Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve W.

Default Help for Install of Programmable Thermostat

I've just bought a new house and it has a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 2
speed gas furnace that's currently controlled by a manual
White-Rodgers thermostat (1E50W-303).

When I had the furance serviced, the tech told me that it is a single
stage thermostat and I should consider replacing it since I've got a
multistage furance.

I bought a White-Rodgers 1F81-261 multi-stage programmable thermostat
and had a question on the installation.

On the current manual thermostat, there is a green, red and white wire
connected. On the new thermostat, there is a terminal for a 2nd white
wire to activate stage 2. Do I need to just jumper W1 to W2 in order
to activate stage 2? If not, what do I need to do?

Also the manual talks about how to using the 2nd stage setting. The
manual says,

Select Stage Fast (ON or OFF) - When selected ON, the
second stage starts as soon as the setpoint temperature is
manually raised 3° F in heat or lowered 3° F in cool from
room temperature. When selected OFF, the second stage
will delay approximately 15 minutes before starting.

Can anyone recommend how I should set this, whether as ON or OFF?
Would I burn less fuel if I leave the setting off and let it run
mostly in stage 1?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

links for your manuals and faq are
at:http://www.white-rodgers.com/common/...s.htm#1F81-261

instructionpdf:
http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/in.../0037-6228.pdf

http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/04...Cat_pg_191.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
hvactech2

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:00:56 GMT, Steve W. wrote:

[...]

you are better off letting the second stage cycle on temperature. Does
this unit have A/C? In any case you will need to pull some new wire.
and there are some setup options that need to be changed on the unit
itself. If you have no idea what any of this means you would be better
off calling your hvac co. back to do it for you.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Steve W." wrote in message
news
I've just bought a new house and it has a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 2
speed gas furnace that's currently controlled by a manual
White-Rodgers thermostat (1E50W-303).

When I had the furance serviced, the tech told me that it is a single
stage thermostat and I should consider replacing it since I've got a
multistage furance.

I bought a White-Rodgers 1F81-261 multi-stage programmable thermostat
and had a question on the installation.

On the current manual thermostat, there is a green, red and white wire
connected. On the new thermostat, there is a terminal for a 2nd white
wire to activate stage 2. Do I need to just jumper W1 to W2 in order
to activate stage 2? If not, what do I need to do?

Sounds to me like you don't have enough wires to do the job.