Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Getting the battery out.... :-

"Apropos" wrote in
:

OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an
answer:

I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a
bit and is stuck hard in the metal tube.

Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the
flashlight tube?

I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and
screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw
into the end of the battery for something to pull on but that proved
more difficult than I thought, being so far up in there.

Argh!

Soak the tube in vinegar to dissolve the leaking electrolyte.(alkaline
cells)

Then get a dowel to pound on the cells.
Last resort os a slide-hammer puller,used to pull out automotive body
dents.It screws into the dent(or your cell),and a weight slides on the
shaft to act as a hammer.

OR,you send it off to the battery maker,and they replace the whole
flashlight.(weeks later).
Now,after you have begin repair attempts yourself,this may not work.

IMO,Duracells leak more often than Everready.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik