Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about my Maytag 8000BTU A/C

"Jethro" wrote in message .
Good golly it is hot!!!!

Having said that, I am concerned that my 2-year-old Maytag 8000BTU A/C
should be doing a better job than it is.

I put the A/C on High Cool, but after some 3 hours the room temp is
still some 84 degrees. I put a reefer thermometer in the outlet of
the unit, and it reads about 65 degrees at the lowest. No wonder the
room stays hot. Shouldn't the 65 degree-reading be lower - say, 50-55
at least?

I do hear the compressor cycling.

What is the outdoor temperature? A 20 degree drop over the coils is about
right. With the recent very high temperature we've been having in most of
hte US, you won't get the same cooking you got last year when the outdoor
temperature was 15 to 25 degree less.

My question though, is the compressor cycling. Do you mean it turns off
and on? Seems to me at 84 degrees, it should stay on for some time. Is
the filter clean? Coils clean?