west

Default I bought a Neptune Washer

I bought a Neptune Washer Jan 01 in Ft. Collins CO at an authorized
Maytag Dealer (the only product they sell). I was willing to pay over
$1200 (for just a washer) in order to have a machine that would be
worry free from maintenance issues for at least seven years (after
buying the extended service warranty that is) and was more than
guaranteed by the salesperson this washer would WASH those ever large
comforters (the only reason I would even consider a washer ever being
worth this type of money).

Well it does not wash comforters any better than the $300 model and it
tends to tear holes in the fabric as well. As the salesperson stated
"if you can get it in the machine and shut the door, it will clean
it", I think they should have said, it will shred it. smile

It has proved to me that home models are not up to laundry mat
capacity yet, even though they would like to make you think so, in
order to charge the big bucks.

The biggest issue I have had with Maytag is when it comes to service.
The friendly guy whose is always asleep at the office because they
have so few failures, is probably asleep, because they have so few
customers.

November 2003:

The very week I called my extended warranty service contract number to
arrange to have the rubber gasket replaced on my beautiful worry free
Neptune washer (this is the gasket between the door and the drum,
which had totally separated into cracks along the whole rubber seal)
happened to be the very same day I called Sears to repair an
electrical wiring issue on my brand new Sears convection cook top
range. I have an extended service warranty package with Sears as well.

The Sears Warranty department scheduled to be out to get my stove
fixed in about three days. After hanging up with them, I called Maytag
to get an appointment for my washer. Their spiel was first: this
gasket defect was not an extended service warranty issue, that it fact
it was a manufacturers defect and the Maytag manufacturing company
direct, would have to fix it, but they would be happy to quickly
transfer me there, did so, and hung up. As you guess, Maytag Company,
said oh the manufacturer's warranty has expired, so you will need to
call them back at the number you started out first at. Getting the big
picture?

So I called the Extended Warranty Service people back and they were
trying to get me to go through the big loop again, until I said no,
you are going to take care of this problem and you are going to stay
on line with me while it is being done. After being put on hold a
couple of times, no one seemed to be able to figure out, who was going
to get stuck with this bill, but kept trying to pass the problem off
on someone else. Getting the even bigger picture?

Finally the Extended Service Warranty person said, he had made
arrangements with my local Maytag Store, you know the store I spent
the $1200 at, to come out an install my gasket after they mail it to
me. When the gasket arrives, their will be a number to call inside,
just call it and they will come out and put it on for you.

Well that gasket arrived, and guess what, there was no number in the
package to call to get it installed. Surprised, not really.

I called my local Maytag store, and told him the Extended Service
Warranty group said he would be the one to install the gasket and he
said, oh we only come out to your area once a week, and we have
already missed your day. How about next Friday, that would be another
week a way. Let's see, I have already been without a washer (totally
now for two weeks, what is one more week).

Well folks, guess what, today is that next Friday, and guess who
called. Yep, my friendly Maytag repairman. His ONE and only repairman
came down with the flu (the day after Thanksgiving), and he just won't
be able to make it out.

No apology that I have been without a washer for three weeks now, but
he did offer TO MAKE AN EXCEPTION and come out to my area before their
normal Fridays for this area. He said you know my repairman is open
all next week, pick a date. I said that will be fine, the only day I
would not would be available would be on Wednesday. He then suggests,
oh well then, why don't we just make it next Friday anyway. Really?
Lets see that makes 4 weeks without a washer. I don't know how much
dirty laundry you have by then, but we are talking about wearing those
shorts one more time inside out. smile

As for Sears, they came out in the three days they said they would,
fixed my beautiful Frigidaire stove the very day they came out, and it
didn't cost me a buck.

I called, they came, they delivered! I am a happy camper!

As for Maytag, the laundry is still piling up, along with all bull****
to get them to do their job.

If you want service, go to Sears. If you want a hassle, go to Maytag.

Washerlessincolorado
QVR

Washerlessincolorado

You should of had Sears fix the maxhine for you, they work on them.

Bill
QVR

Washerlessincolorado

You should of had Sears fix the maxhine for you, they work on them.

Bill
Ken G.

I would have just put the gasket on myself
I have no faith in any new product . I get one with the fact in mind it
will break down at any moment no matter what it costed .

Ken G.

I would have just put the gasket on myself
I have no faith in any new product . I get one with the fact in mind it
will break down at any moment no matter what it costed .

LASERandDVDfan

You should've bought a Whirlpool, Roper, or a KitchenAid. The front load
washers have the advantage of using less water, but they might not clean as
effectively as a top load. As for a washer that is gentle, you should've
gotten the Whirlpool with the Calypso agitator. Kenmore has models of washers
that were OEMed by Whirlpool.

Fortunately, you didn't buy a GE or a Hotpoint.

