meirman

Default Gas cooking on the grill from a full-size oven.

I remember hearing that one shouldn't grill over a fire with a
refrigerator shelp as the grill (even when they were just metal, and
not covered with vinyl), but

Is it ok to grill over a fire using the shelf (grill) from a kitchen
oven?

Or to use one, part of one, as the cooking grill in a charcoal or gas
grill, or to hold the lava rocks in a gas grill?

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Edwin Pawlowski

"meirman" wrote in message
I remember hearing that one shouldn't grill over a fire with a
refrigerator shelp as the grill (even when they were just metal, and
not covered with vinyl), but

Is it ok to grill over a fire using the shelf (grill) from a kitchen
oven?

Sure. The refrigerator shelves can be galvanized and the zinc will
contaminate the food. You should not ingest large amounts of zinc. Grates
from the oven do not have that type of coating and are perfectly safe to
use.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:01:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"meirman" wrote in message
.. .
I remember hearing that one shouldn't grill over a fire with a
refrigerator shelp as the grill (even when they were just metal, and
not covered with vinyl), but

Is it ok to grill over a fire using the shelf (grill) from a kitchen
oven?

Sure. The refrigerator shelves can be galvanized and the zinc will
contaminate the food. You should not ingest large amounts of zinc. Grates
from the oven do not have that type of coating and are perfectly safe to
use.

I don't think it was zinc....
Pretty sure the poison was cadmium plated refrigerator shelves.
Heat would releast the cad plating into the food.
I don't think the lawyers let them do that any more.
rj