MikeremlaP

Default Trivia question old Maytag washing machine

Have a model A606 Maytag washing machine, with a two part outer tub. While
trying to shotgun a leak, I replaced the rubber triangular gasket that is held
in place by a very large metal band.

I've since fixed the leak (it was the tub seal), but should have looked closer
at the how the triangle gasket came out. There's a groove on one side of the
gasket. Anyone know which side of things the groove should go? Should I be
using adhesive, or is this an interference fit, catching the lip of the bottom
tub with the metal band?

Also, any trick to adjusting the height of the top section? If you push it all
the way down, which seems the intuitive thing to do, it will drag on the top of
the in inner tub, preventing it from spinning. If you pull the upper section
up too high, there doesn't seem to be enough interference between tub sections
to prevent leaking. Maytag did most everything right on this model, but why
they put the split so low, where there's water, is beyond me.

Thanks,

Mike Palmer
Excellence in Ergonomics
Brad Behm

Hi Mike,

It's been a few years, but I'm almost certain the groove goes up against
the tub...I believe the lip on the lower half of the outer tub fits into the
groove on the rubber ring. The metal retaining ring doesn't actually touch
the tub at all. It just compresses the rubber sealing ring and insures a
leakproof seal. No adhesive is necessary but be sure to clean the sealing
surfaces first to prevent leakage. As far as adjusting the height...you
want the gap between the inner and outer tubs to be as narrow as possible
without actually touching (helps keep articles of clothing from going over
the top or getting trapped in there). You'll have to simulate spin wobble
by grabbing the agitator and moving it around to be sure the inner and outer
tubs don't touch. Don't worry too much about getting the height
"perfect"...it isn't THAT critical as long as nothing rubs.
Congrats on the tub seal job. That's probably the most involved procedure
short of a transmission rebuild you cna undertake on those old Maytags.
Sounds like you'll be keeping this one for a long time to come. They're
great machines!

Hope this helps
Brad in Bend OR