Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas grill question

My gas grill is over 20 years old, I have rebuilrt it several times.
replaced burners, hoses, regulator, dissembled completely and ran
alunimum castings thru self clean cycle of gas stove, it came out like
new. I have kept it for sentimental reasons, it is one of the few
things of my moms, she died almost 9 years ago, plus it appears to do a
better job than current grills. mine uses lava rocks.

Now a friend bought a brand new grill and reported their old lava rock
one worked better, appeared hotter.

anyone know why the newer grill dont appear to work as good?

my friend is thinkingf of returning their new grill and fixing the old
one

my wife is pushing for a new grill and i dont want to buy a poor one

anyone have any knowledge about this? anyone still make a older style
lava rock grill?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

wrote in message
oups.com...
My gas grill is over 20 years old, I have rebuilrt it several times.
replaced burners, hoses, regulator, dissembled completely and ran
alunimum castings thru self clean cycle of gas stove, it came out like
new. I have kept it for sentimental reasons, it is one of the few
things of my moms, she died almost 9 years ago, plus it appears to do a
better job than current grills. mine uses lava rocks.

Now a friend bought a brand new grill and reported their old lava rock
one worked better, appeared hotter.

anyone know why the newer grill dont appear to work as good?

my friend is thinkingf of returning their new grill and fixing the old
one

my wife is pushing for a new grill and i dont want to buy a poor one

anyone have any knowledge about this? anyone still make a older style
lava rock grill?

Is there a difference in the grills? I thought it was just personal
preference rather than a difference in the grill?
You can buy replacement bags of lava rock, or the molded brick type at Wal
Mart. Use whichever you prefer.
It seem though that 1 bag is not enough, I need 1.5 to 2 bags.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

Speaking of gas grills, anyone in the market for a SS-type
owes it to themselves to check Sam's Club. Their selection
ranges from a smaller 3-burner portable to several "kitchen"
types with side cabinets. Their prices are much less than
Sears and all the SS grills I've seen at Sears and Sam's
Club seem to come out of the same factory. I simply cannot
understand how some of those "Barbecue" stores stay in
business with their grills costing 3-4 times as much.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Now a friend bought a brand new grill and reported their old lava rock
one worked better, appeared hotter.

anyone know why the newer grill dont appear to work as good?

my friend is thinkingf of returning their new grill and fixing the old
one

my wife is pushing for a new grill and i dont want to buy a poor one

anyone have any knowledge about this? anyone still make a older style
lava rock grill?

It takes more than lava rock to make a good or bad grill. It takes money
and engineering and quality materials. Chances are, your neighbor bought a
cheapie.

You can buy a grill for $99 or for $9000. If you want one to last you
another 20 years and perform well, plant to spend a very minimum of $500,
preferably close to $1000 to $1200. Don't buy it at the big discounters,
buy a reputable brand from a propane dealer or grill specialty company since
they carry the better brands. Weber is the old standby, but Vermont Casting
Signature series, MHP (modern Home Products) Broilmaster, Broil King,
Napoleon, and a few others are top notch.

Be sure to have a spare tank on hand also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

"Mark and Gloria Hagwood" wrote in message
Speaking of gas grills, anyone in the market for a SS-type owes it to
themselves to check Sam's Club. Their selection ranges from a smaller
3-burner portable to several "kitchen" types with side cabinets. Their
prices are much less than Sears and all the SS grills I've seen at Sears
and Sam's Club seem to come out of the same factory. I simply cannot
understand how some of those "Barbecue" stores stay in business with their
grills costing 3-4 times as much.

Mark

They must have special pricing for contractors at 50-75% off. Or they have
customers like my BIL thinking the more expensive the item the better the
product must be - he has deep pockets so money is not a factor. I'm
surprised there are so many people like that who doesn't even look at the
price tag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 5 tanks total, all the latest safety upgraded type.

I DONT like running out of gas!

Actually I had 2 tanks one a spare, then saw ones being tossed and
picked them up out of neighbors garbage, one was nearly full. at one
point I had 6, someone must of stolen it from my shed. it was full. now
i put the full ones on the front of the shelf to discourage theft. they
must of climbed the 6 foot fence, the yard is securee because of the
dogs. dogs probably tried to lick them to death....

People garbage the wierdest things the mostly full tank would of been
a hazard if it was put in the crushing truck/

One day I took them all in for exchange, they didnt charge extra for
the new style valve.so i am all updated.

