Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

Default Gas grill question

On Mon 24 Apr 2006 07:37:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

"Hogwild" wrote in message
. ..
I'd also like to hear an "experts" opinion on steel heat
dissipators versus lava rock.

I suspect it will make little difference in taste with only real
charcoal having the unequalled taste advantage.

Perhaps the drippings burn differently (at a different rate) on a
steel dissipator compared to lava rock, imparting a different flavour.

They work as well or better since the plates can heat up faster. Yes,
the drippings give off some smoke and impart some flavor.

(Personally I buy a $200.00 barbecue every 4 years or so and use it
2-3 times a week all year. It would take 24 years for a $1200.00
barbeque to equal that payback)

Suite yourself. It is not cost payback, but convenience, features,
quality of the cooking that counts for many of us so we are willing to
pay more to get more. Just eliminating all the flareups is worth
something. No different than driving a low end Escort or a Caddy to
work. They both will get you to work. It's all about choice.

There are many folks who can manage to pay $200 periodically to replace
their grills, but could never afford a $1200 outlay all at once.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