Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Programmable Thermostat ****ing me off

I have a INDIGLO programmable thermostat. It worked ok when I was
gone during the day at work, but I am now retired and that thing is
really ****ing me off. I bet I go to that thing 30 times a day to
increase the heat. I set the heat to maybe 65, and an hour later its
back t 60 again. I turn it up, an hour later it's 60 again. This is
reduculous.

Does anyone know if there is a way to override these things?
Otherwise I am going to just get rid of it and get a regular
thermostat. One would think that when I raise the heat to 65 it would
stay that way until the next daily change. In other words, I had it
set to go to 55 during the day when I was at work, and change to 65
shortly before I returned home. But somehow this thing decided to set
itself to always default to 60, and everytime i raise it, it heats to
whatever I set it to, then once it heats that ONE TIME, it goes back
to 60. We are having a cold spell, and I have not been feeling well
and staying in bed, but I got to keep getting out of bed to raise the
heat every hour. This thing is really ****ing me off.

Can they be made to work as a regular thermostat (stay at the temp I
turn it to), or do I need to replace it?

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

I have a INDIGLO programmable thermostat. It worked ok when I was
gone during the day at work,

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you decide to chuck it and get a new one, there are some great deals
on Ebay. I just got a Honeywell touchscreen one for 40% off what it
retails for.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lionel

wrote in message

Can they be made to work as a regular thermostat (stay at the temp I
turn it to), or do I need to replace it?

Mark

I had a similar problem until I read the instructions and learned that I
needed to press the HOLD button after setting the temperature. This
effectively suspends the programmer and keeps the current setting active.
Yours may have a similar feature, or you could simply change the program.
Go to www.hunter-thermostats.com, use the "contact us" link and ask where
you can get the instructions.

Don't blame the equipment because it doesn't work the way you would have
designed it. Learn how it's supposed to be used. It worked fine before you
retired because it was programmed to reduce the heat when you were at work
during the day. If this is your biggest post-retirement challenge, you
haven't attempted the Medicare pharmacy program.

Lionel
Retired since 2001, and occupied with putting the house back together from
the exposed studs after Hurricane Ivan - September 16, 2004. Great home
repair experience and training in patience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Moran wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 02:03:09 -0600, wrote:

[...]

If you are running it in program mode this is what it is supposed to
do. You can either program it to maintain the temp for longer while in
program mode or just put it in hold mode. While in hold mode it will
not return to 60 if working properly.

What he's claiming is that when he overides it, it goes back to 60
sometime later BEFORE the next program change should occur. At least,
that's what I think he's saying.

And when recently looking for a thermostat, I looked as some manuals
online. I recall reading in one of them a description, that while
confusing, and not making a lot of sense to me, seemed to say if
overidden, it would only hold that temp for a certain period of time or
until the next program change, whichever came first. I moved on to
the next thermo, cause that made no sense to me!

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Mark,

As others have indicated it sounds as if you are not using this
thermostat correctly or it is broken. If you have the manual then read it.
If not then see if you can download it. INDIGLO is a trademark of the "glow
in the dark" feature and is probably not the name of the thermostat, so try
Googling with the model number and the manufacturer's name. My Honeywell
programmable does work the way that you describe.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

RTFM

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

You probably just need to replace the battery. The normal way these
things work is that if you manually change the temperature setting (and
don't hit HOLD), it stays that way until the next programmed change. If
you manually change and then press HOLD, it stays that way
indefinitely. Pressing the reset button will reset the programming,
which might be set as a default to something like 60 during week days,
68 in the morning and evenings, 68 on weekend days. And it sounds like
that is what you are living with.

If your battery is dead, it probably forgets everything after 5 or 10
minutes, including your manual change. Since you have been struggling
with this for 4 years (!!), I am guessing that your battery is at least
that old. It's usually just a single AA battery in the thermostat
itself.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:41:22 GMT, Roy Starrin
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 02:03:09 -0600, wrote:

I have a INDIGLO programmable thermostat. It worked ok when I was
gone during the day at work, but I am now retired and that thing is
really ****ing me off.
Can they be made to work as a regular thermostat (stay at the temp I
turn it to), or do I need to replace it?

