.html
Drive and pump belts.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

GTO69RA4

Sorry if this doesn't appear in the thread, my newsreader didn't pick up
anything for a couple days.

All right, so the Maytag belt is a cloth jacket belt so it can slip. In there
anything special about it? It looks like a normal cloth belt to me, no more
clothier than the average one. Off-the-shelf belts can be bought in either
cloth jacket or open (rubber) side.

GTO(John)
Appliance Repair Aid

G'day,

GTO69RA4 wrote:
Sorry if this doesn't appear in the thread, my newsreader didn't pick

up
anything for a couple days.

All right, so the Maytag belt is a cloth jacket belt so it can slip.

In there
anything special about it?

The cloth part is special. Other than that you will have to ask Maytag
if they have any other special goobers in there!!

It looks like a normal cloth belt to me, no more
clothier than the average one. Off-the-shelf belts can be bought in

either
cloth jacket or open (rubber) side.

GTO(John)

Good luck with the repair!!