Art Begun

Default Maytag or Whirlpool front load washers

We've owned a Maytag Neptune front loader for about 6 years. Recently
we had the free mildew fix which included a new front seal with
drainage, new control board and new inner door. It made a fine washer
better. We've had no significant problems with the machine and just
bought an extended 3 year warranty for $330 from Maytag. I thought
that was a darn good deal on a 6+ year old machine.

Anyway we are going to give that machine to the parents who are moving
to the area and decided to buy the new Kenmore (Whirpool) HE3 washer
top rated by Consumer Reports. We've had that for a few days worth.
Enuf to give opinion of which is better.

Pretty much a draw so far. Kenmore is slightly bigger which is nice
if you want to wash a thickly filled king comforter though it still
really doesn't fit without a big squeeze. It is quieter than the
Maytag except when high speed spinning. Then it goes nuts. Tried
leveling and tighening wheels with no improvement. Will try plywood
underneath as suggested by instructions next. It weighs a ton. The
access is far less convenient then the Maytag. It seems to rinse
better. Controls are more complicated than our early Neptune. The
Kenmore clear door is fun but there is no light which is a nice
feature on Maytag when unloading. I believe it has a transmission so
I suspect it will be more complicated and expensive to fix then the
Maytag.

JTM

Default Q Maytag or Whirlpool front load washers

"Art Begun" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Is there a question? Perhaps the going nuts bit? I would hardly fault it for
becoming imbalanced over a water logged comforter that weighs a "ton".

As to the deal on the extended warranty, they are always a bad deal. If you read
Consumers Reports on a regular basis you would see regular comments about this.
The gist is that the purveyors of this snake oil have excellent data as to the
frequency of repair so they know exactly what the probable costs will be--you
don't have this information so you are guessing as to the benefit. Typically
they double the actual cost and stack on additional incentives to the sales
types to promote the extended warranties. Average life for washers and other
major appliances is in the 14+ year range. My Whir[l]pool set is over 20 years
and has never had a repair same for the refrigerator. Knock wood. So lets see I
put 330$ aside every three years and well within the probable life of the
appliance I can just get the latest and greatest replacement with all the
improvements and greater efficiencies that will likely be available when the old
ones bite the dust and go to that final resting place at the dump.

Regards,

John

Art Begun

Normally I don't buy service agreements either but Consumer Reports
says the Maytag gives people problems although we haven't had any.
Our last Whirlpool top loader (direct drive) lost its transmission in
year 5 with only 2 family members. Something expensive is likely to
break on the Maytag by year 9. Normally manufacturers don't give you
a good price on a service agreement for a 6 year old washer.

The new Whirlpool vibrates dramatically at its highest spin rate no
matter what the load.

"JTM" wrote in message

hlink.net...