Of course, if you REALLY wanted to get an upscale quality washer, you should
have gotten a Fisher & Paykel. One neat thing about these things is that they
employ a direct drive system as opposed to using a transmission for the
agitation and spin cycles. A far simpler design which also appears very solid.

However, there are only select dealers that sell Fisher & Paykel.

www.fisherpaykel.com - Reinhart

Jerry G.

The next time you are going to purchase a new washer and dryer, take a
serious look at the Whirlpool, and Kitchenade. These are very good. I am
hearing many complaints these days with the Maytag products. Their stoves
and fridges are now their strong point. They bought a few high end
appliance companies that make stoves and fridges, and I think this is the
reason for their improvements.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"west" wrote in message
om...
[...]

William R. Walsh

Hi!

I've never been a big fan of new washers...they seem a lot cheaper than many
older machines that are still working away today.

If you want a washer that will wash for almost forever, find an older
(1970s, 80s) Maytag machine. Pretty much all you ever have to do is replace
the belt every now and then...and those old machines will go on forever.

William

Bob Shuman

Thanks for the info. We are in the market now and looking to replace our
13.5 year old Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) Series 90 (Now roughly equal to
Elite model). We looked at the Maytag Neptune, but the wife said the front
plastic controls felt "cheap". Since the washer knob had broken twice from
wear on the Kenmore, she refused to consider the Neptune. She said the
quality looked inferior.

We are leaning toward another Kenmore or Whirlpool. I looked at the
Calypso, but was concerned that it employed the "electronic" controls
instead of the simpler electro-mechanical system. I figured a laundry room
is a fairly harsh environment and also am afraid of voltage
spikes/transients knocking out the microprocessor and PSU boards.

Bob

"west" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Richard Steinfeld

Regarding Sears/Whirlpool washers:

- I bought a Sears washer a few years ago. The timer failed
prematurely.
- I helped my late bench technician put his Sears washer
back together. I felt that the product was flimsy. The steel
shell is so thin that I dented the metal with my thumb.
Getting the parts aligned and back together was agony for
two people.
- In a nearby city, there's a guy who makes a good living
selling -only- old Whirlpool/Sears washers. He says that he
won't deal with any made after about 10 years ago due to
cheapened merchandise.
- The same friend had owned an Amana, which had appeared to
be a nice machine. However, he had to throw it out due to
some unfixable problem regarding flimsy parts in the frame.
Amana has been aqcuired, you know, as in "Famous Brand,
Maychip home applicances group, a member of the Upchuck
family of companies, division of BigCorp, HugeCorp
International. I think that we're down to only two companies
that make appliances now.

Ironically, my best luck ever with a washing machine was a
Japanese apartment washer sold by JC Penny. It ran daily for
almost 20 years, only needing two minor repairs. These
machines use a small, low, gently-nubbed impeller that
whirls at high speed. The idea is to get the water turning
rather than mash the clothing around. The result is that my
clothing lasted a whole lot longer than with the Sears
contraption that I now have.

I still need a timer -- it is limping along, occasionally
it's little plastic parts sticking on "fill." When this
thing gets me angry enough, I'm going to see if I can find a
simple Korean washer like the Japanese one that I used to
have. Clothing is expensive.

Richard

"Bob Shuman" wrote in
message ...
[...]

"west" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rick

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message ...
Amana has been aqcuired, you know, as in "Famous Brand,
Maychip home applicances group, a member of the Upchuck
family of companies, division of BigCorp, HugeCorp
International. I think that we're down to only two companies
that make appliances now.

Didn't you know? HugeCorp International was acquired last
year by MegaHuge Global. Now there's only one manufacturer.

If we want affordable, well designed and well built washing
machines, we should do what we did with automobiles. Let the
Japanese handle it.

Rick

jakdedert

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
You should've bought a Whirlpool, Roper, or a KitchenAid. The front load
washers have the advantage of using less water, but they might not clean

as
effectively as a top load. As for a washer that is gentle, you should've
gotten the Whirlpool with the Calypso agitator. Kenmore has models of

washers
that were OEMed by Whirlpool.

Fortunately, you didn't buy a GE or a Hotpoint.

....or a Frigidaire. Those things are the worst, based on personal
experience, and everything I've heard. I had a pair (washer/dryer) and the
when the washer went down, I bought an old Kenmore which is still chugging.
When the dryer went out, I tried to fix it, but it was such a total POS,
that parts would have cost me more than it was worth. The rollers which
carry the drum would not line up with the track upon which they were to run
(due to cabinet misalignment? I never really figured it out) and would chew
themselves up. The rollers were around $15 apiece and there were at least
half a dozen of them. When I bought a reconditioned Kenmore ($175) from a
shop which goes through them and replaces the commonly worn bits, they
wouldn't take the Frigidaire, even for parts. That was four or five years
ago...I've had to replace the door switch once....

jak