Eugene

Default GE Washing Machine Drum Removal Question

Hi. I have an old GE Heavy Duty washing machine that has started to
"walk". Having checked most of the obvious things, I wish to remove
the drum to see if I can find the cause of this. There seems to be no
obvious, or easy way, to remove the drum. I have removed the agitator.
My Readers Digest repair books can't help with this. Thanks for any
help.
Mad Mac

Eugene wrote:

Hi. I have an old GE Heavy Duty washing machine that has started to
"walk". Having checked most of the obvious things, I wish to remove
the drum to see if I can find the cause of this. There seems to be no
obvious, or easy way, to remove the drum. I have removed the agitator.
My Readers Digest repair books can't help with this. Thanks for any
help.

Steel or plastic "drum"?
Mad Mac

jeff wrote:

Unplug washer. Remove agitator from washer by pulling straight up on
it, some agitators have a bolt under the cap, remove cap and look for
a bolt first. Remove the agitator bearing from transmission hub. Get
top up by pressing on 2 clips located about 6 in in from side between
top and cabinet. Putty knife or flat blade screwdriver works well
here. Take the filter flow tube off. Lift top. Remove three bolts
holding basket to hub. Lift basket out of washer.

Just to add my usual cautionary note re this, use ONLY A ***12 POINT***
1/2" SOCKET ON THESE BOLTS. Nothing else will work.
Stormin Mormon

When a washing machine vibrates, or moves under its oown power, the first
thing I think "is it level". Washing machines are incredibly sensetive to
being level. Don't just eye ball it, get a bubble level, and be sure.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eugene" wrote in message
m...
Hi. I have an old GE Heavy Duty washing machine that has started to
"walk". Having checked most of the obvious things, I wish to remove
the drum to see if I can find the cause of this. There seems to be no
obvious, or easy way, to remove the drum. I have removed the agitator.
My Readers Digest repair books can't help with this. Thanks for any
help.

Eugene

Mad Mac wrote in message ...
Eugene wrote:

Hi. I have an old GE Heavy Duty washing machine that has started to
"walk". Having checked most of the obvious things, I wish to remove
the drum to see if I can find the cause of this. There seems to be no
obvious, or easy way, to remove the drum. I have removed the agitator.
My Readers Digest repair books can't help with this. Thanks for any
help.

Steel or plastic "drum"?

Thanks for reading. It is a steel drum.
Mad Mac

Eugene wrote:

Thanks for reading. It is a steel drum.

OK, follow the directions Jeff gave, and use a 12 POINT 1/2" socket to
remove the bolts.
jeff

Mad Mac wrote in message ...
Mad Mac wrote:

and use a 12 POINT 1/2" socket to
remove the bolts.

True enough, forgot about those...thankx for the reminder!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM
Ariston Washing Machine Steve 2E0NSP Electronics Repair 8 July 14th 04 10:26 AM
Washing machine drums? Tom UK diy 8 May 9th 04 11:35 PM
short washing machine drain hose Kerry Hoskin UK diy 14 January 26th 04 05:50 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM