Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Default Getting the battery out.... :-

OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I
thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I
thought, being so far up in there.

This question came up recently. Check this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/7zuvt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Harris

"Apropos" wrote in message
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit
and is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the
flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into
the end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult
than I
thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Bang it real hard, base down, on a piece of scrap lumber. It may take a fews
shots but eventually they'll loosen and come out.

When you get the battery out, check the brand and mail the bad battery and
the flashlight to them. They'll send you a check for a new lite, batterties,
and reimburse your postage if you ask for it.

Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair
BeBo

"Herb Harris" herb@harris wrote in message
Bang it real hard, base down, on a piece of scrap lumber. It may take a

fews
shots but eventually they'll loosen and come out.

this is why products cost me more because of PETTY abusers like you

you probably wash paint brushes out and take them back
you probably take a huge bite of your chicken sandwich knowing good and well
you ordered hambuger, only to say "hey I ordered the polla"
you probably eat the free chips they give you at mexican jaunts and then,
get up and leave after you take a crap in their toilet

nuff said petty abuser

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Apropos" wrote in
:

OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an
answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a
bit and is stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the
flashlight tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw
into the end of the battery for something to pull on but that proved
more difficult than I thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Soak the tube in vinegar to dissolve the leaking electrolyte.(alkaline
cells)

Then get a dowel to pound on the cells.
Last resort os a slide-hammer puller,used to pull out automotive body
dents.It screws into the dent(or your cell),and a weight slides on the
shaft to act as a hammer.

OR,you send it off to the battery maker,and they replace the whole
flashlight.(weeks later).
Now,after you have begin repair attempts yourself,this may not work.

IMO,Duracells leak more often than Everready.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"BeBo" wrote in message news:u1Evf.135$ya4.95@trnddc03...

"Herb Harris" herb@harris wrote in message
Bang it real hard, base down, on a piece of scrap lumber. It may take a

fews
shots but eventually they'll loosen and come out.

this is why products cost me more because of PETTY abusers like you

you probably wash paint brushes out and take them back
you probably take a huge bite of your chicken sandwich knowing good and
well
you ordered hambuger, only to say "hey I ordered the polla"
you probably eat the free chips they give you at mexican jaunts and then,
get up and leave after you take a crap in their toilet

nuff said petty abuser

Shut the **** up!

NOW it's nuff said, douchebag.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Apropos" wrote in
:

[...]

Peel up the rubber button cover- there is a setscrew under there that
unlocks the switch assembly, and allows it to come out the front of the
flashlight. Had to do it on mine to retension the spring that rides on top
of the battery stack. (Current maglites are built a lot cheaper than the
ones from 10-15 years ago, IMHO.) Once the switch is out, the dowel trick
should work. Then sanitize all the parts with baking soda or vinegar
(depending on battery flavor), rinse, allow to dry at least a day, and
reassemble. Don't forget to silicone the threads and O-rings.

Now that prices have come down so much, who is going to expend the time and
shipping costs to maybe get a replacement on a 20-buck flashlight? Maybe
back when they were mil-spec quality, cost 40 bucks, and were only available
in gun shops that sold cop stuff, but now that every big-box has them?

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

Recently had the same problem with a
mini-Mag. I punched a little
hole in the - flat end, threaded in a
screw and pulled. It came right out.

ameijers wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

"Apropos" wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an
answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a
bit and is stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the
flashlight tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw
into the end of the battery for something to pull on but that proved
more difficult than I thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

I'll repeat my last advice. If you don't use it regularly, but a cheap
disposable.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

Red Neckerson wrote:

Shut the **** up!

NOW it's nuff said, douchebag.....

now now, the fellas just telling it like it T.I. is

did BeBo step on ya foot or something?

got old toes?

what is it then

you think it's ok to break stuff and get paid to break it at my expense

WELL DO YOU SONNY!

damn kids

Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

Argh!

man down! man down!

doesn't baking soda neutralize battery acid

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I
thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Throw it away. If you really want to mess with
it, poor hot water into. If that doesn't work you
may need to poor some diluted vinegar in. If you
get it loose, wash it out with more hot water and
thoroughly dry it before putting batteries in.

Actually they make tools that have a long shank
with a screw threads on the end.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:12:53 -0500, "Apropos"
wrote:

OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I
thought, being so far up in there.

Have you tried holding the light and swinging your whole extended arm
fast and stopping suddenly? Like a fishing rod?

I don't think I've ever seen a maglite, and i've never done this
either, but try this. Mount it and another object of similar weight**
on opposite side of some sort of wheel, with the open end of the
flashlight pointed out. Put them as far from the center as the wheel
allows. You could use a bicycle wheel, but if the wheel is still on
the bicycle, there probably wouldn't be room for it to rotate with the
flashlight attached. you could mount the wheel somewhere else for
this purpose, but I don't know if hand spinning the wheel, or pushing
on the spokes with a stick would make it go fast enough. Maybe.

If not try a buffing attachment for an electric drll, or a device you
make youself with plywood and a mandrill. The plywood doesn't have to
be round as long as you put the mandrill in the center, by weight.
Balance the wood on your finger, or on a pencil point, to find the
center of gravity. Drll the hole there, and mount the mandrill.