First of all, it sounds like it is working like it is supposed to, or
rather like it is programmed to. You are attempting to override the
t-stat and apparently not doing it the way the t-stat demands.
Now, w/o knowing what maker, model, etc it is, it is almost impossible
to find something to help you reprogram it. E.G. I have a Trane
programmable t-stat made for them by Honeywell. It has an "indiglo'
feature, but it is not an Indiglo Thermostat.
Here is one large maker of t-stats with an indiglo featu
http://www.supco.com/images/CTC%20Thermostats.pdf
Their site address is on the page. Send them an email, or call them
up, if your model is among those listed. They maybe can help you over
the phone, or you might be able to access the specific instructions
for your model over the internet.
Or, you can call your local installer.
Or you can tell us what the make and model is and maybe we can help.
Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Thanks to all that replied. You may be right. This came with the
house so there is no manual. I looked on the Hunter website and they
dont have my model listed. I sent them a email and hope they respond
soon. However there is a HOLD botton, and I had no clue what that was
for. Maybe that is the ticket. I will try it. Last night I pushed a
piece of wire in the RESET hole, which I assume removes all the
programming. I was desparate to do something, because I am sick and
freezing my butt off because of that thing. I reset the clock to the
correct time but did nothing else. So now, it seems to be staying
where I set it, because there is nothing programmed.
I have been fighting with this thing all winter long for 4 years,
resetting it every hour or so, all day and night, except from 5pm to
10pm at which time it was often too hot. When I was working it was
fine, but not since, and it finally got to me last night. I was
wishing I had one of those old round Honeywells in my junk box because
I would have changed it right then and there.

You know they put instructions on the small panel door, but even with
my best glasses I cant read it. I never could figure out why things
like this dont have a slot in the back where the instructions could be
placed on some cardstock. I guess they dont understand that us old
farts dont have the best eyes. But I dont think I could haev read
that door when I was 20.

BTW: It is a HUNTER, and the model is 44155B (their website has a
44155C, but not the "B"). The "C" looks much different.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Most digital thermostats nowadays come with two sets of instructions (may be
two separate booklets, or one): One contains the instructions for the
installer. Here you set the basic type of furnace, the anticipator or the
cycling rate (your problem?), the readouts in F or C, etc. The second set of
instructions is for the owner: It tells you how to program the thermostat
for different days, how to set the date and time, etc.

Be sure the read both sets of instructions

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Feb 2006 07:32:29 -0800, "kevin" wrote:

You probably just need to replace the battery. The normal way these
things work is that if you manually change the temperature setting (and
don't hit HOLD), it stays that way until the next programmed change. If
you manually change and then press HOLD, it stays that way
indefinitely. Pressing the reset button will reset the programming,
which might be set as a default to something like 60 during week days,
68 in the morning and evenings, 68 on weekend days. And it sounds like
that is what you are living with.

If your battery is dead, it probably forgets everything after 5 or 10
minutes, including your manual change. Since you have been struggling
with this for 4 years (!!), I am guessing that your battery is at least
that old. It's usually just a single AA battery in the thermostat
itself.

-Kevin

Thanks for you help. I changed the batteries a couple months ago, and
they display still lights so they seem ok. But I have never used that
hold button, so that might be the whole problem. You could be right
about those settings, because I dont recall ever setting anything to
60. I went lower than that when I was at work, to save fuel, and
higher when I planned to be home. Yeah, I know I put this off way too
long. I am good at procrastinating with things like that. I didnt
have a manual so it always seemed like too much hassle to screw with.
I almost bought a new thermostat (regular one) not too long ago, but
decided to try to reset mine (which I never did).
I guess I got to be too sick to work outside to make me do these
little jobs in the house....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

On most programmable thermostats, if you turn it up, that is called
TEMPORARY OVERIDE. It will hold that temperature for 1 HOUR, then
revert to program. Program to 65 degrees during day, then quit playing
with it.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stretch wrote:
On most programmable thermostats, if you turn it up, that is called
TEMPORARY OVERIDE. It will hold that temperature for 1 HOUR, then
revert to program. Program to 65 degrees during day, then quit playing
with it.

Stretch

I have to disagree with that this is the way most work. I've had
several, and all would hold the temporary overide until the next
programmed changed occurs. It's relatively uncommon to find ones that
will change on there own before the next change is due. And I think
for most home users, it's a good way to get thermostats returned, cause
if I bought one that worked like that, I'd take it back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lionel wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

On most thermostats, when you manually change the temp, that temp will
be maintained until the next scheduled programmed change, without doing
anything else. If you press hold, it will maintain that temp
indefinitely. Some also have a vacation hold mode, where you can
specify how many days you want the hold to last, which is a feature I
like.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On 18 Feb 2006 04:19:26 -0800, "Stretch" wrote:

On most programmable thermostats, if you turn it up, that is called
TEMPORARY OVERIDE. It will hold that temperature for 1 HOUR, then
revert to program. Program to 65 degrees during day, then quit playing
with it.

Or, in the case of my White Rogers, turning the temperature up or down
(also known as temporary override) sets the temperature until the next
programmed temperature change. There's no one-hour temperature hold
feature on my thermostat, but there is a HOLD feature, where you can
set the temperature and then tell the thermostat to hold it
indefinitely, until you change the settings again or return it to the
program.