I also have a propane bullet heater and some other stuff that uses the
same type tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

does anyone make a lava rock type grill today?

i havent seen any in the stores

If thinking of buying a STAINLESS GRILL take a magnet!

NON MAGNETIC STAINLESS is much better quality and will last longer.

magnetic stainless will still rust, although slower

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
You can buy a grill for $99 or for $9000. If you want one to last you
another 20 years and perform well, plant to spend a very minimum of $500,
preferably close to $1000 to $1200. Don't buy it at the big discounters,
buy a reputable brand from a propane dealer or grill specialty company

since
they carry the better brands. Weber is the old standby, but Vermont

Casting
Signature series, MHP (modern Home Products) Broilmaster, Broil King,
Napoleon, and a few others are top notch.

I've seen the Vermont Castings at Lowes... Also the Jenn-Air brand...
They're pretty good, but I figured that I could design my own and it would
be even better since I'm not worried about how much it might weigh during
shipping... Yeah, it weighs a ton, but it's not going anywhere...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Grumman-581 wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Most all of them have made in China part(s) in the box. Any how, I got
them off my Air Mile catalog. Mid quality ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Grumman-581" wrote in message

I've seen the Vermont Castings at Lowes... Also the Jenn-Air brand...

They have a better line sold by other outlets. They are a bit more heavy
duty. Used to be made in Canada when I bought mine, but I don't know if
they still are.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark and Gloria Hagwood" wrote in message

I simply cannot understand how some of those "Barbecue" stores stay in
business with their grills costing 3-4 times as much.

Service for one thing. My grill came fully assembled and was delivered right
up on my deck. Two guys struggled to get it up the steps as it is quite
heavy. Some of those higher priced grills are similar with larger markups,
others truly have better and more features. Also depends on whether you
want an Escort of a Jaguar. Many variations, sizes, quality levels and
models of grills.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

I'd also like to hear an "experts" opinion on steel heat
dissipators versus lava rock.

I suspect it will make little difference in taste with only real
charcoal having the unequalled taste advantage.

Perhaps the drippings burn differently (at a different rate) on a
steel dissipator compared to lava rock, imparting a different
flavour.

(Personally I buy a $200.00 barbecue every 4 years or so and use it
2-3 times a week all year. It would take 24 years for a $1200.00
barbeque to equal that payback)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Hogwild" wrote in message
. ..
I'd also like to hear an "experts" opinion on steel heat
dissipators versus lava rock.

I suspect it will make little difference in taste with only real
charcoal having the unequalled taste advantage.

Perhaps the drippings burn differently (at a different rate) on a
steel dissipator compared to lava rock, imparting a different
flavour.

They work as well or better since the plates can heat up faster. Yes, the
drippings give off some smoke and impart some flavor.

(Personally I buy a $200.00 barbecue every 4 years or so and use it
2-3 times a week all year. It would take 24 years for a $1200.00
barbeque to equal that payback)

Suite yourself. It is not cost payback, but convenience, features, quality
of the cooking that counts for many of us so we are willing to pay more to
get more. Just eliminating all the flareups is worth something. No
different than driving a low end Escort or a Caddy to work. They both will
get you to work. It's all about choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Since I won't be driving my barbeque to work, for me the value is in
the eating. Charcoal barbeques are cheap but deliver the best
flavour. I like cooking over an open fire also. It doesn't get any
cheaper.

I wasn't aware expensive barbeques eliminated flareups. How do they do
it and still maintain searing temperatures?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Hogwild" wrote in message

I wasn't aware expensive barbeques eliminated flareups. How do they do
it and still maintain searing temperatures?

Flareups come from accumulated grease drippings. If they are vaporized
quickly, they will not flare. Lava rock can absorb a lot of grease and then
it get going and can take a smoky long time to burn out.

Higher price grills have better heat distribution, better control, infra red
rotisserie burners, side burners, heavier grates, and on and on. Making a
hot dog for the kids it is a waste, but for fancier cooking, it makes a big
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
joe.henderson1@

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:52:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mark and Gloria Hagwood" wrote in message

I simply cannot understand how some of those "Barbecue" stores stay in
business with their grills costing 3-4 times as much.

Service for one thing. My grill came fully assembled and was delivered right
up on my deck. Two guys struggled to get it up the steps as it is quite
heavy. Some of those higher priced grills are similar with larger markups,
others truly have better and more features. Also depends on whether you
want an Escort of a Jaguar. Many variations, sizes, quality levels and
models of grills.

Only one grill...

www.kamado.com

Had mine for 6 months and man am i getting FAT!....