Attach the flashlight and counterweight, and check your balance again.
It might even be better to first attach these 2 things to the wood and
have them attached when you find the center of gravity for the whole
thing. Provice some method to keep the whole flashlight from spinning
off when the time comes.

Start spinning slow and gradulally increase speed. Do this out doors,
away from anyone or anything you could injure. At some speed, the
battery will shoot out of the flashlight like a clown out of a cannon.
If you perfect this, you may be able to get even with the neighbor 3
doors away. Although there is no telling if your missile will go up,
down, or sideways. Place yourself away from the plane of rotation of
the wood. At high speed this thing might go 100's of feet. Perhaps
if low speeds don't work at home (I think they will), you coudl go to
an empty parking garage, like in a business area on a Sunday and they
might have an electric outlet available. I have seen that. Or a
farm.

**The counterweight should match the weight of the flashlight
(although if the wood is centered after both are mounted to the wood,
I guess this isn't necessary. Remember that the wood has to be
centered on both axes, not just left to right for example)

But if the center of the wood has been prechosen, perhaps there is a
hole there already or your using a buffer wheel: then once the center
of gravity of the flashlight and the counterweight are found, the
distance from each center of gravity to the center of the wheel should
be the same. Apparently that's all one need to do to have the wheel
in balance. Although you should check before you start spinning.

Balance may not have to be perfect. It's like an unbalanced tire on a
car. It will vibrate a little, and more as speed increases, but still
maybe so little as to not interfere before the battery is expelled. I
think at a certain speed the vibration will resonate with something,
and it will get much worse. That was certainly the case when one of
my cylinders wasn't firing, Then when I went faster, the vibration
died away again. Don't know too much about this, but I would hold
the drill down firmly and not go too fast. Either clamp the drill in
place, use a fixed motor, and be prepared to let go when the whole
ething tries to escape.

I wonder if you should put some wd-40 in the open part of the
flashlight, so it moves more easily after it stops. That stuff is
quite thin too and might seem in to where the battery is now. I
suppose you should wipe it all oout afterwards.

Argh!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Yes, it does. However, alkaline batteries (flashlight cells) don't contain
acid.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"chickenwing" wrote in message
oups.com...

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

Argh!

man down! man down!

doesn't baking soda neutralize battery acid

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an
answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a
bit and is stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the
flashlight tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw
into the end of the battery for something to pull on but that proved
more difficult than I thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

I'll repeat my last advice. If you don't use it regularly, but a
cheap
disposable.

Interestingly,I saw a small version of that "Faraday flashlight",the one
you shake to charge up,and has a small LED. On TV,the big one sells for
$20,and you get a small one as a "bonus".
In a dollar store,the small one sold alone for $3,so I bought one.
Now,they are not a powerful torch,but they will allow you to navigate a
dark room,and the LED runs for quite a while on just a couple of shakes,and
even retains a charge for many hours in the 'off' postion.For 3 bucks,it is
a good buy,IMO.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

This has GOT to be the WORST idea I've heard yet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Apropos wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Faraday-ForeverS... cmdZViewItem

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Jim Yanik wrote:

snip
In a dollar store,the small one sold alone for $3,so I bought one.

snip

I thought the whole concept of a "dollar store" was that things didn't
cost $3.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 7 Jan 2006 16:18:27 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Apropos wrote:
[...]

I have one of those flashlights. It uses no battery, but a 1 Farad
capacitor. Not very bright, but would be nice to keep in the car for
emergencies (no dead batteries).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull

In article , CJT
wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

snip
In a dollar store,the small one sold alone for $3,so I bought one.

snip

I thought the whole concept of a "dollar store" was that things didn't
cost $3.

And Motel 6 was supposed to cost $6/night. Then the war brought
inflation...

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 03:24:43 GMT, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article , CJT
wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

snip
In a dollar store,the small one sold alone for $3,so I bought one.

snip

I thought the whole concept of a "dollar store" was that things didn't
cost $3.

And Motel 6 was supposed to cost $6/night.

I thought it was $6.66

Then the war brought
inflation...

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

LOL -

Seems no one here has any better ideas than I how to do this...

"Apropos" wrote in message
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and

is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the

end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I
thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:11:29 -0500, "Apropos"
wrote:

LOL -

Seems no one here has any better ideas than I how to do this...

It's just that nobody cares.

Find a concrete sidewalk.
Take the back off the flashlight.
Take the front off the flashlight.
Remove the bulb.
Slam the butt of the flashlight against
the sidewalk until the batteries come out.

(Like a pile-driver, not like a bat)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Goedjn wrote in
:

wrote:

LOL -

Seems no one here has any better ideas than I how to do this...

It's just that nobody cares.

Find a concrete sidewalk.
Take the back off the flashlight.
Take the front off the flashlight.
Remove the bulb.
Slam the butt of the flashlight against
the sidewalk until the batteries come out.

(Like a pile-driver, not like a bat)

Then throw it all in the garbage.
(after slamming aluminum into concrete,the endcap will not thread on any
more.At least you could suggest pounding it on a piece of WOOD)

Best to just send it to the battery manufacturer and have them replace it.

(I also would not use any "advise" from this guy,either!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik