Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Poision ivy update.

I posted earlier with that hillside of poision ivy. Earlier I had tried
round up and at another time special poision ivy killer. Both stunted
the growth a bit but then it came back stronger than ever

I am HIGHLY ALLERGIC and dare not touch it!

Well a nice poster here suggested mixing broadleaf weed killer and
round up together....

It was worth a try I mixed concentrated poision ivy killer and round up
in spray bottle.

Actually diluted the poision ivy killer a little with round up rather
than water. Sprayed as best I could the big plants.

Next morning they looked stunted a little, while anything close by that
had been sprayed by accident was curled up dead.

So I sprayed the poision ivy again for good measure..

I ALMOST feel bad for the poision ivy, its really dying, and appears
to be killing the entire plant. No doubt some will survive, thats what
the spray is for......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
I posted earlier with that hillside of poision ivy. Earlier I had tried
round up and at another time special poision ivy killer. Both stunted
the growth a bit but then it came back stronger than ever

I am HIGHLY ALLERGIC and dare not touch it!

so am i. if and when you finally kill it, please get someone else
to remove it and don't be in the area. Even if it is burned.
BTDT.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

My poorly informed neighbor said

Once its dead you can pull it

It remains toxic for at least a year, and NEVER BURN, as you can get
poision ivy of the lungs, that can kill

Once it looks really dead I will hiresomeone brave to pull it. So far a
non allergic friend volunteered for some $$$

the combo realkly did the job.... stopped it dead

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Jul 2006 14:24:17 -0700, "
wrote:

I posted earlier with that hillside of poision ivy. Earlier I had tried

snip
the spray is for......

Poison ivy is tough to kill with a single application of Round Up,
especially if it is established. Mix it in a spray container a little
stronger than what the label says and wet all the green leaves. Be
careful not to get the spray on plant leaves you want to keep. It is
okay to get Round Up on the ground--it won't hurt trees unless you get
it on the leaves. Wait 10 days after the first application, and spray
the poison ivy again. Repeat every 10 days. After three applications
to the same plant it should die. Do not pull the roots or handle the
dead leaves. Weed killer products may contaminate soils, Round Up is
much safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
To the posters saying they mixed X ounces of roundup, roundup full
strength, etc. Roundup comes in a wide variety of concentrations.
Unless you specify what the % of what you mixed was, it's meaningless.
A better way of expressing it is in terms of what the final solution
as applied was.

41 percent Roundup concentrate:

mix 3.5 oz. of the 41 percent with 1 gallon of water and 3.5 oz. of
Crossbow

(Crossbow is 2,4-D, butoxyethanol ester 34.4 % and Triclopyr,
butoxyethyl ester 16.5 %)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Jul 2006 14:24:17 -0700, "
wrote:

I posted earlier with that hillside of poision ivy. Earlier I had tried
round up and at another time special poision ivy killer. Both stunted
the growth a bit but then it came back stronger than ever

DON'T MESS WITH ME.

I am HIGHLY ALLERGIC and dare not touch it!

Well a nice poster here suggested mixing broadleaf weed killer and
round up together....

It was worth a try I mixed concentrated poision ivy killer and round up
in spray bottle.

Actually diluted the poision ivy killer a little with round up rather
than water. Sprayed as best I could the big plants.

Next morning they looked stunted a little, while anything close by that
had been sprayed by accident was curled up dead.

So I sprayed the poision ivy again for good measure..

I ALMOST feel bad for the poision ivy, its really dying, and appears

ALMOST is not good enough. But I don't need your phony sympathy. I
have more stamina in one leaf than you have in your whole body.

to be killing the entire plant. No doubt some will survive, thats what

DARN RIGHT I WILL. DON'T MESS WITH ME!

the spray is for......

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Does concentrated Round-up weaken and go bad as quickly as the stuff
sold for immediate application?

A 4-oz. bottle came included with something else I wanted to buy, but
in order to mix it, I want to put on gloves and long pants (do I need
that?) and so it's been more than a year and I've never gotten around
to doing it.

I"m thinking it might have been cheaper in the long run to buy it
already diluted.

I buy it in 2.5 gallon bottles, which last me (usually, sometimes not)
two years. Never had a problem. The concentrate is much cheaper than
the pre-mix, but I buy at Ag Chem stores, not the local supermarket.
They do sell in the 41 percent in quart containers, but not sure if it
goes any smaller.

The label precautions on all of it, the pre-mix and the concentrate,
tell you how you should handle the chemical. Whether you choose to
follow said directions is up to you.

I know people who wear Nitrile gauntlets, rain pants, rubber boots, etc
when they apply herbicide. I know a couple who wear shorts and sandals.
Your decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 14:24:17 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Gey poision your on your way out, just looked your looking pretty ill,
death to poision!!!

my original attempt used pre mixed roundup in the spray bottle, it did
little///\\\\\\

poision above got lulled into a false sense of security... tonight he
is off dying somewhere

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Jul 2006 14:24:17 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Might be repeating information already given, but just in case. The
'allergen' on poison ivory, is very 'stable'. Meaning it sticks
around after the plant is dead for a long time. So becareful, and
protect yourself.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. Weed killer products may contaminate soils, Round Up is
much safer.

broadleaf weed controls work thru the leaves only..

my concotion was a premix spray bottle of roundup, mixed with straight
poision ivy klller undiluated except in roundup. i had removed some of
the roundup to make space for poision ivy killer, something in a green
plastic container.

poision ivy looks really bad...

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Tom The Great wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 14:24:17 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Years. You hear about families where the dog got some on his fur, then
at home he smeared it on the walls at dog height, then years later they
have a kid, and when the kid starts crawling he contacts the poison ivy
on the walls, and they spend weeks trying to figure out where he is
getting a rash from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Jul 2006 18:21:23 -0700, "z" wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 14:24:17 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Years???!!!!!

That is a long time.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

mm wrote:

Does concentrated Round-up weaken and go bad as quickly as the stuff
sold for immediate application?

I have been using Roundup for many, many years and here's my
experience:
Roundup, as it comes in the container you buy, will last 2-3 years
before it starts to weaken. However, once you dilute it to specs for
spraying, it is only good for 2-3 days.

The original Roundup was a great product, but it had to be mixed with a
surfactant (soap) to get it to stick to the leaves. Mixing reduced the
use time to 2-3 days. Then Roundup decided to add the surfactant at
the factory (Roundup Ultra) (Increased price). But it didn't work
nearly as good as the original product because of the mix. So they had
to increase the strength to make it last longer (another price
increase). I now buy a generic brand because it's cheaper and works
better than Roundup.

A 4-oz. bottle came included with something else I wanted to buy, but
in order to mix it, I want to put on gloves and long pants (do I need
that?) and so it's been more than a year and I've never gotten around
to doing it.

The ingredient in Roundup is little/no toxic to humans. I even had a
salesman tell me you could drink it with no ill effects (but how many
people believe salesmen?). The standard used to measure toxicity is
table salt. Roundup is less toxic than salt. HOWEVER, always follow
the manufacturers directions.

I"m thinking it might have been cheaper in the long run to buy it
already diluted.

Depends on how much you use and how fast you use it.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Jul 2006 11:12:54 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

mm wrote:

Does concentrated Round-up weaken and go bad as quickly as the stuff
sold for immediate application?

I have been using Roundup for many, many years and here's my
experience:
Roundup, as it comes in the container you buy, will last 2-3 years
before it starts to weaken. However, once you dilute it to specs for
spraying, it is only good for 2-3 days.

This is just what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming. So at
least I wasn't an idiot for not mixing the stuff up when I only had a
few minutes to go spraying.

The original Roundup was a great product, but it had to be mixed with a
surfactant (soap) to get it to stick to the leaves. Mixing reduced the
use time to 2-3 days. Then Roundup decided to add the surfactant at
the factory (Roundup Ultra) (Increased price). But it didn't work
nearly as good as the original product because of the mix. So they had
to increase the strength to make it last longer (another price
increase). I now buy a generic brand because it's cheaper and works
better than Roundup.

I'll look for that next time.

A 4-oz. bottle came included with something else I wanted to buy, but
in order to mix it, I want to put on gloves and long pants (do I need
that?) and so it's been more than a year and I've never gotten around
to doing it.

The ingredient in Roundup is little/no toxic to humans. I even had a
salesman tell me you could drink it with no ill effects (but how many
people believe salesmen?). The standard used to measure toxicity is
table salt. Roundup is less toxic than salt. HOWEVER, always follow
the manufacturers directions.

To you and timbirr, I read the instructions and would have read them
again, but I just wanted some reassurance. Thank you both.

I"m thinking it might have been cheaper in the long run to buy it
already diluted.

Depends on how much you use and how fast you use it.

Yep.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[...]

Actually table salt is very bad for your landscaping. The only way to
rid the soil of table salt is to dilute it. On the other hand,
RoundUp breaks down when in contact with the soil--much safer than
table salt if you intent to landscape later. I know RoundUp contains
a surfactant, but you can increase the intensity of the RoundUp by
spraying the poison ivy with a soap solution (1 T of dishwashing
liquid in a 1 qt spray bottle of warm water). Allow this to dry, then
apply the RoundUp. I would never mix RoundUp (or any other product)
with another compound unless specified on the manufacturer's label. I
know that RoundUp specifies that it is "waterproof" after 2-3 hours,
but you'll get better results when there is no rain in the next 24
hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Phisherman wrote:

Actually table salt is very bad for your landscaping. The only way to
rid the soil of table salt is to dilute it. On the other hand,
RoundUp breaks down when in contact with the soil--much safer than
table salt if you intent to landscape later. I know RoundUp contains
a surfactant, but you can increase the intensity of the RoundUp by
spraying the poison ivy with a soap solution (1 T of dishwashing
liquid in a 1 qt spray bottle of warm water). Allow this to dry, then
apply the RoundUp. I would never mix RoundUp (or any other product)
with another compound unless specified on the manufacturer's label. I
know that RoundUp specifies that it is "waterproof" after 2-3 hours,
but you'll get better results when there is no rain in the next 24
hours.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. Toxicity
affecting the human body is measured with salt as the standard ("0" on
the reference chart). I did not mean to suggest that salt had anything
to do with landscaping.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Tom The Great wrote:

Years. You hear about families where the dog got some on his fur, then
at home he smeared it on the walls at dog height, then years later they
have a kid, and when the kid starts crawling he contacts the poison ivy
on the walls, and they spend weeks trying to figure out where he is
getting a rash from.

Years???!!!!!

That is a long time.

How about centuries! The Japanese used to make a lacquer from a plant
that is a 1st cousin to poison ivy. They would use the lacquer to
finish decorative wooden bowls. Centuries old bowls handled today can
still cause a poison ivy outbreak.

Speaking of 1st cousins to poison ivy, cashew nut plants fall into that
category.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

:good point about admiutting on the internet that i didnt follow label
directions, although the voume used was small and there are probably no
wells for miles, all the homes got city water when built in 1950,
besides it was just some spray on the leaves. probably less than a
quart.

i will try to post some pictures if i can figure out how. i think one
application has done it in.