Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Getting the battery out.... :-

Apropos wrote:
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and is
stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight
tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the end
of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I
thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Throw it away. If you really want to mess with
it, poor hot water into. If that doesn't work you
may need to poor some diluted vinegar in. If you
get it loose, wash it out with more hot water and
thoroughly dry it before putting batteries in.

Actually they make tools that have a long shank
with a screw threads on the end.