Appliance Repair Aid

GTO69RA4 wrote:
Almost done getting my LA512 shipshape and installed. Just a question

about
belts now. I'm going to replace them, but I noticed a place that said

to only
use genuine Maytag belts. Any particular reason besides company

profits? Unless
they have some kind of special formulation (a la Kevlar-jacketed like

some
variable transmissions use), a Gates or KS of the same length, width,

and
profile depth should be just fine.

GTO(John)

Hi,

a Gates or KS of the same length, width, and
profile depth should be just fine.

Not unless you enjoy replacing the motor!!

The Maytag belts are cloth and they slip and act like a clutch when the
washer is running....esp in the spin/drain mode! Regular rubber belts
will grab too quickly and kill the motor.

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...gpumpbelt.html
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...aydrivbel.html
Drive and pump belts.
jeff.