MikeremlaP

Default Trivia question old Maytag washing machine

Have a model A606 Maytag washing machine, with a two part outer tub. While
trying to shotgun a leak, I replaced the rubber triangular gasket that is held
in place by a very large metal band.

I've since fixed the leak (it was the tub seal), but should have looked closer
at the how the triangle gasket came out. There's a groove on one side of the
gasket. Anyone know which side of things the groove should go? Should I be
using adhesive, or is this an interference fit, catching the lip of the bottom
tub with the metal band?

Also, any trick to adjusting the height of the top section? If you push it all
the way down, which seems the intuitive thing to do, it will drag on the top of
the in inner tub, preventing it from spinning. If you pull the upper section
up too high, there doesn't seem to be enough interference between tub sections
to prevent leaking. Maytag did most everything right on this model, but why
they put the split so low, where there's water, is beyond me.

Thanks,

Mike Palmer
Excellence in Ergonomics