Posted to alt.home.repair

anyone who has attempted to cook dark meat chicken, like a chicken leg
will know that its not just accumulated grease dripping.....

chicken leg thigh is near instant flare up

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
anyone who has attempted to cook dark meat chicken, like a chicken leg
will know that its not just accumulated grease dripping.....

chicken leg thigh is near instant flare up

Not if done right on a good grill. I do them all the time and no, I don't
have flare ups. Used to on my old Sunbeam grill, but not now. You really
do get more when you pay more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 24 Apr 2006 07:37:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

"Hogwild" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

There are many folks who can manage to pay $200 periodically to replace
their grills, but could never afford a $1200 outlay all at once.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

what model grill do you have? no flare ups with dark meat
chicken....?????????????

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
what model grill do you have? no flare ups with dark meat
chicken....?????????????

I have a Vermont Castings VC200. That model has been replaced and is
similar to this one but with an infra red rotisserie burner.
http://www.myownbbq.com/content/prod...ils.cfm?id=277

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

With the money I saved on my grill, I can afford T-bones that don't
flare up

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message

No different than driving a low end Escort or a Caddy to
work. They both will get you to work. It's all about choice.

There are many folks who can manage to pay $200 periodically to replace
their grills, but could never afford a $1200 outlay all at once.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

That is why both are made. I got tired of the cheap grills so I saved and
got a good one.

My point is that while any grill is better than no grill, those that insist
that the $1000 grill is no better than the $100 grill have not had the
experience. Just like Gin or Bourbon, or Scocth. The $10 a bottle stuff
looks identical to the $35 a bottle stuff, but there sure is a difference in
the drinking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Apr 2006 07:48:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message

No different than driving a low end Escort or a Caddy to work. They
both will get you to work. It's all about choice.

There are many folks who can manage to pay $200 periodically to replace
their grills, but could never afford a $1200 outlay all at once.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

That is why both are made. I got tired of the cheap grills so I saved
and got a good one.

My point is that while any grill is better than no grill, those that
insist that the $1000 grill is no better than the $100 grill have not
had the experience. Just like Gin or Bourbon, or Scocth. The $10 a
bottle stuff looks identical to the $35 a bottle stuff, but there sure
is a difference in the drinking.

I agree with you for the most part. However, there are high-end grills
that have features I would never use, and I don't want to pay for them. I
like having a good quality grill, but all I want is a flat grill surface
with at least 3 burners and a heavy cast housing. I have no need for an
infrared vertical back burner, rotisserie, side burner, or other bells and
whistles I also don't care for stainless steel, the stuff that most high-
end grills are made of, and that goes for kitchen appliances as well.

A grill lacking all those "features" also costs considerably less.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
I agree with you for the most part. However, there are high-end grills
that have features I would never use, and I don't want to pay for them. I
like having a good quality grill, but all I want is a flat grill surface
with at least 3 burners and a heavy cast housing. I have no need for an
infrared vertical back burner, rotisserie, side burner, or other bells and
whistles I also don't care for stainless steel, the stuff that most high-
end grills are made of, and that goes for kitchen appliances as well.

A grill lacking all those "features" also costs considerably less.

They look for a Beefeater made in Australia. Minimal features, but well
made and powerful. They do make quality grill with just the basics, but a
cheap grill will always be a cheap grill.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

For those who can wait, Home Cheapo puts their assembled display grills
at 50% off in mid-summer, and a good deal if you can find the one you
want with all the parts still present.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Apr 2006 03:23:30a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
I agree with you for the most part. However, there are high-end grills
that have features I would never use, and I don't want to pay for them.
I like having a good quality grill, but all I want is a flat grill
surface with at least 3 burners and a heavy cast housing. I have no
need for an infrared vertical back burner, rotisserie, side burner, or
other bells and whistles I also don't care for stainless steel, the
stuff that most high- end grills are made of, and that goes for kitchen
appliances as well.

A grill lacking all those "features" also costs considerably less.

They look for a Beefeater made in Australia. Minimal features, but well
made and powerful. They do make quality grill with just the basics, but
a cheap grill will always be a cheap grill.

Thanks, Ed. I'll take a look.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Thoughts and concerns / design ideas for using a grill on a deck? 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 7 December 25th 05 06:17 PM
Gas cooking on the grill from a full-size oven. meirman Home Repair 2 December 13th 04 02:45 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
gas grill burns in the wrong place Ray Heindl Home Repair 11 December 8th 04 11:37 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM